Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drill/Ceremonial Advice Sought

Afternoon everyone I have been away from Arrse for sometime. But I have always found the hive mind has some cracking ideas.

I work for an NHS Ambulance service and the trust is considering forming a ceremonial team for things such as remembrance day and funerals. I have contacted other services who already have this in place to see how they have done it but lets be honest the experts in ceremony are the army.

Are there any drill experts out there who would be willing to let me pick their brains?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Don't listen to any light infantry!

Mini skirts, those tall hats , glockenspiels
Red and white uniforms. This sort of thing. And a bus full of nurses.
Happy to help.
_20201203_124550.JPG

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
When carrying a coffin, the two files need to be on opposite feet so that the coffin doesn't rock as the shoulders on one side go up while the others go down. The coffin then glides smoothly.

Edit. Coffin you stupid fúcking cúnting twátting speelchucker

Last edited:
When carrying a coffin, the two files need to be on opposite feet so that the coffin doesn't rock as the shoulders on one side to up while the others go down. The coffin then glides smoothly.
Nearly glided off our shoulders and down the church path when I did it.

For the OP, we said in-out rather than left-right.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
NHS Ambulance Ceremonial team?

Why??

Just rock up in greens, with medals if owned - that will he more than enough.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

And for the man in charge of moving the coffin, it's about him, not you. You can whisper the commands and the coffin bearers will hear you perfectly well. After a couple of practices, they know what to expect. You're in a place of respect for the dead, not respect for the Drill Pig.

NHS Ambulance Ceremonial team?

Why??

Just rock up in greens, with medals if owned - that will he more than enough.
It has been done by services such as London Ambulance and there seems to be a desire from many of the ex military in the service to explore the idea.

Afternoon everyone I have been away from Arrse for sometime. But I have always found the hive mind has some cracking ideas.

I work for an NHS Ambulance service and the trust is considering forming a ceremonial team for things such as remembrance day and funerals. I have contacted other services who already have this in place to see how they have done it but lets be honest the experts in ceremony are the army.

Are there any drill experts out there who would be willing to let me pick their brains?

Have you spoken to your local reserve unit? I'm not sure what input they could have, but you never know!

All Arms Drill Wing, School of infantry Catterick

ITC Catterick Phase 2/3

https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/our-schools-and-colleges/itc-catterick-phase-23/

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

“In out”, did you shake it all about as well:???:

And for the man in charge of moving the coffin, it's about him, not you. You can whisper the commands and the coffin bearers will hear you perfectly well. After a couple of practices, they know what to expect. You're in a place of respect for the dead, not respect for the Drill Pig.

It was a girl who we carried (Cheryl James)

As for hearing, the bloke on the other side said speed up, I thought he said speak up...

I don't know if they still do it but there was some complicated drill movements when you lower and raise the coffin including holding the bottom of it with just your hands,

Just the job for 4 teenagers who had joined the army less than 4 months previously

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Given that there isn’t really a precedent, why don’t you just make it up and do what you want?

I know the Fire Brigade do drill that is sort of based on Navy drill and the Police do Armyish drill with a really weird cack handed salute.

I’d just copy one of the other emergency services. Fire Brigade preferably as the whole stampy stampy shouty shit is a bit much for a civvy organisation in my opinion.

Drill?

You mzungus need to up your game.

I don't know if others find it disrespectful, but I actually like what they're doing and I don't think I'd have a problem being seen off in this way - obviously in my 90s having sex with some young bird which had resulted in my death.

Given that there isn’t really a precedent, why don’t you just make it up and do what you want?

I know the Fire Brigade do drill that is sort of based on Navy drill and the Police do Armyish drill with a really weird cack handed salute.

I’d just copy one of the other emergency services. Fire Brigade preferably as the whole stampy stampy shouty shit is a bit much for a civvy organisation in my opinion.
I agree on the stamping, I have looked at LAS and they have some form of naval ish drill but dont focus too much on it. Its all food for thought.

Thanks
JC

Latest Threads