Dr Who Series 12 2020

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
That's true. I often think that when I hear about these soap actors that have been there for 30+ years and yes, although I can't blame them as it's a regular income, they'll only be known for one role and quickly consigned to the history books.
It also involves someone being true to their art. I'd like to ask Jodie Whittaker if she really thinks that what she's turning in is first-rate.

I know the answer. I wonder if she does.

Ritch

LE
It also involves someone being true to their art. I'd like to ask Jodie Whittaker if she really thinks that what she's turning in is first-rate.

I think she probably does. In my opinion, she's trying to be like David Tennant - a bit wacky, a bit out-there - but from seeing a couple of interviews she's done, she says she's been well received as the Doctor.

She's mistaken.

Nicola Bryant who played "Peri" until she was replaced by Bonnie Langford. God, I'm old !
Thanks, saved me Googling, although I still did, on the off chance there were some ‘artistic’ images!

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd give Nicola the best 20 seconds of her life - even longer if she avoided me completely (which, alas, she has so far in life).
You're all hermers - here's the definitive Dr Who assistant:

1578925157683.png

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I think she probably does. In my opinion, she's trying to be like David Tennant - a bit wacky, a bit out-there - but from seeing a couple of interviews she's done, she says she's been well received as the Doctor.

She's mistaken.
Trying to be like someone else misses a point: someone else is already being that person.

needlewaver

Old-Salt
Heresy! Purge the Unbeliever! :)

Tom Baker. There was something about his scarf.
I was more interested in Romana; either of them.
fc5a7ebce44b9c101ec0a73b046e5b07.jpg

220px-Romanadvoratrelundar.jpg

She's mistaken.
I don’t think it is entirely fair to lay the blame firmly on the actors. Christ knows it’s a fairly precarious career at grass root levels. Many are called but few are chosen. I knew a few aspiring actors in the mid-70s. Never heard of any of them since.

JW is not a bad actress. She has been pretty good in other shows. But she can only work with what she’s given and even Lolly Olly couldn’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Blame the writers, producers and directors for the dial-it-in scripts and shows. With the entirety of space and time to play with it would be nice if they could come up with something more original and inventive than the same old same old (mostly blokes in rubber suits chasing our hapless halfwits around a quarry or factory).

Jeezus, if you are that lost for ideas, novelty and inspiration just plunder science fiction.

Ritch

LE
I don’t think it is entirely fair to lay the blame firmly on the actors. Christ knows it’s a fairly precarious career at grass root levels. Many are called but few are chosen. I knew a few aspiring actors in the mid-70s. Never heard of any of them since.

JW is not a bad actress. She has been pretty good in other shows. But she can only work with what she’s given and even Lolly Olly couldn’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Blame the writers, producers and directors for the dial-it-in scripts and shows. With the entirety of space and time to play with it would be nice if they could come up with something more original and inventive than the same old same old (mostly blokes in rubber suits chasing our hapless halfwits around a quarry or factory).

Jeezus, if you are that lost for ideas, novelty and inspiration just plunder science fiction.
Oh don't get me wrong, I think the Moffat era of writing was abysmal. True he was a writer playing along to Russell T Davies but he couldn't live up to the quality when Davies retired from the show.

Chef

LE
I'd say some of the best Dr Who stories culminated in that scenario. Or indeed shop mannequins animating and stalking the quiet (early morning) streets of London and the like.

I found the early Cybermen far more creepy than the revamped versions

Image result for original cybermen images

Plus in earlier series many ethical problems were looked at, as in (I think) 'Genesis of the Daleks' Dr Who has the chance to destroy the Daleks at their inception and doesn't.

'Have I the right to exterminate an entire race?'

I think the big problem is that it is so formulaic it might just as well be scripted from a checklist.

Tardis arrives somewhere/shit hits the fan/human shaped aliens chase the Doctor and team around an old warehouse or quarry/sonic screwdriver is the deus ex machina that does everything imaginable/minimal violence so no nuking the site from orbit/Doctor resolves issue at hand and gives environmentally sound speech/back on the Tardis for char and wads.

It seems to lack inventiveness and ideas. Red Dwarf and Hitchhikers Guide were genuinely inventive (and humorous). We have already surrendered our beliefs to the concept of the Doctor so why not come up with some novelty/original thought.

I thought it was all going so well with the Christopher Ecclestone reboot. At least you knew he was knobbing Billie Piper (who wouldn’t?).
They have kept the principle of time travel creating multiple opportunities to tell stories but, whereas the Tardis would once land in a castle courtyard, in an ancient city, a distant planet, etc, it now lands somewhere beset by climate change, or racism, or something on message. Even relatively recent series managed to be scarey, rather than socially aware.
I don't object to the politics being Left wing, just to there being politics at all.

Edit: Best assistant? Jenna Coleman. End of.

Jenna_Coleman_confirms_she_is_leaving_Doctor_Who.jpg

She's mistaken.
Well she's hardly going to admit to being carp now is she? Even though she clearly is.

I'd say some of the best Dr Who stories culminated in that scenario. Or indeed shop mannequins animating and stalking the quiet (early morning) streets of London and the like.

Plus in earlier series many ethical problems were looked at, as in (I think) 'Genesis of the Daleks' Dr Who has the chance to destroy the Daleks at their inception and doesn't.

But are the older Cybermen as diverse and inclusive as the recent incarnation, though? No. In fact, they weren't Cybermen at all. They were White Male Privilege Men.

One of the proudest moments for me was seeing that man of colour leading that army of Cybermen in that graveyard in a more recent episode. I actually cried a little during that scene, as he soared into the sky on that rocket thing, rising above all that white oppression, elevating the legion of potentially black comrades to new levels of social justice.
Finally, a role model for all the aspiring rappers in London!
The Dr. Who universe is where dreams of social justice can be realised.

Maybe they should become the CyberCisgenderMen.

Apart from the ones in the rainbow suits (exoskeletons? Wottevva).

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

One of the great flaws of the modern Dr Whos has been the belief that CGI can replace decent story-telling. Pace Millennials but Daleks (and Cybermen) are far more scary when there are four of them in well-written roles and not thousands of them making up the numbers (and they're also more scary when the story resolution takes at least a month not an episode).

The Weeping Angels have been an excellent addition but little else that's new has stayed long in the imagination.

Ritch

LE
Well she's hardly going to admit to being carp now is she? Even though she clearly is.
I meant I think she honestly believes in her own head that she's absolutely smashing. Silly bint.

Latest Threads