Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by scalieback, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Yes

2. No

3. CBA'd (Can't be arrsed)

4. Give me a fleet of lancasters now

5. I don't really know, the Germans are now our allies etc

0 vote(s)

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you were 'bomber Harris' would you do it all again?

2. don't see the tw@ts apologising for the East End, or Coventry, V1s, V2s or anywhere else! Buggers started it so they can live with it!
  3. yeah I would

This sounds childish and simplistic but it wasnt us that started the whole thing. I could be wrong on this but I think the Russian death toll was around 14million. Compared to that 50000 dosent seem quite so shocking
  4. The 50,000 were just on that night. On another night over 150,000 people were killed in the fire storm. A point worth bringing to the attention to septics who keep crying about 54,000 lost in "Nam" over 10 years!
    The loss of 50.000 allied troops in one morning during WW1 was considered a good days work.
  5. Any Germans desiring an apology from Her Majesty should review the Bundesarchiv film of Propaganda Minister Goebbels addressing a crowd wherein he asks them if they want "totalische krieg" or Total War. They replied with an enthusiastic "Ja!". So they got Total War, just not in the way they were hoping.

As well, if memory serves, the Luftwaffe bombed London before the RAF bombed German cities. As well, the Luftwaffe was used to bomb civilian targets in Poland in 1939. They set the rules, "Bomber" Harris and Bomber Command played by them.
  6. didnt have smart bombs then so had to do the whole city whats left of the raf could possibly carpet bomb my brothers allotment which would at least do the weeds :) .got no sympathy for the idea of apolgising for bombing the crap out of nazi germany at least we didnt use anthrax
    on them .
  7. And of course let's not forget Guernica , or Belgrade 1941.
  8. I voted 'no' because I think that, on balance, the strategic bomber offensive was a failure and the resources would have been far better applied to surface campaigns. There should have been more and better ships and ground equipments of all kinds; and in the air, more maritime patrol and attack aircraft, more transports and more tactical support aircraft. A truncated heavy bomber force should have been used exclusively against truly strategic targets such as submarine pens and railway junctions.

I have no doubt that Dresden was a legitimate target, though.
  9. Didn't bomb 'em half hard enough or they'd still be scared to slabber about apologies.

Message to our Germanic Allies "You started it and you got your asses justly kicked, deal with it"

And to those wishing for an apology "And the horse you rode in on!"
  10. Yes and the Dresden raids were carried out to support the Russian offensive. You would not guess that from the years of postwar propaganda from the DDR and USSR.

The loss of life and the destruction remain a tragedy, but not a war crime.
  11. The German's reaped what they sowed. If anything the Germans should be doing the apologizing.
  12. Too right, (twice), V1, V2, and V3 must not ring any bells within the German government, in fact, their countries involvement in WW2 must not ring any bells also, just seems anything that comes out from them about ww2 is the injustice they suffered. Doubt the vengence weapons were aimed at military installations? Hitler went on his power trip and let bombs fly any which way but loose, just right we got our own back. Plus, it could have been alot worse, since the city was partially abandoned of its usual couple of hundred thousand to less than that because of advancing Russians. Also think teh Queen shouldn't have to apologise, doubt she was the lead flyer in the bomber group.
  13. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

You live by the sword you die by the sword.
  14. 50,000... how long would that take Buchenwald, Sachsenhausen, Sobibor etc to match?
  15. Quite, the good bughers of Dresden must have known about the cattle trucks that trundled eastwards through the marshalling yards and the contents of thereof.

As already mentioned, V weapons were slaming into British towns right up to March 1945