Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Dress standards and shouting at the telly

ugly

LE
Ok I don't shout at the Guardsman around Victoria station down and in but the thing I don't get is why some units now insist on wearing berets with service dress (or whatever its called at the moment), whats wrong with the silly postman pat hats they had to wear, the only troops when I served wearing Berets in No2 Dress were Para, LI and RRF. Everyone else looked like postman pat RGJ included although the PW did their best to look odd.
Yes I know the bloke on the telly cant hear me and wouldn't care but I do still shout!

I used to like the old school No 1 dress hats that you used to see old sweats wearing. They just kept on going up and up.

We used to call them 'chefs' hats'.

The Tankies, if I recall correctly, wore berets with 2's (atop), and the torpedo shoes (on their feet). It didnt detract, however from the fact that most of them looked in any case like 8lb of shit in a 6lb bag. Still, it was only twice a year, 'cept on OC's/CO's.

Time to bring Side Hats back I reckon.Goes in your pocket, looks better than a beret.

sidehats.jpg

The Tankies, if I recall correctly, wore berets with 2's (atop), and the torpedo shoes (on their feet). It didnt detract, however from the fact that most of them looked in any case like 8lb of shit in a 6lb bag. Still, it was only twice a year, 'cept on OC's/CO's.
Alright but what have the tankies ever done for us apart from irrigation?

Nowt much TBH, but there's a fair few kraut farmers probably still living off the vandalism caused by '70s/'80 FTXs.

As far as irrigation goes, there was only one descendant of irrigants in the whole gang of 500+, and he was treated OK, which was seemingly curious in a racist, xenophobic and fairly dim population.

IIRC it was they that introduced the beret to the British Army.

I'm at a quiz night next week: does anyone know the name for that bit of wool that sticks out of the centre of a Frenchman's beret? I would hate there to be a round on French headgear and not to have asked in the obvious place for knowledgeable answers.