Builds Dragon 1/700 scale Tirpitz

Did we? I honestly thought that was all self-inflicted in Germany (the ban on Nazi imagery I mean, not WW2 itself).
Not sure about the authenticity, I heard it from the local model emporium when I moaned about the butchering. That of course doesn't mean to say that its true. There was a bloke from the police in at the same time and we got talking about it. He said the same rules applied in NL but they'd generally turn a blind eye to it when it came to models. Walking down the street flying a Nazi flag on the other hand will immediately result in a free taxi ride to the local nick.

Last edited:
We made the rules, the Germans for once are only obeying them. Most of the Tamiya stuff sold in the Netherlands comes from Dickie, the importers, in Germany. They have somebody open all the boxes, ink out any swastikas in the instruction sheet and cast any out of the transfer sheets. Sometimes it looks like you've bought something second hand. Buy a kit in Belgium which has been imported via France and it won't have been butchered. The Dragon idea is a decent workaround. I remember one German lad built a cracking model of Bismarck, a real masterpiece, and he had to blur out all the 3rd Reich stuff or he'd have been getting a visit from the thought police for posting the pictures on a German photo website.
odd thinking isn't it, you'd think they would like to see Swastikas on ships that ended up at the bottom of the sea.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
yes a nice grouping of Barns Wallace's Tall boys, cut through the deck like a hot knife through butter, and she turned over taking a lot of her crew with her, and 617 the Jammy lot got away before the 109's turned up.
There was quite the interview without schnapps for the local Luftwaffe bod as I recall.

Hull and main deck parts, cleaned up easily after removal from the thick sprues. I'm going full hull to include that attractive sweep of her lines.

the two lower hull halves joined together, anyone reminded of the Cockleshell heroes?

the hull lower joint, needs sanding to get that to go, nice and smooth

hull joint sanded flat

the hull seperate parts doesn't really make it easier to paint the demarkation lines, in fact I prefer the full height hull sides. The boot topping is right on the joint.

What kept them late? No shuttle bus from the five star country hotel to the airfield?
There's been a documentary on the topic shown a few times in the last year or so. Nice to know the Krauts can be as incompetent as the rest of us....

There's been a documentary on the topic shown a few times in the last year or so. Nice to know the Krauts can be as incompetent as the rest of us....
It’s called ‘the dambuster’s great escape’ or something similar, available on Netflix or firestick. Seems there was a Brit sympathiser on the base who sat on the incoming Int, a/c at the wrong end of the runway, and having to wait for a ju52 to land and clear the runway. A series of events which allowed the almost unarmed Lancasters to get away Scot free.

yes a nice grouping of Barns Wallace's Tall boys, cut through the deck like a hot knife through butter, and she turned over taking a lot of her crew with her, and 617 the Jammy lot got away before the 109's turned up.
I ruffly worked out a 3/16 drill bit should be the right size....... ;)
It’s called ‘the dambuster’s great escape’ or something similar, available on Netflix or firestick. Seems there was a Brit sympathiser on the base who sat on the incoming Int, a/c at the wrong end of the runway, and having to wait for a ju52 to land and clear the runway. A series of events which allowed the almost unarmed Lancasters to get away Scot free.
It was on one of the History channels on Sky @ two weeks ago. I watched it. Amazingly one of the German fighter pilots who was based there, is alive and well in the US, he's even a bit of a celebrity.
Just amazing how lucky 617 Sqn really were.

The one that did most of the damage slid down the side and went off beneath the hull.

Latest Threads