Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DPRK Conducts Another Nuclear Test.

North Korean footage of their thermonuclear test:

North Korea claims its first hydrogen bomb test - FT.com

A video on Youtube of the Soviet's first H-bomb test in 1953:

Is someone telling porkies?

How very dare you?! Next you'll be telling me Best Korea didn't land a man on Saturn!:)

You have to hand it to DPRK.

The newsreader on the state broadcaster gives it her all in the news announcement which then breaks for a few seconds for some glorious leader music with the portraits of the two great men....

Its surreal. Half way down this BBC page.

North Korea nuclear H-bomb claims met by scepticism - BBC News

You have to hand it to DPRK.

The newsreader on the state broadcaster gives it her all in the news announcement which then breaks for a few seconds for some glorious leader music with the portraits of the two great men....

Its surreal. Half way down this BBC page.

North Korea nuclear H-bomb claims met by scepticism - BBC News

This is serious. And a serious situation involves serious questions. After watching the NK state broadcaster you have to ask yourself............ would you?

Damn, thought this was in NAAFI for some reason. MODs feel free to delete.

I would leave it to China. I don't see fat boy antagonising SK, who happen to be one of China's biggest customer, and employers, going down very well in Beijing.

The following is a rather interesting article from Vice News explaining what they think the new North Korean bomb is.: Yes, North Korea Probably Tested an H-Bomb — Just Not the Kind You’re Thinking Of | VICE News

To make a long story short, as well as fission (A-bombs) and fusion (H-bombs) bombs, there are bombs that fall somewhere in between which use a little of both. They're not as powerful as a full-on H-bomb, but are a step up from simple A-bombs.
But the reality of it isn't nearly so clear cut. There are pure fission devices, fission-fusion devices, boosted fission, fission-fusion-fission devices, salted warheads — all kinds of stuff, and that's long before you get into the genuinely esoteric designs.

It's explained in fairly simple terms, and well worth reading.

There's also a second article talking about the current diplomatic status, which I've included here just so I can quote North Korea's mission to the UN for the comedy value.
North Korea Just Insulted the US and Bragged About Its New 'H-Bomb of Justice' | VICE News
"The US is a gang of cruel robbers which has worked hard to bring even a nuclear disaster to the DPRK," the statement said, calling the country's new weapon an "H-bomb of justice, standing against the US."

The "H-bomb of Justice", it's like something out of a comic book.

There exists a long, and fairly detailed article on the English language Wikipedia about nuclear weapons design.

Last year, when fat Kim was throwing the teddy bears out of his pram, the chinese sent a division or two down to his border to give him a warning. I think the new bombs are intended as a message to the Chinese that he doesn't care what they say anymore and that he can kick back now. The Koreans (both North and South) have not forgotten that they were a vassal state of the Chinese for centuries.

It doesn't matter how many or what kind of bombs they have, its still a shoite place to live.

While I am cracking open another fine ale after a big dinner. I doubt the north Koreans are.

What Fat Boy doesn't seem to get is that he gets one bomb in anger. The instant he drops a single nuclear weapon, fission or fusion, the entire country will go from underdeveloped shithole to glass parking lot in under 15 minutes. Chinese, American, Russian, even, all will want to test their latest and greatest, and jump on the bandwagon. Pyongyang will be as flat as a pancake.

FFS, in the 1950s, the idea was to gift Moscow 150-odd ground-zeroes, and since then, the idea is more, smaller weapons. I expect there are teams of nuclear planners in the various MinDefs, with their plans all nicely laid out on how exactly to wipe them out in a one-er.

He's done for, the instant he uses any nuclear device. Hopefully the world will take stock after N Korea is vaporized and call it a day. But there is no doubt in my mind. He gets one attack, and that's his lot.

I doubt that Roadster.

If he were to lob a single warhead at Seoul, the retaliation would be entirely conventional, but massive it would be, and designed to totally dislocate his government, his command and control, and remove him and his party apparatus from power. It would be swiftly followed by a ground invasion by UN, South Korean and Chinese forces. DPRK would be dismantled just as Saddam's Iraq was in 2003. A conventional response such as this allows the rest of the world to maintain the moral high ground.

If UN Security council members start lobbing loads of nukes at DPRK, then the Pakis will do the same to the Indians and the Israelis will do the same to Iranians and vice versa. Before you know it we end up like this:

Thermonuclear weapons are not credible weapons of defence. They are too powerful. They are the stuff of nightmares and they have little or no tactical advantages. And when both sides have them, they have no point or purpose. There only use is the threat of mutually assured destruction. An international suicide pact

I doubt that Roadster.

If he were to lob a single warhead at Seoul, the retaliation would be entirely conventional, but massive it would be, and designed to totally dislocate his government, his command and control, and remove him and his party apparatus from power. It would be swiftly followed by a ground invasion by UN, South Korean and Chinese forces. DPRK would be dismantled just as Saddam's Iraq was in 2003. A conventional response such as this allows the rest of the world to maintain the moral high ground.

If UN Security council members start lobbing loads of nukes at DPRK, then the Pakis will do the same to the Indians and the Israelis will do the same to Iranians and vice versa. Before you know it we end up like this:

Thermonuclear weapons are not credible weapons of defence. They are too powerful. They are the stuff of nightmares and they have little or no tactical advantages. And when both sides have them, they have no point or purpose. There only use is the threat of mutually assured destruction. An international suicide pact

The prevailing winds in Korea in the winter are out of the northwest. That would put Seoul downwind from Pyongyang. In the summer, the winds are out of the southeast, which puts some of China's major cities downwind from Pyongyang then. I'm not sure that plastering North Korea with nuclear bombs is going to make either of those neighbours very happy.

A conventional bombing of military targets followed by a ground invasion from South Korea, China, and Russia followed by a hand-over to South Korea would be more plausible. North Korea has a large army on paper, but little in the way of modern equipment and probably even less fuel or ammunition. A lot of their army is simply used as cheap labour for civilian construction projects.

I suspect that the North Koreans want the bomb mainly as insurance that they won't get "regime changed", in which case the consequences of using it won't matter to them since it will be a last ditch weapon anyway.

The North Koreans kick up a fuss on a regular basis mainly to try to extract concessions in the form of money and goods from everyone else in return for being quiet. There is also an internal political dynamic in which the party leadership keep the country at a high alert in order to keep the generals too busy to state a coup.

If we think back a bit, North Korea was kicking up a fuss but then got upstaged by IS in Iraq and Syria, which then pushed them off the front pages of the news and we ignored them again. I would not be surprised if the North decided they needed to do something dramatic to get the spotlight back on themselves again.

What is probably keeping Fat Boy Kim living in style is that the Chinese don't want the Americans rolling their tanks up to the Chinese border, and more importantly, the South Koreans don't really want the north since the repair and renovation bills for it would bankrupt them. If those two can ever sort out a deal which handles those problems satisfactorily, then the DPRK's days may be numbered.

Fat Boy has a couple of older brothers who are currently out of favour, and I believe living abroad. The Chinese may find it to be simplest if Fat Boy were to have a "heart attack" and his replacement be instructed by his neighbours on the secret to living a long and healthy life.

Last edited:
Bearing in mind the fact that basic A bomb technology is 1940s stuff and that H bomb technology is 1950s, then even if Kim Mong One doesn't have an H bomb now, how much longer before he really does have the big bang stuff?
Having watched the Chinese State TV news broadcast (with subtitles) I'd say their reaction was definitely we are not amused. It was framed in the usual díplomatese, but China is not happy, but then who wants to live next to a tooled up head banger? I wonder how it will be before China makes Kim Mong One an offer he cannot refuse? Tomorrow would do fine.

crisp83

Clanker
The real H bomb is much harder to figure out, requires some difficult physics, possibly beyond the reach of those who don't already have them.

I think the N Koreans were feeling a bit lonely, let a bit of a bang off, not being in the news so much recently.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Has anyone considered the fat mong just fell out of his chair instead of them letting another bomb off.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads