DOYRMS

I'd be interested to hear from anybody who has a rugrat at DOYRMS. We've all but made our minds up to take ours out at the end of term. The feedback we're getting from our daughter gives the impression that dorm life is something between St. Trinian's and Fagans den, and having heard the language during a recent visit, you'd would have thought that the girls had their own rugby team. I'm not convinced by the party-line trotted out by the Matron either, still it would be interesting to hear other views.

A neighbour of mine has two boys there and they don't have any problems, However, they do play rugby. There could be a big difference between boys and girls.

Not an easy decision - good luck.

I live near the school and it has a good reputation in the local area. I don't know what that is based on though. Good luck!

PM sent...

emmz said:
hey

i got to DOYRMS

it is a really good school and i enjoy it sooo much

evoryone will love it

emmz

xxxxx
bigbird67 said:
Sack the English teacher perhaps?
I think that will go straight over her head.... :D :D

He/she has used the past tense, the present tense and the future tense all in one paragraph - of sorts. He/she will go far!

...and the further the better!

Litotes

I go to DOYRMS also and am in my fifth year at the school about to enter the Sixth form. Although the school isn't for everyone, and has certain aspects which may seem unnecessary for some. I believe that the school is much more than just a school and other than offering quite literally hundreds of extra curricular opportunities it builds friendships which will last for life. I disagree with the comment that the school is bad and the comment about the bad language may be true, but too be honest I think the language at our school is likely to be much tamer and nicer than that of many other schools you would come across. The dorm life is an experience and you either hate it or you love it, but I for one love the school and feel very privileged to be a member of such a community.

I was at DYRMS and would recommend it, but that was a good few years ago and pre-co-ed.

I have friends whose kids are there now (girls) and have nothing but good things to say.

And, when I was there, Sac was a language teacher, not English :D

FiveAlpha said:
rsmdoyrms said:
member of staff, check the user name???
Oh right! Failed WO1 who couldn't make the grade at RD.
Unlikely. QVS (Scottish equivalent to DoYRMS) also has an RSM - a much-prized job, currently occupied by a total star of a bloke.

It's more likely to be the kind of job where you need to have been a successful WO1, in order to stand a chance of getting to the interview...

I spent 7 years there, and it definitely isn't for everyone. There's all the little cliques and favourtism you'd find in any school, but you can't leave it at the gate at the end of the day.

On the other hand, it did right by me in terms of qualifications, and the most sensible thing I ever did was not leave after my 5th form. I have no idea what the dorm life is like now - certainly there was a lot of drink going round when I was there, and when my sister left some time later it hadn't changed much.

If they don't like it, there's not much point in forcing them to stay, but if they can find their feet, they'll do better from it than from their local school.

Hi. NOt only am I an Old Boy of the school but I had a brother who went, and I also sent my two daughters there. They both achieved well, but they both had different experiences.

the elder of the two had ahtrd time, I never knew little girls could be so bitchy. Howevere, the bitches that made her life hell left at the end end of the 5th year. My daughter went on to get 12 GCSEs and 3 A Levels and is now at Uni. She was also Band RSM and thouropughly enjoyed playing at Twickers before the Army v Navy rugby for 3 years running.

the other one had no problems, had lots of friends and never had any bitchy problems. I think it all depends on the people in the year. She left with 13 GCSE and 3 A level and is at Queens Belfast University.

No it is not for everyone, but if you want a steady education with a school and staff who thouroughjly understand the military, the upheaval and lets face it from time to time the tradegy then the DYRMS is for you and yours. I am an ex Education Officer and even though I am biased as an OB I would recommend the school to anyone in the military contemplating boarding school education. All the kids there ahve at least one parent who has served in some branch of the Armed Forces. They all know military life and what it can and cannot do. Its a great school

By the way, the last RSm was Ex Guards...you don't get that for skiving, and although I don't know the present RSM that well, he had a tough time getting through the interviews...the post is much sought after.

I have just left DOYRMS. And i regret ever going to the school. The first couple of years were really good. This was back when Haig (junior house) was run by an amazing man Mr Pearce who had old school values and views that made us all good people. Now however after a reform courtesy of a new deluded headmaster and appointments in the senior management team and RSM the school has become an wishy washy establishment where staff think they are army officers and like to rule small children's lives.

I could rant on for a fair while about a failing school. The school did have a alcohol problem but because of teachers ( RSM, Saunderson, Birchey and Whale) teenagers turned to drugs as it was easier to obtain. 30 odd 14-16 year olds got suspended or expelled because there needed illegal drugs to have a good time at this school. So keep your kids at home where you can keep an eye on them whilst letting them live a normal life and have fun or send them away to a school which is falling to pieces, where they wont get good grades and they will turn into junkies.

your choice

robbo123 said:
I have just left DOYRMS. And i regret ever going to the school. The first couple of years were really good. This was back when Haig (junior house) was run by an amazing man Mr Pearce who had old school values and views that made us all good people. Now however after a reform courtesy of a new deluded headmaster and appointments in the senior management team and RSM the school has become an wishy washy establishment where staff think they are army officers and like to rule small children's lives.

I could rant on for a fair while about a failing school. The school did have a alcohol problem but because of teachers ( RSM, Saunderson, Birchey and Whale) teenagers turned to drugs as it was easier to obtain. 30 odd 14-16 year olds got suspended or expelled because there needed illegal drugs to have a good time at this school. So keep your kids at home where you can keep an eye on them whilst letting them live a normal life and have fun or send them away to a school which is falling to pieces, where they wont get good grades and they will turn into junkies.

your choice

Oh Dear! This young lad clearly didn't think very highly of the place! I bet they don't put his testimonial in the school prospectus! We used to play against them when I was at a school not far away in Kent (but a bit more 'upmarket'!!) - we called them the 'Sheep-shaggers' back then as they'd had a problem with mind bending drugs: the poor 6th formers involved went over the road and terrorised the local farmers ovine stock! Our Scrum and lineout calls always started with a loud Baaa! But they did provide the best post match teas . Mind you, all this took place in the 1970s

Latest Threads