Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Dress standards in the TA

Very easy to critisise the TA when you don't spend much time with them. I'm currently in the JHQ area and I know of at least 1 unit that hasn't even had a parade in 3 years, because the OC doesn't want them to happen (and he walks senior officers around his area wearing a softie and with hair halfway down his back).

In the JHQ area every second person you bump into is either an officer or WO and still soldiers walk around with hands in pockets, smoking, eating & drinking.

Don't single out the TA for poor standards unless you are prepared to admit the regulars might be just as bad, because they are! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

fuku said:
Very easy to critisise the TA when you don't spend much time with them. I'm currently in the JHQ area and I know of at least 1 unit that hasn't even had a parade in 3 years, because the OC doesn't want them to happen (and he walks senior officers around his area wearing a softie and with hair halfway down his back).

In the JHQ area every second person you bump into is either an officer or WO and still soldiers walk around with hands in pockets, smoking, eating & drinking.

Don't single out the TA for poor standards unless you are prepared to admit the regulars might be just as bad, because they are! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ahh but you are missing 2 important factors,

1. Its a JHQ, the realm of the chancer, strange things happen when people are taken away from regimental life

2. Officers, the biggest chancers of all, esp the the higher up the chain they go. There seems to be an unwritten rule that states the higher the rank the more eccentric you can pretend to be

My experience is that you can spot the difference between the regs and TA on exercise form a mile off. The TA are the ones wearing the issue kit, wearing their webbing, helmet and with their weapon and resperator in reach at all times. :wink:

Of course that's the likes of the arty, loggies etc, not the inf.

I serve with a Cavalry Regiment as a WO and can state without doubt that the regiments soldiers respect rank regardless of cap badge. Lets not tar people with blanket brushes, the values and standards of OUR Army still exist and are being reinforced by AGAI 67, which, when applied properly by JNCO's and supported by seniors, works! I would question why it wasn't used in the original case stated, whether regular or part time soldiers were involved.

this is not a problem that just the TA have the ARABS can be just as gash, and before any ARABS start im a STAB now but an ex ARAB so i have seen both sides to the coin.

We always foccus on the individual who has not arrived with the correct kit.
In the good old days if you were not dressed correctly you did not go on pde. Surely that is still the case??
If we have a Soldier who is finding it hard they are educated in the ways of the Force by an older wiser Jedi. These older wiser Jedi tend to have big badges, wodden sticks and are very loud of voice!!

Surley we should look at the staff running the courses and they should get the kick in the ARRSE and should be named. The name and shame works very well, as Comdrs we hate to have our people make ARRSE's of us. If had been my soldiers they would go back to the Recruit wing and re-introduced to the Kit lesson.

I recently attended a Tri-service course outside Alyesbury. The dress standards of those in C95 was much varied, ranging from pressed nightly to those who only brought the one uniform for the week. Most individula were SNCO's.

The dress standard can vary significantly, be it regs or TA. it is down to the SNCO's to enforce and maintain a sensible level.

As mentioned else where in this thread, on a sunday afternoon, upon return fro m an exercise, the level of dress whilst working, vehicle cleaning, weapon cleaning etc would be t-shirt order etc.

However Last parade was always in smocks and beret....

As mentioned else where in this thread, on a sunday afternoon, upon return fro m an exercise, the level of dress whilst working, vehicle cleaning, weapon cleaning etc would be t-shirt order etc.

However Last parade was always in smocks and beret....[/quote]

And best effort on getting the shi-ite off the boots
:twisted:
B_T

black_taxi said:
And best effort on getting the shi-ite off the boots
:twisted:
B_T

It took me three exercises with my current unit before I spotted the guys using the high-pressure hose at the washdown point :)

msr

The best thing really is not to get your boots dirty, always wear civvis and if that fails, stay out of the way so nobody notices your shite turnout. :lol: