Builds Dragon 1/700 scale Tirpitz

This kit has been hanging around in my stash and now it's time to get it on the build table.

quick glimpse of some of the parts before I start putting it all together, the kit comes with the option of full hull or waterline, handy, stops me having to get the mini saw out and start hacking away. the model length in 1/700 scale is 35cm.

the moulding is a bit better than some of the 70s kits like this one, here is one of the main gun turrets

the kit comes with a pe fret, so the rails will look ok

two complaints, well observations really, are they worried about the return of Nazism, at least they give the possibility of Swastikas.

secondly, they boobed with casting this frame, it's all rubbery, not what I expected from
Dragon models at all.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
two complaints, well observations really, are they worried about the return of Nazism, at least they give the possibility of Swastikas.
any models sold in the EU can't depict swastikas iirc. it's been like this for quite some time. always strikes me as odd seeing as any real life examples (eg. in aircraft museums or the like) are left alone, but I don't make the rules.

4(T)

LE
Lol ..... those self-assembly "Swastikas by IKEA".

I suppose it'd be illegal to sell fully assembled swastikas in some countries? You'd think even the Germans'd have some common sense exemptions for model kits and other harmless depictions of historical objects.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

I suppose it'd be illegal to sell fully assembled swastikas in some countries? You'd think even the Germans'd have some common sense exemptions for model kits and other harmless depictions of historical objects.
the fourth reich - infiltrating society via the medium of hobbies...

4(T)

LE
My ambition is to do the Trumpeter 1/200 HMS Hood, including some of the after-market parts kits.

Might have to move to a bigger house first, though..

D

Deleted 60082

I have the Trumpeter 1:350 HMS Dreadnought waiting to be started (comes with a good range of PE), but there's just too much on in my life to start it yet (I'm breaking up and selling off my 00 GWR layout and stock, amongst other things).

This kit has been hanging around in my stash and now it's time to get it on the build table.
Do it post-617 Squadron, it'll be a lot quicker......

D

Deleted 60082

It's been in storage for 5 years, we don't have the storage space and grandkids will be a long way off. I'd forgotten how many private owner waggons I had; indeed the number locomotives, too. It is sad to get rid of it, but I just can't keep storing it.

PFGEN

GCM
It's been in storage for 5 years, we don't have the storage space and grandkids will be a long way off. I'd forgotten how many private owner waggons I had; indeed the number locomotives, too. It is sad to get rid of it, but I just can't keep storing it.
A sad day that. I kept my locos and rolling stock although there's no chance of ever setting it up. Still can't bear to part with it.

PFGEN

GCM

We made the rules, the Germans for once are only obeying them. Most of the Tamiya stuff sold in the Netherlands comes from Dickie, the importers, in Germany. They have somebody open all the boxes, ink out any swastikas in the instruction sheet and cast any out of the transfer sheets. Sometimes it looks like you've bought something second hand. Buy a kit in Belgium which has been imported via France and it won't have been butchered. The Dragon idea is a decent workaround. I remember one German lad built a cracking model of Bismarck, a real masterpiece, and he had to blur out all the 3rd Reich stuff or he'd have been getting a visit from the thought police for posting the pictures on a German photo website.

daz

LE
We made the rules, the Germans for once are only obeying them. Most of the Tamiya stuff sold in the Netherlands comes from Dickie, the importers, in Germany. They have somebody open all the boxes, ink out any swastikas in the instruction sheet and cast any out of the transfer sheets. Sometimes it looks like you've bought something second hand. Buy a kit in Belgium which has been imported via France and it won't have been butchered. The Dragon idea is a decent workaround. I remember one German lad built a cracking model of Bismarck, a real masterpiece, and he had to blur out all the 3rd Reich stuff or he'd have been getting a visit from the thought police for posting the pictures on a German photo website.
It's almost like their sensitive about something :)

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads