Downsizing.

Coming up to retirement (again) I am spending time on rightmove looking for where I might maximise the pecuniary advantages of selling whilst still staying within easy driving distance of the grandlings. A sensible and responsible approach you might say. It has become increasingly apparent that areas with either demented lefty MP's or loads of unemployed parasites offer the best financial solution but a very poor potential for a serene retirement. I have decided to stay where I am and continue working (part time).

Become a pikey. Job jobbed.
Your not far wrong I've seen a number of older folk down size the house and either buy a flat and a large motorhome/American RV and go womble around Europe and Morroco for a couple of years or buy a flat and bin the RV when they are done.

Me, If I ended up single again I'd seriously consider a bit of ground out in the sticks and a few shipping containers shoved together and converted into a house some cracking one out there.

Your not far wrong I've seen a number of older folk down size the house and either buy a flat and a large motorhome/American RV and go womble around Europe and Morroco for a couple of years or buy a flat and bin the RV when they are done.

Me, If I ended up single again I'd seriously consider a bit of ground out in the sticks and a few shipping containers shoved together and converted into a house some cracking one out there.
Canal barge would be something I would consider as well.

Canal barge would be something I would consider as well.
Look no further than my part of the world, the black country, up here we have 76 miles of rural canals, more per square mile than Venice, slap bang in the middle of 4,700 miles of the UK's extensive system. its possible to go from north Yorkshire to somerset, via london, wales and the norfolk broads on water, many canals linking up with major rivers.....just a few random thoughts!

Become a pikey. Job jobbed.
My dream was to live on the river in a palatial gin palace with twin diesels. I saw a nice Grand Banks for 70K, it could still happen but she looks pretty healthy to me.

Look no further than my part of the world, the black country, up here we have 76 miles of rural canals, more per square mile than Venice, slap bang in the middle of 4,700 miles of the UK's extensive system. its possible to go from north Yorkshire to somerset, via london, wales and the norfolk broads on water, many canals linking up with major rivers.....just a few random thoughts!
Black country!! you racist bastard, even your flag has got chains on it, white gammon bastard that you are, I bet those canals were dug by unsuspecting paddies who had no idea that they were the blacks of Europe !! educate yourself you scaley imperialist, I am ashamed of you.

Last edited:
Black country!! you racist bastard, even your flag has got chains on it, white gammon bastard that you are, I bet those canals were dug by unsuspecting paddies who had no idea that they were the blacks of Europe !! educate yourself you scaly imperialist, I am ashamed of you.
By the snooks of doom sir, you have gone to far, my seconds will be calling on the morrow, my gaff or Sennelager ranges, the next full moon, your choice of weapons, may i suggest the new improved turbo powered pace stick, from the makers of the Nimbus 2000. As used by a Mr H Potter. ( bring sarnies and flask.)

Black country!! you racist bastard, even your flag has got chains on it, white gammon bastard that you are, I bet those canals were dug by unsuspecting paddies who had no idea that they were the blacks of Europe !! educate yourself you scaley imperialist, I am ashamed of you.
Is it scaly or scaley? I like to get my insults correct if I can.

By the snooks of doom sir, you have gone to far, my seconds will be calling on the morrow, my gaff or Sennelager ranges, the next full moon, your choice of weapons, may i suggest the new improved turbo powered pace stick, from the makers of the Nimbus 2000. As used by a Mr H Potter. ( bring sarnies and flask.)
Naw, I will just remove the batteries and watch the panic whilst juggling my 18" adjustable

Not having a go, youngest broke my heart and is now at 15 Regt, systems something or other, likes it and is jockying for the tighthead slot against some Fijians, I still hold my head up high despite having a Scaley in the woodpile.

My dream was to live on the river in a palatial gin palace with twin diesels. I saw a nice Grand Banks for 70K, it could still happen but she looks pretty healthy to me.

Wunh?

Why on earth would you do that?

Not the boat-on-the-river thing but the type and style of boat which features in your dream.

A Grand Banks is designed and built for open water, coastal and off-shore, not for chugging along at no more than 5 knots on the UK river system.

It would have to the river system'cos the bloody thing would be too big for the canals.

Have a look here: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/buying-a-boat-fantasy-or-reality.262326/

Wunh?

Why on earth would you do that?

Not the boat-on-the-river thing but the type and style of boat which features in your dream.

A Grand Banks is designed and built for open water, coastal and off-shore, not for chugging along at no more than 5 knots on the UK river system.

It would have to the river system'cos the bloody thing would be too big for the canals.

Have a look here: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/buying-a-boat-fantasy-or-reality.262326/
I live beside the Tamar near Plymouth, enough water for an aircraft carrier mate.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads