DPM - why?

Should we go digital?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
DPM - Used to the best in the world, I know, but since then, its been superceeded by a bunch of other better 'digital' patterns - MARPAT, CADPAT etc etc - so why are we still stuck with DPM? And introducing a new version!

I mean if you look at a bunch of squaddies sitting in front of a woodline, they look like...well, a bunch of squaddies sitting in front of a woodline, there's very little blending. I saw a Canadian standing in front of a tree in Copenhill Down a few years back, and he practically dissapeared.

And i've seen this 'crye' multicam camo which looks brilliant (guy bottom left) http://m.onet.pl/_m/45baf2cd2dad963e3252b73ace1eb780,21,1.jpg

Anyway, i'll go retrieve my teddies, which have been thrown a considerable distance from the pram, and await the abuse lol

I'm rather a fan of DPM, though that's just because 1) It's ours and 2) I think it looks ace.

I disagree partly though, because it can be very effective indeed. If squaddies are on ops/ex then just sitting infront of a tree line sticking out is bad drills on their part, not the fault of the uniform.

Yeoman_dai said:
DPM - Used to the best in the world, I know, but since then, its been superceeded by a bunch of other better 'digital' patterns - MARPAT, CADPAT etc etc - so why are we still stuck with DPM? And introducing a new version!

I mean if you look at a bunch of squaddies sitting in front of a woodline, they look like...well, a bunch of squaddies sitting in front of a woodline, there's very little blending. I saw a Canadian standing in front of a tree in Copenhill Down a few years back, and he practically dissapeared.

And i've seen this 'crye' multicam camo which looks brilliant (guy bottom left) http://m.onet.pl/_m/45baf2cd2dad963e3252b73ace1eb780,21,1.jpg

Anyway, i'll go retrieve my teddies, which have been thrown a considerable distance from the pram, and await the abuse lol
And therein lies the problem. You'd never find the f uckers to do any work. :D

Dr Chris - the Churhcill tank "was ours" but we've moved on since then!

"If" studies show that digi pattern etc are better than DPM, then changing is probably the way ahead IMO.

Hang on I thought we were going digital, imminently, along with the introduction of 1970's style barrack dress cos its "too expensive" to use as normal working dress?

I read an article in Combat and Survival magazine about digital camo. If you look at the ACU camo theres no black in it. In DPM obviously theres loads, apparently 'theres no black in nature'. I dont know because there is shadows. Camos an interesting subject I think, but one I know bugger all about.

Not a very useful comment but thats why theres no black in ACU. Anyway...

smudge67 said:
Dr Chris - the Churhcill tank "was ours" but we've moved on since then!

"If" studies show that digi pattern etc are better than DPM, then changing is probably the way ahead IMO.
Agreed, if it can be proven it's better then of course that's the way forward. But these studies appear to find new things every time they are done, taking them in an entirely different direction.

I can't agree with the above comment that DPM doesn't work though, as i've seen it work bloody well. I suppose it's inevitable that we're going to need new kit at some point. Oh well, I can cry my silent tear at the loss of DPM...

brianlara said:
I read an article in Combat and Survival magazine about digital camo. If you look at the ACU camo theres no black in it. In DPM obviously theres loads, apparently 'theres no black in nature'. I dont know because there is shadows. Camos an interesting subject I think, but one I know bugger all about.

Not a very useful comment but thats why theres no black in ACU. Anyway...
On the subject of black, why do we wear black boots? For field use surely brown or green would be better? IMHO.

But then we would need two sets, coz brown or green wouldn't look as good on the drill square. :roll:

When the new German pattern was introduced, about 94/95 a German WO was told by a member of the ARRC G2 staff how similar the new pattern was to that of the SS. He smiled, and quipped, "yes but have you seen the new helmet!"

Perhaps we will see dark yellow German panzers next!

That crye stuff saves money though - its equally useful on SENTA or away in the sandpit?! No need to issue two of everything! Surely that appeals to someone deep in the bowels of the MoD? cost cutting AND more effective?

And they said it couldn't be done....

Yeoman_dai said:
That crye stuff saves money though - its equally useful on SENTA or away in the sandpit?! No need to issue two of everything! Surely that appeals to someone deep in the bowels of the MoD? cost cutting AND more effective?

And they said it couldn't be done....
It wouldn't save money because the MOD would have to pay Crye for the rights to make kit in multicam, which they would probably charge loads for. Besides a universal camouflage is used in all theatres but would not fit in any of them. IMO digicam is just a fashion armies are jumping onto because it's new and cool.

Recently had a septic attached to my unit for an exercise and all that he had was the ACU kit and desert style boots. He stood out like a sore thumb on Caerwent and his boots were a mess in no time. Can you imagine how much it would cost to develop a new camouflage? Im sure that the money could be better spent on improved vehicles, weapons, lighter body armour/helmets and rations as well as perhaps a military hospital or at least more dedicated military wards.

As has been said on here already, if it aint broke dont try to fix it.

Anyway this topic has been done to death. Try using the search function.

Also if you're interested in where the British Army's kit is going try searching for PECOC or posts by kitmonster, he's very enlightening.

Latest Threads