Drill Dismiss with Union Jack

Discussion in 'ACF' started by Faustic, Oct 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all. My detatchment has recently recovered it's union jack which now "flies" every drill night. My question to you all is what is the proper way to dismiss a parade whilst the flag is up? We do not know the proper words of command so atm we're using "Officer on parade, dismissed" (Right turn, salute once, march 3 paces).

Obviously officer on parade is wrong, but we have heard that the flag should be saluted?

What's the proper word of command?

2. A simple, ''on the word of command dismiss, turn to your right and salute............... Dismiss.''
  3. It's only a Union Jack if you are parading on a serving ship and the flag is flying on the stern. Otherwise it's a Union FLAG!
  4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

"Civvies - Fuck off home"

Then lower flag before locking up.

Appreciate your dedication, but it's hardly Trooping the Colour.
  5. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Sensible answer.

Simply just fall out, unless officer present - then fall out accordingly.

Then, an AI should lower the flag.
  6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

I think that you are confusing us with The United States.
  7. conjures up a lovely image...

Little, whitewashed, cadet hut on the edge of a sprawling sink estate. Kids shoulder to shoulder on the fire step, "volley fire, present..." as the waves of chavvy scum advance,
  8. Jacks are flown from the Jackstaff - which is at the bow.

An ensign is flown from the stern.
  9. I agree with Fugly, i think you are getting confused with what happens when the flag / ensign / red duster is raised on a ship or camp or raf station. ie at 08:00 the orderly officer/sgt/cpl raises the flag and the camp salutes it if within range and sight.
  10. Elayer, thats what we used to do a long long time ago when I was a space cadet. In fact it was a matter of pride to be the jnco who lowered the ensign.
  11. Ah right, didn't know that. My mistake, thanks for the correction.

Also, thanks everyone else. Obviously it's not a huge deal but we just wanted to check if we were doing it properly or not :wink:
  12. Every one should bow down to our great flag.
  13. If you want to call it the Union Jack, call it the Union Jack. Trying to be pedantic and force everyone to call it the Union Flag is never going to work, even if that is the correct name for it. Nicknames always stick in the minds of the public. You aren't going to persuade everyone to call the Number 107 bus an "Omnibus Vehicle" now, are you?
  14. My boss in the U.S sent me a U.S flag as a gift. It comes with 5 pages of instructions
    on its correct usage. The one that amused me most was the last one

The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning."

I kid you not