Dr Who Series 12 2020

TamH70

MIA
I gave up after David Tennant left, since then it has been shite on top of shite.
That's funny. The hive-mind thinking among most of the Doctor Who fanbase is that Tennant was the worst of the new lot, and slightly behind Colin Baker in the old one. Matt Smith was MY Doctor, but paradoxically I think Ecclestone's iteration was the best one, mainly because if he had been as shit as Tennant was, (or Whittaker seems to be), the show would have died on its arse after Season One had finished.

I think the big problem is that it is so formulaic it might just as well be scripted from a checklist.

Tardis arrives somewhere/shit hits the fan/human shaped aliens chase the Doctor and team around an old warehouse or quarry/sonic screwdriver is the deus ex machina that does everything imaginable/minimal violence so no nuking the site from orbit/Doctor resolves issue at hand and gives environmentally sound speech/back on the Tardis for char and wads.

It seems to lack inventiveness and ideas. Red Dwarf and Hitchhikers Guide were genuinely inventive (and humorous). We have already surrendered our beliefs to the concept of the Doctor so why not come up with some novelty/original thought.

I thought it was all going so well with the Christopher Ecclestone reboot. At least you knew he was knobbing Billie Piper (who wouldn’t?).

John Pertwee was the best Doctor, there we have finished the discussion ;)

Ritch

LE
Christopher Ecclestone and David Tennant were the highlight of the current run. The rest of the them have been crap - Jodie "Gormless" Whittaker the worst of them.

TamH70

MIA
John Pertwee was the best Doctor, there we have finished the discussion ;)
Heresy! Purge the Unbeliever! :)

Tom Baker. There was something about his scarf.

Christopher Ecclestone was the best modern Dr by far. The dark humour and aggressive edge to him wipes the floor with the new bird.

Dubb_al_Ibn

War Hero
Tom Baker, non-flying Daleks on a non-Earth-based story and UNIT lads running around with that rifle on the Earth-based episodes. Oh, and an easy-on-the-eye cisgender, female assistant. Jumpers for goalposts, etc.

Tom Baker, non-flying Daleks on a non-Earth-based story and UNIT lads running around with that rifle on the Earth-based episodes. Oh, and an easy-on-the-eye cisgender, female assistant. Jumpers for goalposts, etc.
As in “Chap with wings there, five rounds rapid”.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
All other things apart, I watch(ed) Doctor Who for some mindless entertainment. Not for some preachy enviro-mentalist rant about how we are destroying the planet. I know that! I want escapism, not a warning from our future! If I wanted that then I'd be watching the Discovery Channel (which has also sunk to the depths of the Marianas Trench). Stop the 'right on' bollocks, give me entertainment.

Ritch

LE
Christopher Ecclestone was the best modern Dr by far. The dark humour and aggressive edge to him wipes the floor with the new bird.
He only did one season as he was worried of becoming typecast. That was a shame, he was impressive to watch.

Dredd

LE
I thought it was all going so well with the Christopher Ecclestone reboot. At least you knew he was knobbing Billie Piper (who wouldn’t?).
don't tell him pike.

Just kidding. We'd be rolling his withered corpse off of her before we got sloppy seconds.

Allegedly.

Ritch

LE
On the other hand, it's nice that an actor can have the courage to do that, rather than just turning up and taking the money.
That's true. I often think that when I hear about these soap actors that have been there for 30+ years and yes, although I can't blame them as it's a regular income, they'll only be known for one role and quickly consigned to the history books.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Dr Who and I parted company when they developed a flying Dalek.
I had always been safe up to then by strategically laying rolled up blankets around the downstairs at home. I was safe upstairs, of course.
I put a de-topped Pomagne cork on my Airfix FN - no problems with aliens after that.

Last edited:

Latest Threads