Download WWII game-free-Steel Panthers NERD ALERT

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Virgil, Jan 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some of you may remember the Steel Panthers series or have the free SPWAW (World at War) download.

[Any other suggestions as to free or not free WWII games?]

SPWAW's great for the WWII fan; everything at the battalion/Company/Squad level for the most part.

For those who'd be interested the game has been free and downloadable for a few years now. It's about a 450mb or so file.

You get 'points' and choose your nation's WWII army complete with that nation's TOE (US: Table of Organization and Equipment not sure of the Brit Army term) for that year. Play the computer solitaire or another player via internet.

A WWII nerd's dream.

MR. LINK

Some screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I used to play steel panthers 2 and the modern warfare update-pretty good tactical game, there was a campaign in the modern one where you where a USMC rifle battalion fighting the Chinese in a hypothetical invasion of Taiwan, which was hardcore as you were attacked by a brigade strength enemy supported by armour, and you have to rely on arty and fast air to have a chance! Well recommended to those who like their games complicated...

3. Heh, just thinking about that scenario, when you started the game you had a half-hour long (real time) prepratory bombardment from the chinese, so you had time to watch the TV until the enemy artillery had finished!

4. I've had the same thing done when I push the 'max points' button. The fire exchange can take forever and you sort of get that 'oh no' feeling as you see one of your units go down, but it's a lot of fun.

5. At the risk of being an uber-nerd, there is another WW2-era game to consider based on the original Steel Panthers game of last century..... It, too, is available as a free download:

http://linetap.com/www/drg/SPCamo.htm

Should you be more interested in the post-1946 world of combined-arms combat, you may also download (for free) WinSPMBT from the same link.

6. At the risk of being an uber-nerd, there is another WW2-era game to consider based on the original Steel Panthers game of last century..... It, too, is available as a free download:

http://linetap.com/www/drg/SPCamo.htm

Should you be more interested in the post-1946 world of combined-arms combat, you may also download (for free) WinSPMBT from the same link.

7. Company Of Heroes Greatest WWII RTS ever made. Historically correct units, proper accents , suppression , flanking , the works. Very clever.

8. Have played this family of games since their inception (indeed the SSI Panzer Genral series also) and the independant FREE offshoots previously mentioned are very good indeed. The amount of weapons systems in the game beggers belief and most of them are pretty acurate as to how they would be in the 'real' world. Only problem I have is the lack of HESH for the Brits and the fact any member of the M1A1 family onwards are particularly difficult to kill, far harder to pop than Leo 2's and CR2's for e.g.

I have now played a few what if's using the current top of the line Chinese gear vs USMC, Brits etc - very tough to beat the CPU when its Chinese the numbers coming your way take a toll eventually, especially when your MBT's start running out of anti-armour rounds!