Drill Question

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by thiswayup, Sep 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Officer on parade, 2 salutes or 1? We rarely do drill :oops: )

Cheers TWU

2. I take it you are refering to the command "officer on parade, fall out". The correct drill (from what I can remember) is a right turn followed by a salute, then 3 paces marching. Hope this helps.

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Depends on how many times yopu fcuk it up :wink:

4. I have been out of the loop for a while but when I taught drill there was no such cautionary word of command in the Manual of Army Drill as "Officer on Parade" to be followed by the executive word of command: Dismiss"

I was taught that the correct cautionary word of command, given clearly, loudly and as an order wth pause when a parade was dismissed in the presence of a commissioned officer, was:

"Turn to the Right and Salute!"

Followed by the Executive word of Command:

"Dismiss"

On receipt of the executive word of command, the squad would turn to the right, pause of two three, salute with the Right hand, pause of two three, again salute, further pause of two, three and then step of on the left foot, march three paces and break off:

"I was taught that "Officer on Parade" simply arises out of common usage originating in sycophancy and is the Drill equivalent of colloquial 'slang' that strictly-speaking, is an unauthorised command since it is outside of the Drill Manual!

Whether or not the Drill Manual has since been amended is unclear but unless your unit copy of it expressly states it as a word of command you should not teach it.

Regards and best wishes
    Iolis

5. That'll be four times then :roll:

Cheers for the explanation Iolis, been in for 19 years now and have always heard it referred to as that. Even during basic training.

6. Auld-Yin

Iolis,

I don't know (but suspect) which side of the fence you are or were on, but in my long memory, if there were officers on parade then the person dismissing the squad would say so by using the 'Ruperts on parade - dismiss'.

Now it could be argued that officers are not 'On Parade' as they are not part of that particular scenario. However, if the Pl Comd comes down to watch the Pl Sgt taking his Platoon on drill then 'OOP' is appropriate.

In the same light, if an officer 'wanders' down to watch the fun and is there at the grisly end then 'OOP' is appropriate.

It saves 30+ blokes all waking (marching smartly) off parade and giving individual salutes to the rupert in attendance which have to be acknowledged. It also acknowledges that the NCO taking that parade has a commissioned officer to whom he, and the men under him, are obliged to give the appropriate compliment.

The question is crap - occifer there, then OOP is totally appropriate.

Common usage my arrse.

7. i think TWU may be getting confused with the "saluting to the front" movement carried out on the march, which does involve saluting twice.

8. t s important that the right issue be addressed. The issue is not what is or is not appropriate. The issue is what or what is not wthin the Drill Manual.

That which is contained within it is recognised and is taught. That which is not and is outside it is not taught.

Appropriateness or lack of it only becomes a live issue when the question arises as to whether or not to give the words of command recognised and taught from that Manual.

If officers are in the vicinity of any number of troops ether individually or collectively, the military protocol requres that they be saluted.

If they are in the vicinity of a parade, whether or not they are on it then they are entitled to compliments by those required to give it. Thus, it becomes appropropriate to give the word of command required.

Turn to the right and salute - Dismiss.

A simple word of command which avoids the complication of determining whether or not a rupert or Rodney is or is not on parade!

9. What the fcuk is DRILL. Isn't that for bullsh1t units.

10. Drill and saluting - all new to me.

Sounds like pure bullsh!t. NOT my idea of soldiering.

11. Auld-Yin

So, when the Pl Comd comes out to watch the Pl Sgt, or one of the Cpls, say goodnight to the troops, he is to be ignored? I don't think so.

'In the vicinity' might be nice and tidy for a non-teeth arm Corps but in my day (looooooooooong time ago) if an occifer looked as though he was taking an interest in the goings on (not necessarily on the square - could be whereever a formed body of men were) then it was OOP. In fact the rupert may not have been the slightest bit interested, but the NCO in charge would still have used OOP as the RSM might have been very interested.

In the same vein, if the word of command was OOP Dismiss, then said occifer was obliged to return the compliment; and not for the first time was a rupert caught out 'cos his mind was elsewhere.

Changed days mehaps :cry:

12. But your Guards am I right - different ball game mate.

BT.

13. Not your idea of soldiering? - then I suggest that you need to reconsider your career and then buggeroff!

14. In my day,(swing that lamp shuffle that sand) The officer would ask the NCO to dismiss the parade.
    The NCO would salute the officer, he would return the complement (some times thay forget) , The NCO would about turn to face the parade.Cammand OOP Dismiss the parade turns right incline NCO abouts turns to officer then all the parade salute then march 3 pace's and keep going off the parade Sq. But it was a long time ago.

15. No no no, I thought it was once as did most but a couple swore blind it was twice including some bloke who spent a spell recently in Colly.