DPM Rank Slides

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by PoisonDwarf, Feb 6, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it just me or does anyone else have great difficulty differentiating between a Sarn't Major and a Major's rank slide.  Especially when they just pop up unannounced (HQNI's riddled with 'em).

I wish Offrs would do the decent thing and wear conspicuous rank slides.  We lesser mortals are always getting caught on the hop, peering myopically and asking each other "F*** - is that an officer coming..?"

The worst offenders are the ones who wear junglies/trops or bizarre forms of uniform with no visible rank markings then throw a proverbial wobbler when ORs don't salute them.  Tossers. :mad:

Honestly - it's bloody murder.  By the way, yes I'm aware that cloth capbadges are often a good indicator of commissioned ranks.

Any thoughts?
  2. it must be a nightmare for foreign troops to work out which is which. in my opinion, ssm's are impecably dressed while majors turn up in all sorts of mixed dress.
  3. CGS

CGS War Hero Moderator

I wear a large arctic smock with no rank attachment on it, my hands shoved into the bottom pockets and I say 'Hi' to everyone who ever looks in my general direction.

It's surprising what you can get away with...

Top Tip though, don't look at the capbadge, look at the boots.  If they look even remotely polished, they WILL NOT be those of a Major...
  4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Surely the general demenour of the Sgt Major will infact be the deciding factor, as Majors (unless an ex RSM) will look like a sack of frogs bungeed up in the midle.
  5. It's all the fault of the MOD (isn'y everything) they should never have got rid of batmen.

Bring back the soldier servant, clean boots for all officers and gainful employment for all those graduating with unclassified degrees.
  6. Come on troops, you can easily tell the difference. Rodneys look lost, Sgt Maj's look like they own the place, even if they are visiting.And their elbows are at least 12" away from their sides pointing outwards when they walk
  7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

8. it can be a conundum bit there is a clue , majors have SMALL crowns whereas sargeant majors is a  BIG crown .

mind you by the time you see that he will on top of you hopefully not giving you one up the mine shaft !
  9. Just a suggestion - but why don't they bring back rank-tabs on shoulders for officers??

Should solve the problem!!
  10. Plain olive green ones might do the trick........Gotta say some of the DPM ones are just impossible to decipher, regardless of rank, even at short range.
  11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

A Sgt Major is a Sgt Maj, a Maj is, and always will only be a Maj!

Big crown little crown!
  12. [​IMG]our unit has the officers in drab rank slides n sncos with dpm slides, it works .....but only when the chuffing officers decide to ware them and not ware some strange styles of uniform !
  13. what i do there ????

id better go drill my self....... ???
  14. "I say Woopert, that man didnt salute me!"

"sorry Boss i will"

Just waiting for an Iraqi sniper with decent optics....... ;D
  15. Let's not encourage the upper middle classes to look too much like the chaps.

When I'm in Iraq I don't want some 'elite' Iraqi soldier slotting me, cos he can't recognise me as a worker ant.  To my horror I have a bit of a receding chin, so he'll think I'm a cutesy shortarse version of rodney.  We're all doomed!

I much prefer officers to dress differently (along with being 'differently abled').