'drill' Claymores

Nope, that’s bollocks, the ‘Front towards Enemy’ is for night identification. Many munitions have features to allow them to be identified at night - 81mm Mortar WP has a stepped base, drill SAA has fluting in the cart case.
Actually, nope it sounds more like your version is bollocks.

The curved shape would be more than enough to identify the direction at night.

Additionally, unless the soldiers were trained to braille style read letters in the dark, what would be the point of embossing the full FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY on it.

See what you are thinking about though, similar to those electric detonator boxes with the E embossed on the outside for identifying it in the dark.

Plus, my dit sounds much better than yours.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
dont they have claymores on ebay ? you know the ones that fit over the towing ball of your car .

Maybe not.

No other directional frag weapons have such a helpful guide on the front. The Russian MON 50 doesn't, nor does the Yugoslav MRUD. In either case the bowed shape is enough for night ID (like the stepped base on the WP).

Think about the 'point towards the enemy' on the side of the 66mm LAW. That's in yellow paint and thus the square root of fück all help at night.

Even bottles of American 'champagne' have tags saying 'do not point at face whilst opening' so I think there's a good chance it is indeed a safety feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you taking the fücking piss?

Additionally, unless the soldiers were trained to braille style read letters in the dark, what would be the point of embossing the full FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY on it.

See what you are thinking about though, similar to those electric detonator boxes with the E embossed on the outside for identifying it in the dark.

WP filled ammunition always had stepped bits to aid identification.

No 80 Grenade

No 77 grenade

Which is why when you talk about subjects you know nothing about people default to the "You are talking nonsense" mode.

Nobody takes you seriously.
I love it when people talk in absolutes like 'Nobody'. It's when I'm as sure as I ever get that they're just spouting their own opinion, but I'm sure you 'know' better and will be along to give me the DS reasons why.

Are you taking the fücking piss?
No.

Not arguing with there being night ID features on ammo, WP being a case in point.

I'm just not 100% sure that the embossed letters on the M18 are specifically a night ID feature.

There is a case for it possibly being more of a health and safety feature (like the markings on the 66mm). Especially as other makers of such directional fragmentation mines don't seem to feel the need to emboss theirs.

No.

Not arguing with there being night ID features on ammo, WP being a case in point.

I'm just not 100% sure that the embossed letters on the M18 are specifically a night ID feature.

There is a case for it possibly being more of a health and safety feature (like the markings on the 66mm). Especially as other makers of such directional fragmentation mines don't seem to feel the need to emboss theirs.

The other makers e.g. Soviet Army and JNA didn’t really do H&S stuff. And didn’t need some enthusiastic Ambulance Chaser chasing them. Indeed they were actually quite specific about this to their local legal eagles. Really specific.e.g GULAG and Goli Otok.

The other makers e.g. Soviet Army and JNA didn’t really do H&S stuff. And didn’t need some enthusiastic Ambulance Chaser chasing them. Indeed they were actually quite specific about this to their local legal eagles. Really specific.e.g GULAG and Goli Otok.
Agreed. That's exactly my point. The septics being all over H&S in comparison...

Goli Otok...not the nicest island (at least in the old days) for an Adriatic holiday! :)

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
hope i am not falling for a wah, but dint the yanks also paint a luminous stripe on the claymore faceing towards the good guys ? so that they could tell in the naughty boys turned them around.

Also please remember that when dealing with squaddies, night time Identification is a hap hazerd skill just look i what i have brought home sometimes !

hope i am not falling for a wah, but dint the yanks also paint a luminous stripe on the claymore faceing towards the good guys ? so that they could tell in the naughty boys turned them around.

Also please remember that when dealing with squaddies, night time Identification is a hap hazerd skill just look i what i have brought home sometimes !
I worked with a number of Vietnam veterans and this was certainly a concern raised by a few of them. One of them was an ex-Aussie Sapper who was famous amongst the Aussies of that generation for having 'lost' an entire minefield (!) after Charlie came in one night and removed them.

Listen fella, let’s come to an agreement, you don’t question my expertise with Ammunition and I won’t question your expertise with sucking cocks.

I’ve told you what it is, it’s written in black and white in Ammunition and explosive regulations and conforms to the NATO marking pamphlet def-Stan 08-10.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MicknDarcyJo The Training Wing 4