Drill, shouting and all things parade ground..

It has just struck me after finding the following item, that a vaguely military themed site such as Arrse should really have a thread about the antics performed on drill squares around the planet, both silent (we would not wish to discriminate against the QCS!) and to music..

To start the ball rolling I give you this..

Only in the USA could you find such a presentation of precision mincing, but wait to you see the entrance of the Badge..! I await a similar performance at the next Birthday parade...!

It has just struck me after finding the following item, that a vaguely military themed site such as Arrse should really have a thread about the antics performed on drill squares around the planet, both silent (we would not wish to discriminate against the QCS!) and to music..

Only in the USA could you find such a presentation of precision mincing, but wait to you see the entrance of the Badge..! I await a similar performance at the next Birthday parade...!
It's Ohio they're all like that down there. Nearly as bad as overpaid football players kissing and trying to shag each other after a goal is scored.

I once had sex in the middle of the parade square. It was the early hours of Sunday morning, and I was on my way back to the block.

There were three of them, but they were never caught.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
One of my last acts in 15/19H was to parade for Princess Margaret at the award of a new guidon.

We started training in February, always wearing a lot of kit. By the July Guidon Parade, we were fully acclimatised to wearing hot kit in the height of a Paderborn summer. (On the day, it rained...)

Our last parade before the dress rehearsal, B Squadron had the regimental square to ourselves apart from the RSM, the legend that was John Christian RIP, supervising the erection of the grandstand. (It was also his last significant act as RSM. Nothing was going to go wrong on HIS parade.)

We ran through the whole parade step perfect. At the end we were hot but elated. Then JC's voice boomed across the width of the square. "Sarn't Major I'd like a word. I've been watching you, B Squadron ..." 120 B Squadron hearts fell. "That was bloody good. Sarn't Major, give them the rest of the afternoon off." 120 B Squadron hearts lifted. Rare praise from JC. (Though having spent two years in a Command Troop Sultan with him, I can state he was absolutely fair and honest.)

I'd also spent a year in Command Troop driving my now SSM's rebroadcast Ferret. I saw his face full of pride for a split second.

"Carry on, Sarn't Major."

"B Squadron, squadroooooon, shun. When I match you off, on word of command Buh, I want to hear your left heal strike the ground. On the word of command Ruh, I want to hear your right foot strike the ground. By the right, quick march. Buh, ruh, buh, ruh, buh, ruh, brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbr geddoffthesquare!"

I was first to the armoury to hand in my weapon.

Last edited:
It is the ohio State University Marching Band - not a military band. In what masquerades as an educational system here more emphasis is placed on the prowess of individuals sporting activity closely followed by marching bands and cheerleading rather than academic ability. Because of that skewed focus on what kids should be learning at skool and university major corporations have to look outside the USA for clever people to do clever jobs, ie. my Mrs. My Mrs in turn needs programmers, analysts and risk analysts for the business and she recruits them from India, China and europe because Americans can attend interviews talking about which church they are a member of, or for which university they played football, blew a trumpet, or twirled a baton.

To graduate from High School in Texas you need 26 academic credits - my lad is graduating a year early next year as he is breezing through the academics, he could have graduated 2 years early but wanted to stay at skool with his mates for an extra year. Anyway for those of lesser academic ability being a member of a Marching Band will count towards academic credit, I think in music, just as being a football player counts towards academic credit in PE.

Last edited:
If you want the top end of precision drilling and drum beating look at the Top Secret Drum Corps from Basel, Suisse.

That was more homosexual than several mixed batches of poo flecked sperm on a gentleman's chin.

Cringeworthy.

Last edited:
One of my last acts in 15/19H was to parade for Princess Margaret at the award of a new guidon.

We started training in February, always wearing a lot of kit. By the July Guidon Parade, we were fully acclimatised to wearing hot kit in the height of a Paderborn summer. (On the day, it rained...)

Our last parade before the dress rehearsal, B Squadron had the regimental square to ourselves apart from the RSM, the legend that was John Christian RIP, supervising the erection of the grandstand. (It was also his last significant act as RSM. Nothing was going to go wrong on HIS parade.)

We ran through the whole parade step perfect. At the end we were hot but elated. Then JC's voice boomed across the width of the square. "Sarn't Major I'd like a word. I've been watching you, B Squadron ..." 120 B Squadron hearts fell. "That was bloody good. Sarn't Major, give them the rest of the afternoon off." 1 20 B Squadron hearts lifted. Rare praise from JC. (Though having spent two years in a Command Troop Sultan with him, I can state he was absolutely fair and honest.)

I'd also spent a year in Command Troop driving my now SSM's rebroadcast Ferret. I saw his face full of pride for a split second.

"Carry on, Sarn't Major."

"B Squadron, squadroooooon, shun. When I match you off, on word of command Buh, I want to hear your left heal strike the ground. On the word of command Ruh, I want to hear your right foot strike the ground. By the right, quick march. Buh, ruh, buh, ruh, buh, ruh, brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbr geddoffthesquare!"

I was first to the armoury to hand in my weapon.
Thank you for your service.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

:scratch:

To bring things back to a slightly more serious note.. I just wonder how this:

translates into this:

... I did say "slightly"!

Spats and patent leather footwear should never be seen. The raging mincers.

If you want the top end of precision drilling and drum beating look at the Top Secret Drum Corps from Basel, Suisse.

When you want a decent bit of drumming and band marching aboutery look no further.

and of course the absolute classic...

Last edited: