Builds Dragon 1/35 Jagdtiger (Porsche)

ches

LE
Have had this in the stash for a few years. Got it for £20 off a bezzie of mine who makes large scale stuff only now so was surplus to his requirements.

1619018984813.png

Its a big complicated kit with the Jagd being one of the largest wagons that the Germans produced. Its nearly 900 parts inc multimedia - some PE, a metal barrel etc so it will be a complete OOB build. No AM stuff needed.
Jagdtigers were used by only two units, the 512th & 653rd, this will be a 653 vehicle & being a Porsche version will need Zimmerit applied. That will be done using the DIY method as the only AM stuff on the market is the awful Eduard PE set. Not my cup of tea when it comes to representing a pasted application. Besides, some of the YT videos around make the DIY process look worth a try & I did have a go about 20 odd years ago with reasonable success.

The parts a in grey plastic & its soft stuff, very soft compared to other makes & its a long time since I did a Dragon kit so I dont know if this is normal. Doesn't detract from the level of cast detail though but.....

And there is already a but, the casting quality isn't great with regard to flash, spurious casting lugs, seams. I'd expect better from Dragon but seeing as I got this almost buckshee beggars can't be choosers.

First stages are the road wheels & suspension. The Porsche suspension isn't great. Firstly the number of parts for each unit could be less & second, the quality of casting/fixing process leaves a lot to be desired. The locater holes for each wheel axle aren't the best & there is some sanding & clamping needed while the units set. Some of the units are slightly out of true along the length of the vehicle but some sanding with a stick & some hot steam application should sort it. If not the track fitting will be an arse.

1619019569241.png

Wheels on & are glued in place, none of that nylon poly stuff that Tamiya do here.

1619019901488.png

Next step will be to red oxide this prior to the rear plate going on after the zimmerit has been applied to it - milliput en-route. While waiting for the milliput to arrive, i'll get on with various sub-assemblies.

Pop5

Clanker
What are the kit tracks like?

FYI Bovvy's Jagd Tiger has these type

Track type
Gg 24/800/300 (corrected)

MasterClub - MTL35097
Fruil - ATL-022

Depending the source, links/side
Panzerketten p134
Links/side 92 (46 wth horn, 46 w/out)

Panzertracts 9 p51
Links/side 94 (47 wth horn, 47 w/out)

Last edited:

ches

LE
What are the kit tracks like?

FYI Bovvy's Jagd Tiger has these type

Track type
Kgs 73/800/300

MasterClub - MTL35097 (They have the wrong type number, but the right parts)
Fruil - ATL-022

Depending the source, links/side
Panzerketten p134
Links/side 92 (46 wth horn, 46 w/out)

Panzertracts 9 p51
Links/side 94 (47 wth horn, 47 w/out)

Great gen Pop cheers, I'll take a pick of the links & post it later as i have no idea, but would (daftly) assume them to be correct.

Pop5

Clanker
The
Great gen Pop cheers, I'll take a pick of the links & post it later as i have no idea, but would (daftly) assume them to be correct.
MasterClub tracks are fiddly...but come out really well. Bring a big box of swear words though...
I don't know how good the Fruil tracks are in this instance, as I've not tried them.

Always been impressed by the JagdTiger since seeing it at Bovvy and scratchbuiiding one as a teenager...

Tactically it was a dead end and a waste of resources but it did look cool....

ches

LE
The

MasterClub tracks are fiddly...but come out really well. Bring a big box of swear words though...
I don't know how good the Fruil tracks are in this instance, as I've not tried them.

Yeah I've got a cpl of sets in the stash for Pz ii & a Cromwell i've got to finish. I do like them, used to prefer MK before them but they are so expensive now,
Always been impressed by the JagdTiger since seeing it at Bovvy and scratchbuiiding one as a teenager...

Tactically it was a dead end and a waste of resources but it did look cool....

Wasn't it just. What a big lump of dog turd it was. I've got Panzer Ace in the library & reading that about their issues with the KT struggling on most terrain, with the JT that much heavier its head wobbling that the spackers in charge thought this design was a good idea.

Yeah I've got a cpl of sets in the stash for Pz ii & a Cromwell i've got to finish. I do like them, used to prefer MK before them but they are so expensive now,

Wasn't it just. What a big lump of dog turd it was. I've got Panzer Ace in the library & reading that about their issues with the KT struggling on most terrain, with the JT that much heavier its head wobbling that the spackers in charge thought this design was a good idea.

A typically German solution requiring lots of engineering.

Should have just kept on knocking out Hetzers and Jadgpanzer IVs...

ches

LE
A typically German solution requiring lots of engineering.

Should have just kept on knocking out Hetzers and Jadgpanzer IVs...

Indeed. Plus i have a soft spot for the Hetzer, even though I've never made one.
There’s a very good case for many, many Panzer IVs.

Probably the best German tank of the war, if they could have got the long L70 75mm from the Panther into the turret ring of a PzIV........

Anyway, the tools have arrived so its a Zimming I will go, as soon as the milliput arrives early next week. Picked this set up for a steal under a tenner off ebay. Can't find one in the UK for less than £18 & then there is a few weeks wait for it.

1619087103489.png

Pop5

Clanker
fyi... 305003-305005 have zimmerit to the lower spare track hooks on the fighting compartment. the others have it to the upper track hooks

Courtesy of Jagdtiger (p24) as previously mentioned

ches

LE
Got a decent amount of stuff done on the beast over the weekend. The rear deck area is complete bar some fine PE along the edge of the gun compartment roof which will wait until last. Def a kit of two halves so far, the suspension & running gear was a bit of a dog with fit & flash as said while the upper hull is going together nicely & its an enjoyable build. Some nice touches in the kit, the texture to the side armour plates should look good when weathered & the detail to the engine deck is lovely & crisp.

Hull temporary mated to the lower. The rear access doors to the gun compartment having working hinges, very nicely done by Dragon, although mine will be glued closed eventually.

1619424132175.png

Texture of the welds is done well too.

1619424236860.png

Dads203

Old-Salt
I had a crack at one of these a few years ago, loved it. No Zim and whole heap of fun.
I screwed up the 3 colour cam on the first attempt so went with a single dark yellow colour.
Its one of my favourite builds TBH.

Fruil Track and Aber PE sets used, figures were the old Tamiya set with Hornet heads.

Your build is shaping up mate :-D

1620059714568.png

1620059725344.png

1620059733243.png

1620059745260.png

1620059762592.png

1620059770957.png

1620059778801.png

1620059787958.png

Last edited:

ches

LE
Had a go at the zim yesterday with 2 part milliput superfine & did the front of the lower hull as a trail & pretty pleased with the result. Cleaned up the adjacent areas after the pic & after doing a few AFV's with some of the AM resin sets previously, this diy technique is pretty good, lots of freedom to make it unique with damage, randomness of application etc.

Kept the surface nice & wet with water, smoothing it out & into contours in the plate with an artists spatula. Next session I'm going to leave the putty to cure for over an hour, this trial was left for 30 mins & it still lifted in parts.

1620114932997.png

Issi

LE
That’s looking brilliant. I hadn’t appreciated what a beast the Jagdtiger was.
It’s like a council house on wheels!

Worrying to think what would have happened if they’d adopted a Sherman type approach, instead of the over engineered Porsche type.

ches

LE

Worrying to think what would have happened if they’d adopted a Sherman type approach, instead of the over engineered Porsche type.

The Henschel version was slightly worse, it had the overlapping road wheel config as per the KT, making track bashing & wheel maintenance even more of a ball ache.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

I've said it many times over: they should have been churning out Mk.IVs like crazy.

ches

LE
I've said it many times over: they should have been churning out Mk.IVs like crazy.

Those & Panthers. Plus Stugs in the TD/assault gun role. By far the greatest threat to our armour rather than perceived loads of Tigers. Am reading Tank Action atm by a new troop commander with the Sherwoods immediately post D-Day & IV's & Panthers by the most common & very very capable guns on them.

QRK2

LE
Those & Panthers. Plus Stugs in the TD/assault gun role. By far the greatest threat to our armour rather than perceived loads of Tigers. Am reading Tank Action atm by a new troop commander with the Sherwoods immediately post D-Day & IV's & Panthers by the most common & very very capable guns on them.

This is worth a read alongside.

Amazon product
and this may be worth a look when published

Amazon product

Latest Threads