Dress Regs type thing..

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Davros_the_Dalek, May 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a 'friend' who 'might' be getting married and wants to do it in his No.1s.

Now I remember a guy on my A3 who got married either just after or during the course and he wore his blues too. Thing is that he wore one rank up for his wedding day - can't remember if he was a Pte at the time and wore a stripe or a lance jack and wore two though.

Question is : is there anything written down about OR's wearing a rank up if they are wearing their blues to get married in? Or is it just an army urban myth? Is it a rule, a tradition or just if you want to?

I've looked about the site and some people say it's gen, some say it's crap and some say it's only for those with no rank.

I had a look in Dress Regs but there doesn't seem to be any mention of it - I don't have time to look through QRs. 8O
  2. Are you sure he didn't borrow his mate's jacket?
  3. I worked for a CO once whose policy was that any NCO who was getting married in uniform was granted local rank one up for the day, especially Ptes. Some took up the offer though one chap declined and was hoppy to be wed at his true level. I got married in No1's and wore my correct rank with pride.

As for "Policy" I don't know.
  4. IIRC, there is meant to be a QR that says you can wear one rank up for that day and even receive the pay but never seen said reg in black and white.
  5. bugger. you mean i could have made it to WO2 when i got hitched?!?!? :)
  6. It's bollox, but if you want to do it go ahead. Might be best to ask your CO for Local Rank for the day though!

7. at the end of the day, who is going to bollock you on your wedding day? you've just got to explain when the photos come out why you are such a Walt.

you should be very proud of the rank you have attained, young davros :)
  8. Who the feck wants to get married as a Pte? :D
  9. Me!

But I didn't wear uniform.
  10. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Fnarr fnarr!

First time I've ever heard of it. I'd guess it's only a tradition but a harmless and worthwhile one. Might be worth pushing the boundaries a bit though: 2 ranks up; SAS wings; VC and bar; Walther PPK in the shoulder holster? That would certainly stop the bride's family whining about how their lovely daughter was marrying a beastly squaddie...
  11. What's more worrying is that someone wants to marry Davros........
  12. says you with your civil partnership.
  13. I wore morning dress with a few stripes and badges and a Corps tie. Didn't half look smart.

Didn't go one rank up, though, that would have been silly.
  14. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I wore a Tottenham Hotspurs tracksuit with box-fresh Diadora trainers and plenty of 9 carat bling round the neck, thus ensuring a certain froideur with the in-laws.

Typical humourless Arsenal fans.
  15. I'll have you know it's a very uncivil partnership!