Dr Julian Lewis MP has whip withdrawn

It does seem to be a case of government foot in government mouth.

From the perspective of delivering projects, committees are a PITA, but that's their function. If you can't put a robust and well drafted piece of legislation, etc, in front of a committee and demonstrate it as such, it's going to be an even bigger fuster cluck when the legislation is enacted.

Wordsmith
The Committees exist to provide oversight over delivery.
However, the Government approach to delivery appears to be driven by Cummings' disdain for the elected MPs and loathing of the Civil Service, and relies on some weird synthesis of physics led data management and think tank driven contracting out.
If the Committee couldn't be a neutered rubber stamp body under Grayling, the instinct in Number 10 seems to be that it was an adversary to be defeated.

Yokel

LE
Surely the problem with Dominic Cumnings having lived and worked in Russia for so long is that he might have developed a blind spot regarding the Putin regime and its use of international tensions and underhand actions as a vehicle for promoting regime survival?

Distract the Russian populace from his dodgy dealing....

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
What evidence is there that Cummings has had anything to do with the removal of the whip from Lewis?
There's an awful lot of assumptions and conspiracists' wet dreams, but absolutely nothing concrete to say Cummings was responsible, or even involved in the decision.

To be honest it's such a poorly planned, ham-fisted effort so far that I'd have expected a far better scheme if Cummings had been involved.

What evidence is there that Cummings has had anything to do with the removal of the whip from Lewis?
There's an awful lot of assumptions and conspiracists' wet dreams, but absolutely nothing concrete to say Cummings was responsible, or even involved in the decision.

To be honest it's such a poorly planned, ham-fisted effort so far that I'd have expected a far better scheme if Cummings had been involved.
Cummings seems to think he is the Grey Eminence behind the clownish Prime Minister, but his record to date seems a bit spotty. More of a Grey Squirrel.
His catastrophic and arrogant breach of COVID rules, followed by Boris making snivelling justifications to protect him when found out, did the Conservatives an immense amount of damage.
Bungling the appointment of a Committee, and then lashing out seems very much in character.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Cummings seems to think he is the Grey Eminence behind the clownish Prime Minister, but his record to date seems a bit spotty. More of a Grey Squirrel.
His catastrophic and arrogant breach of COVID rules, followed by Boris making snivelling justifications to protect him when found out, did the Conservatives an immense amount of damage.
Bungling the appointment of a Committee, and then lashing out seems very much in character.
So no evidence then?

To be honest it's such a poorly planned, ham-fisted effort so far that I'd have expected a far better scheme if Cummings had been involved
Rees-Mogg's verbal contribution when asked on the "sacking" merely remarked - "that he (Lewis) was playing "ducks and drakes". That ,in his words , explained Lewis's move.

D

Deleted 72187

Well as well as Cummings wilderness years in the East, there's more than a few quid from that direction floating around in the conservative party coffers. Make of that what you want

Barmy that a governing or any domestic political party can be so brazenly in hock to foreign interests

Today's Times on Russians inexplicably paying £30k for a private meal with Gavin Williams.

Is the UK govt hopelessly corrupted?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I agree that it was probably a mistake but I expect that Dr Lewis will have the whip restored very soon once the fuss has died down. Thats what usually happens.

Has this been part of the creation of a 'definitely-not-Boris' candidate to take the party in to the next election?? Just a thought . . .

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Rees-Mogg's verbal contribution when asked on the "sacking" merely remarked - "that he (Lewis) was playing "ducks and drakes". That ,in his words , explained Lewis's move.
So he’s gone quackers then :???:

Mr Lewis has requested a commitment that SpADs (Unelected political hacks - step forward Cummings) should be kept away from politicising the Intelligence and Security Committee.

He didn't get it from the Security minister Brokenshire.
Obviously No10 doesn't want to have an independent ISC.
I wonder why.

Lewis was up against Failing Grayling and won? Well there's democracy for you.

Is it me, or does this current Nº10 feel a bit Blair-ish in it's attempts at total control?
Sadly and it gives me no pleasure, too agree. Rather than deliberate attempts to gain total control, rather that a large swath of the political class are, fundamentally rubbish at the job of governing. It's difficult in these 'clown world' days, but I try as much as possible to attribute poor governance being a result of incompetence rather than design.

That all sides and all colours these days are predominately filled by it seems, P.P.E. graduates or from the legal profession, rather than having worked and gained real work experience of broader society, is perhaps why.

So no evidence then?
People who are totally unaccountable/unelected and who are shielded by The PM and who also have previous for refusing to appear in front of Parliamentary Committees when summonsed are very rarely connectable to events that they don’t want to be connected to.

In essence, unless Cummings wants us to know, we won’t.

Latest Threads