Dress/parade shoes - sizes new and old

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by randomize, Jul 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there!

Thought I'd try to draw on the collective wisdom here.

Does anyone know how the size system for the older dress shoes is constructed?

I have seen these shoes floating around on Ebay, apparently of a quality which is on par with what sanders-uk offer offer today (at a much higher asking price, I have such a pair of Camberleys, size 7.5, which with some elbow grease and IPA have been made to fit my Donald Duck feet).

Problem with the UK MOD shoes is that nowhere - ebay or elsewhere - are there any half-sizes avaliable, just whole sizes and the added "S", "M" or "L".

Now, do these S, M and L stand for the width or the length? Would 7.5 correspond to 7 L or 8 S?

As you might guess I am not in the UK armed forces. Just a Swedish reservist and lurker who likes good quality shoes and who does not wish to shell out another 100+ quid for a pair of black oxfords)

2. I think the S M L refers to the width

3. It always used too when I were a lad. DMS boots and flying boots certainly used that system, though they also came in half sizes. Quite how the system used with combat boots worked, I have no idea.

4. OK, thanks. It would seem to be the logical thing. I'll see if I can get a pair of size 7s and have the cobbler stretch them out a couple of mms.

Nice Saturday to the two of you BTW.