Dragoon’s and Lancers

I’m looking at these individual regiments as well as some armoured infantry wondering if anyone could give me some first hand knowledge on the dragoon’s and Royal lancers. 17 and from Liverpool looking to become an officer. Just some info would be appreciated I’ve been on the army website and recruitment office but came on here to find more info

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards (QDG), Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Scots DG) and The Light Dragoons (LD) are all Light Cavalry. Their rôle is to cabby around the pointy end in Jackals doing what seems to me to be a cross between the 19th Century traditional dragoon rôle and a dismounted light Recce rôle.

Royal Lancers were formation recce, but apparently they have rerôled as what I believe is called Armoured Cavalry and cabby around in Warriors (but don't quote me on either fact).

Both rôles have been made up because we cannot afford more than three regiments of MBT in our Armoured Corps and the CVR(T) light alternative are 40 years old, shagged out and anachronistic.

One would hope that one day our Royal Armoured Corps will be properly funded and equipped again.

This is not to say that Light or Armoured Cavalry do not provide excellent opportunities. My flag is nailed to the LD mast, for that is where my regiment amalgamated to 25 years ago. The annual regimental journal tells of regular overseas deployments, adventurous training and sport.

This place is largely filled with old farts (like me). For a proper insight into these regiments, you'd be better asking someone currently serving. Probably by asking your recruiting office if they might help you get in touch.

1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards (QDG), Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Scots DG) and The Light Dragoons (LD) are all Light Cavalry. Their rôle is to cabby around the pointy end in Jackals doing what seems to me to be a cross between the 19th Century traditional dragoon rôle and a dismounted light Recce rôle.

Royal Lancers were formation recce, but apparently they have rerôled as what I believe is called Armoured Cavalry and cabby around in Warriors (but don't quote me on either fact).

Both rôles have been made up because we cannot afford more than three regiments of MBT in our Armoured Corps and the CVR(T) light alternative are 40 years old, shagged out and anachronistic.

One would hope that one day our Royal Armoured Corps will be properly funded and equipped again.

This is not to say that Light or Armoured Cavalry do not provide excellent opportunities. My flag is nailed to the LD mast, for that is where my regiment amalgamated to 25 years ago. The annual regimental journal tells of regular overseas deployments, adventurous training and sport.

This place is largely filled with old farts (like me). For a proper insight into these regiments, you'd be better asking someone currently serving. Probably by asking your recruiting office if they might help you get in touch.[/QUOTE

Thankyou for the info

Tsk, a quick bit of google-fu gives you a load of stuff.

Royal Regiment of Fusiliers

THE FUSILIERS

In the latter there is a - Joining? Call....... and a list.
It threw up this name
  • In the North West: Sergeant Major Jim Kenworthy on 07919 450455
Took me about two minutes.

What is it you exactly want to know? I see you have opened up another thread about other arms so it looks like you aren't sure yourself.
Fusiliers are a family, you stay part of it for life, and it's worth it.
But what are you looking for? A real life choice or a vague interest in things military?

THE FUSILIERS

It threw up this name

What is it you exactly want to know? I see you have opened up another thread about other arms so it looks like you aren't sure yourself.
But what are you looking for? A real life choice or a vague interest in things military?

Thankyou for the number but I spoke a Captain from down south about the

THE FUSILIERS

It threw up this name

I have genuine interest in joining the military I sent you a message to discuss

I’m looking at these individual regiments as well as some armoured infantry wondering if anyone could give me some first hand knowledge on the dragoon’s and Royal lancers. 17 and from Liverpool looking to become an officer. Just some info would be appreciated I’ve been on the army website and recruitment office but came on here to find more info
In all seriousness, if you want a commission you'll need to understand where and why to use an apostrophe. "Dragoon's what?"

Royal Lancers are equipped primarily with CVR(T), but are due to get AJAX and are employed in a Brigade recce role for 12 Armd Brigade. They are currently based in Catterick.
However, there was talk about a replacement for CVR(T) when I joined in the late 70's.
So don't hold your breath.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Maximus Acidus Classified Ads 9
L RAC 19
Debenham RAC 19