Drill queery

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by coogan93, Aug 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could somebody please give a deffonition on how many men are in a detail and how many in a squad please. Also am i correct in saying that a squad is 10 or more as you would never march in a box?

Cheers in advance guys.

2. Great question, glad you asked. A detail is a group of soldiers assigned to a specific task (eg, picking up litter), whereas a Squad is a sub-unit led by a NCO and subordinate to a Platoon (in the British Army we tend to call this a 'Section'). Hope that helps.

Incidentally, we don't march in boxes as it can get claustrophobic and requires ventilation and lighting. Much better to use a drill square or similar.

3. funny... i was meaning on the drill square. detail is something like under 9 men and squad over 9 men. something along the lines of that. as for the box you know what i ment dont be an arse :).

4. Under or over 9 men?? has no bearing on a detail or a squad. Read the answer! "Detail - a group detailed to a task (could be 25 or 5 its still a detail)!

Ubique

5. Can see the logic of "detail = detailed to do something," but would you really address two blokes as "squad"?

But maybe the other two answers came from depot drill instructors, in which case I sit corrected ;-)

6. gunner, i understand that and all ready knew that. I was meaning when taking drill the precautionary word of command. If you are only drilling say 4 people is it still squad? I thought if it was less that 9 it was detail.

7. "Queery"--Freudian slip?

8. Detail = file

9. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Never: