Drawing salt from Gammon joints.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BryanTheMegalodon, May 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had a bit of a splurge at a recent farmers market and bought a freezer full of meat joints - the gammon is lovely but very, very salty. Is there a way of drawing salt out prior to cooking - it's only cheap stuff but the saltiness is pretty powerful.
  2. Soak it overnight in a pan of water then discard (the water)
  3. If one soaking doesn't work, try successive ones - it's a longstanding bush method for restoring salt beef to (alleged) edibility.
  4. Cut it into large chunks and boil, but change the water two or three times whilst boiling.
  5. Soak in clean water overnight or longer if possible. When cooking sweeten the cooking liquid( sugar,syrup, cider, apple/orange/pineapple juice) Once cooked remove skin cover muscavado sugar syrup or marmalade if you've used orange juice as cooking liquor then bake/grill until crisp and golden.
  6. Cheers guys, will try it. I slow cooked the last one in a garlic and soy tomato sauce and lovely though it was I felt afterwards like I'd blown off the entire crew of a Peruvian tramp steamer.
  7. Properly made gammon will be very salty by todays standards of taste. With our home cured we soak overnight with at least two changes of water. Cooking starts by bringing it up to the simmer for about 40mins with another water change. Left to cool and then roasted.
  8. I always stick it in a pan of water, bring to boil, let it simmer for about 20 mins than pour off water and scum, rinse in cold water. Remove skin and score fat with a sharp knife. Then work in a mixture of brown sugar and english mustard. Cover in foil and stick in oven for an hour on 160. Remove foil 15 mins before the end to crisp the fat, brown the sugar mixture.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Pretty much how I do it dombo, except knowing just how much salt is in my home cured meat I do it for 40mins. Oh, and I stick cloves in where the scoremarks cross. Adds a really nice flavour to the hard fat.
  10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

home dry cured does use mainly salt so will be worse than injected wet cured meat.

as mentioned a good soaking helps.

the navy used to tow salted meat in nets overboard then steep in fresh water to try and lower the saltiness before boiling.
  11. What we do is, soak overnight and then in fresh water bring to the boil change the water and bring to the boil again. Wash the joint off then place in a 50/50 mix of water and coke. Bring to the boil and very gently simmer, allow 20 minutes to a lb of meat. The slower it simmers the more tender the meat, just as its cooked remove from the liquid cover in brown sugar and place in a pre heated oven at 180c, for 20 minutes or so. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 30 minutes, carve, eat washed down with a chilled white wine, the cheaper the better. It works for me.
  12. Works with irn brew too, I shit you not. I refused to try this method until I tasted someone else's cooking. Still prefer the mustard or honey glaze though.
  13. No-one likes a salty mouth.

Agree with other posts re: soaking overnight. Another option for sweetening the joint is to boil it in coke for a couple of hours, before then rubbing in muscovado and mustard powder and baking...
  14. Doesn't need de-salting if you use it for pea and ham soup. Might even have to add a little salt to taste when done. Slice deeply into the fat then boil it for about four hours, before adding the split peas. When done, remove the joint and flake it by hand or with a fork (like jerked pork), discarding the bone and skin/fat. Use the discards for stock. Add the flaked meat to the soup with loads of sliced chorico and frankfurters and let it cook through. Might even have to water it down by now, unless you like pease porridge with loads of pork.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. The soy sauce will have added to the saltiness too.