Drill Manual question

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by commander, Aug 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi a question on SA80/L96 drill. this occured during ACF camp but have posted it here rather than in ACF forum in the hope of a more accurate reply :D

During the move from stand at ease to stand easy, the rifle is moved to the front of the body slowly, correct so far I hope? the argument is that on the retrun to stand at ease the rifle is moved in a fast movement. I was under the impression that this would cause the rifle to become unbalenced at fall to the ground.

To clarify I found a WO2 Rifles and asked him, he had taken a pass out at Catterick and had used heavy drill not light. His reply was the arms moved bacl slowly to a count of 1000, 2000.

I hope that I have explained this so it makes sense, so what is correct, my drill manual is so out of date it shows something very different.

If anyone has access to the manual and could scan the relevant bits I would be very grateful.
  2. You're not in the infantry, you're in the cadets so do what it says in your pamphlets.
  3. Uh?? read the post, the point I tried to make was that the pamp DOES NOT EXPLAIN IT. So to try and give the kids good information I am came here for help. The pamp is that bad in that it takes you to stand easy but not back, so hopefully you can see where i am coming from, just a bit of help please, us cav types dont do this drill stuff very well :D
  4. T'was a while ago when I did drill with the rifle but...

...you never lose grip of the rifle with your left hand as it moves up and across your chest while your right hand rotates around the lower corner of the butt; that's the first part. So, to recap, you've lifted the thing with your left hand and transferred its weight into the palm of your right hand. Then, after the relevant pause (of '2, 3..' IIRC), your left arm rips away while your right hand draws the rifle back, leaving you in the normal position of attention (or whatever that's called). Then you're but 3 moves away from slope arms (or whatever).

5. They're both moved in timings of 1000, 2000, 3000, 4.
  6. They're both moved in timings of 1000, 2000, 3000, 4.
  7. correct!! in my day, unless it has changed!

edited because i have been carrying out the drill with a rifle that is almost the same as an sa-80!!!
  8. Whatever happened to 'ONE, two, three, ONE'?
  9. I was having flash-backs as I typed that; came out in a cold sweat.

It was none of that girlie sword drill when I was at Sandhaaarst. There really is nothing quite like a foresight thrust into your ear whilst you change arms on a cold winter's morn... or srtanding at the present for 45 mins whilst the Adjt re-inspects the Sovereign's Platoon.
  10. Not to sure if we have same idea, rifle is held in right hand palm under butt, then brought to the front of body slowly while left hand is also brought to the front which supports the right. How do you return from easy? I know it is the reverse but the question is is it a slow controlled one or brought smartly across. I have been told that the Guards have brought the slow time in as to many rifles were crashing to the floor doing it fast.
  11. To be honest, I can't understand how you can drop it; the rifle remains in the left hand grip for more than ample time to allow the right hand to take over.
  12. Nice lamp swinging opportunity,

However it's dangerous practice to work from pamphlets that don't apply to your "issued equipment" (meaning the cadets more than the rifle). Ok, it's only rifle drill, but if you look for the answer through your own chain of command you'll all end up singing from the same hymn sheet and it'll save you having to do any embarrassing explaining when a kid pokes his eye out with the foresight doing something you told him told him to do.
  13. currently rehearsing the AFC grad parade over and b*stard over, the movement is exactly the same as it is brought forward, to the count of 1000 2000 3000 4 with the right hand bringing the rifle back across the body while slowly grasping the bottom with your left hand. the rifle should not fall, its pulled tight into your clavicle and shoulder as you move and this should support it.
  14. As I understand it you are only asking about the movement from the "Easy" to the at "Ease" posn and not a slope arm or any other movement

From Easy to Ease is as you say a slow movement Non jerky and the same for the reverse,is the correct method :)
  15. thanks to London tankie and fatmini, that is just the answer I was looking for, problem solved.