DR Congo blows its top.

Awol

LE
Headlines on BBC website.

It appears that a volcano in the DRC has just erupted causing chaos and mass evacuations.

People running for the hills away from the hills in their hundreds of thousands.

Headlines on BBC website.

It appears that a volcano in the DRC has just erupted causing chaos and mass evacuations.

People running for the hills away from the hills in their hundreds of thousands.

Goma has been affected by this a couple of times. ISTR Boy Scouts handling casualties or some-such at one point.

Awol

LE
Goma has been affected by this a couple of times. ISTR Boy Scouts handling casualties or some-such at one point.
I can’t find the story now, can someone confirm please that’s it’s not just an ancient event that my phone has just hurled from its memory to embarrass me please.

"Mount Nyiragongo is one of the world's more active volcanos but there were concerns that its activity had not been properly observed by the Goma Volcano Observatory, since the World Bank cut funding amid allegations of corruption."

Oh we are blaming a Volcano erupting on corruption?

I wonder what is behind this.

No, the eruption will be blamed on the racism of the World Bank not funding the Volcano Observatory properly...

(This will, of course, ignore the fact that if the money was being purloined and resting in the accounts of various individuals, it wouldn't have gone on funding more research anyway...)

Funbaby

Old-Salt
The UN is currently airlifting in a refreshing apple, lemon, orange, pineapple, passion fruit, mandarin, apricot, guava and mango based beverage, which is popular in the locale.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Corruption? In Africa?
b6f1c38801ccd83fbc3a388003f30c43.jpg

Last one ate up a slice of the runway, leaving around 1700m for operations. Got quite interesting at times as the apron was also cut off leaving little to no parking. Most tried to park along the sides and bigger stuff tried to get out before sunset and spend the night elsewhere.

Some loony russki in an AN12 landed a bit deep and fast and ended up smeared against the lava wall, killing the captain.

You could get some great pics at night flying over the crater and looking down into the molten magma. Last time I was in Goma we brought back a couple of hundred pounds of volcanic rock from the spill along the sides where they were breaking up the lava flow. Apparently makes a good base for gas barbecues if you're that way inclined. I pocketed a couple of pieces as souvenirs.

Not a very diverse list of victims. That needs looking in to.

No, the eruption will be blamed on the racism of the World Bank not funding the Volcano Observatory properly...

(This will, of course, ignore the fact that if the money was being purloined by the Wabenzi tribe and resting in the accounts of various individuals, it wouldn't have gone on funding more research anyway...)
HTH.

I took a look at the solidified lava flow after the 2002 eruption. It appeared to have cut Goma in half. I remember wondering how long the clear up would take aka Pompei and Herculanium.

Latest Threads