Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Drain blisters?

Thread a needle and run it through the blister, snip the thread off and leave it as a drain.

Spot on

Leave the small ones alone. Use thread on anything larger than your thumb print.

Make sure the needle is clean - boil or medi-wipe it

Larger blisters need to be checked because the fluid can track under good skin and make the problem worse

Any open blisters keep clean and dry and covered. Clean them twice a day and use baby powder to keep the rest of your foot dry whilst training

Thread a needle and run it through the blister, snip the thread off and leave it as a drain.

This is the best answer, it works a treat. The cotton stops the skin from sealing over.

DON NOT take the skin off, it protects the under lying new flesh.

If you running/tabbing wear 2 pairs of socks. A thin sports pair against your skin, a thicker issue pair on the outer. The socks will rub against each other and not your delicate skin.

I've always been told - if it's going to pop through wear/work, then pop it and cover it up. Try some of the dodgy solutions by all means.

If it's not going to pop accidentally, then leave it and it'll callous over.

Yeah, it was a fairly small one but I carried on training and after tonight it's got a bit unbearable, I'll have to see what it's like in morning see if it fills up then decide.

Sent from my HTC One S using ARRSE mobile app

Unless you are a professor of blisters at Oxford University - get it checked out by a professional - they might--just might know more than you and help to get it cleared up quickly.

i have allways burst them creamed em and cracked on, hasnt stopped me yet, only time i saw the doc was when i got a large one under my big toe nail which began lifting sasid nail off. also found those veruca socks worked a treat in keeping out the infections, dont know how valid they are now adays.

They definitely will I'm no blister expert, I rarely get them to be honest but thanks for all the advice, I think i will go see my GP/Nurse like some of you said. I would rather not risk making it worse and with my luck I probably would, thanks all.

Sent from my HTC One S using ARRSE mobile app

I was told (by a CCF Captain - ex-RAC WW2 Western Desert) to sterilise a needle (flame) and then insert the needle into the good skin alongside the blister and push it into the fluid of the blister. Remove needle, press on blister and get the fluid out. Then two pairs of socks after gunging the area with antiseptic cream. Mind you this was back in the mid-50s (1950s) but it worked for me as a CCF cadet.
Of course we were tougher in those days.
My taxi is here.

We used to have foot inspections after the first few tabs and the medic would be poised to scalpel blisters or drill holes in toenails. I'm fairly sure we were told how to deal with blisters ourselves- IIRC the threading cotton thing though them to act as a drain. I found this to be bloody painful and Preferred to sterilise the needle with my zippo (remembering to wipe the soot off) then popping the blister and pressing it flat. Bit of sticky tape, job done. Antibiotic powder was good for 'wet' injuries too, like rocking horse shit though.

Tincture benzodine a.k.a Friars Balsam is a liquid used more commonly as a decongestant . When your put it onto a cotton wool ball or tissue, you then put it onto the popped blister . It feels like a thousand red hot pokers on broken skin. It kills the nerve endings and dries the skin out very, very quickly. But once you manage to get through the pain of this stuff, it's definately worth it.

But if you've never tried it before, video it and post it on here while your trying to keep a straight face.

Good luck

Sent from my HTC One X+ using ARRSE mobile app

last time I saw tinc benz it was used to stick suture strips on, probably gallons of it in stores around the country.

fantastic for blisters - get 12 blokes to sit on patient or strap to bed, give patient something to bite on. pop a cannula into blister then drain with an empty syringe and refill to popping size with tinc benz trying not to giggle at the howls worthy of a carry on film. leave for few mins then cover blisters with cotton wool, wake patient with smelling salts then get his mates to carry him back to his block.

it was a right of passage - I used to sit in my deckchair with the MO round the back of the 1 tonner, while some poor bastard was brought to me sans boot for treatment it used to be like a playground game of all pile on and great fun :)

now they use surgical spirit which is a bit poofy if you ask me.