Dr Strangelove

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by tsar_Nikolas, Dec 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For some reason I've neevr got around to watching this movie...how glad am I that I did! I can see now why Muse were so inspired by this film. I never expected the nuances and the humour; the best bit has to be the American President explaining to the Russian Premier about the incoming planes, and Dr Strangelove calling the Preseident 'Mein Fuhrer'. Anyone else seen it?

2. Without a shadow of a doubt that is one of the most provocative, interesting funny films i have ever seen!!

BUT MR PRESIDENT....HE'LL SEE THE BIG BOARD!!!!!

OUTSTANDING!!!!!

3. Its a fantastic film, Sellers was an absolute comedy genius.

"Cold water on the back of the neck Colonel.........marvellous!"

4. "No fighting in here, this is the war room."

Peter Sellars, a comic genius.

5. Watched it dozens of times, always a corker :D

"Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."

• Like Like x 3
  6. " The bomb, Dimitri, the hydrogen bomb".

7. Dr Strangelove- Paul Wolfowitz in a wheelchair.

8. Listen carefully. The line is 'Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in <beat> Vegas with all that stuff.'

As filmed, the line was originally 'Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff'. In between filming and release, JFK's security guards let him down somewhat. Slim Pickens had to go back to the studio to re-record that one word, to change it to Vegas.

smithie

• Like Like x 1
  9. Peter Sellers as RAF officer Mandrake seconded to SAC. He wants to get immediate word to the White House that Gen. Ripper has launched WWIII but he hasn't got enough change for the pay phone.

So he persuades a reluctant ("That's private property!") USAF Col. Bat Guano (Keenan Wynn) to fire his carbine into the coin box of a vending machine.

"OK, but if this isn't on the level, you'll have to answer to the Coca-Cola Bottling Company."

I'm laughing just thinking about it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I don't remember where I read this but supposedly Dr. Strangelove was a conflation of Henry Kissinger (whose name was not a household word back then) and Herman Kahn, the guy who wrote On Thermonuclear War and Thinking About The Unthinkable.

They took a few sly digs at RAND Corporation which was Herman Kahn's shop.

11. "Shoot! With a gun! That's what the bullets are for, you twit!"

"Dimitri, I'm sorry they're jamming your radar and flying so low, but they're trained to do it."

"if you don't put that gun away and stop this stupid nonsense, the court of inquiry on this'll give you such a pranging, you'll be lucky if you end up wearing the uniform of a bloody toilet attendant!"

12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I love the bit at the end when Slim is riding the bomb down like a bronco!
    A classic!!! (Let's hope those Hollywood morons dont try & remake THAT one like they do every other classic movie!!)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Too Late!!
    Dr Strangelove------Redneck on a bomb.
    Independence Day-Redneck in an Eagle.

14. [anorak on] I thought they were F18's[anorak off]
    Excellent film Dr. Strangelove. Was on the box the other week. The hand of Dr. S, nazi salute, strangulation. Never bettered

15. "Just call the People's centre for Air Defence - Omsk something".
    Brilliant film - and essentially a huge knob gag. The original ending had a huge custard pie fight in the War Room.