Builds Dragon Tiger 1 Mid Command Tank

Dads203

Old-Salt
why did the Verlinden interior go back in the box, not much use? Inaccurate or just too badly molded?
Its just a heap of work, most of the parts are puddle cast so clean up is a ball ache and a half and pretty much
all of the turret floor needs to be scratch built as some parts are very warped.

Added to the build is the Zimmerit which again is a real pain in the nads !

1617635391307.png

1617635403912.png

1617635421076.png

Dads203

Old-Salt
Been thinking how long its been since I did Zimmerit and I reckon it was a Tamiya Tiger 2, so this has to be the first bit of German WW2 Armour that I have knocked out since 1998, been thinking about it and that was the last time that I had to do any Zimmerit !!

I'll leave you with the last set of photo's of the day.

1617640902284.png

1617640914628.png

1617640930369.png

This really is going to take a while !!!

Dads203

Old-Salt
Another micro update from me, been having a few issues with the Zimmerit in all honesty
and its not been going smoothly - Excuse the pun
:frantic:

I've been working on other areas of the Tiger, staying away from the Zimmerit just to think it through. The Magic Sculpt
is too soft made worse by having to keep the tools wet makes the putty like soft cheese !!

The Tamiya Putty is just a touch too hard so I'm going to experiment with heating it up slightly to make it a bit more soft
but not too soft.

Anyway some progress shots, front mud guards have been cut off ready for some PE ones to be fitted.

1618589441119.png

1618589452494.png

I did manage the front plate Zimmerit

1618589487766.png

Loaders Hatch

1618589511389.png

Mantlet, I might strip this and start again in all honesty

1618589535186.png

1618589546731.png

it can't be easy to apply, getting the pattern right for a start, what you have done so far looks good to me, but it's your model and if you aren't happy...
here's the zim on the Bovy KT.
real tow cable.JPG

A few hours ago (being a submariner!) I had no idea what Zimmerit was! Having used Google and followed a couple of links I now know!

Now, not being a 'rivet counter' or even a model-maker, if the paste was applied to the tanks as indicated in the Bovi article, why are folk getting their knickers in a twist about 'getting it right'? I bet every tank's finish was slightly different.

Surely (on a model) it could be slapped on - much like the real thing, then smoothed off with a fine wire brush. I'm sure the result would be acceptable and could be justified.

A few hours ago (being a submariner!) I had no idea what Zimmerit was! Having used Google and followed a couple of links I now know!

Now, not being a 'rivet counter' or even a model-maker, if the paste was applied to the tanks as indicated in the Bovi article, why are folk getting their knickers in a twist about 'getting it right'? I bet every tank's finish was slightly different.

Surely (on a model) it could be slapped on - much like the real thing, then smoothed off with a fine wire brush. I'm sure the result would be acceptable and could be justified.
so, you admit, you don't know about Zimmerit, you don't make models, and you think it can be just slapped on any old how. Come on, have you seen Dads work up till now.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
If you want to see inside the finished article, how about..
1618908076621.png

Dads203

Old-Salt
Cheers chaps, I'm still wittling away in the background on this but I nothing of substanace to update with so far.

I just needed a break with the Zimmerit as it was doing my head in, happy with whats been done so far and I have seen the nightshift tutorials which was why I used the Tamiya putty. He got excellent results for sure, mine is hard going and I'm sure it will get easier as I progress.

Pop5

Clanker
That Zim looks excellent imo chap. So much so, its convinced me to do it DIY on a dragon Jagdtiger I've started.

If your Jagdtiger has a Henschel suspension, Don't Zimmerit. Only applied to 8 Porsche suspension vehicles

Schiffer's Jagdtiger, The most Powerful Armoured Fighting Vehicle of WWII, Vol. I & II, contains everything you ever would want to know about this vehicle.

End of message

ches

LE
Cheers chaps, I'm still wittling away in the background on this but I nothing of substanace to update with so far.

I just needed a break with the Zimmerit as it was doing my head in, happy with whats been done so far and I have seen the nightshift tutorials which was why I used the Tamiya putty. He got excellent results for sure, mine is hard going and I'm sure it will get easier as I progress.

Can't get any Tam quick putty for love nor money in the UK atm. Stupid prices, so I'm going with trusty old Milliput using the same techniques as our man nightshift.

LARD

LE
I seem to remember that when the Arrse Collective visited the Weald Foundation and Mike was giving is the low-down on how to tell StuG3's apart. The thorny subject of Zimmerit came up. IIRC the two biggest StuG builders were Alkett & MIAG, and you could tell who made what by the actual pattern of the Zimmerit.

@Halftrack & @Ian525 were both 'volunteered' to chip off some of the stuff where it been incorrectly applied during the restoration.

Latest Threads