• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Downgraded For Years But Selected For Promotion

I can't understand how permanently downgraded tradesman are coming off promotion boards.
Have the rules changed or are reporting officers being less than honest?

Phil, I've just looked at your 'started threads' you come across as a fat, useless idiot, and an admin nightmare. I met your types in the corps. Do the REME a favour.........sign off.

It was the same in the AGC, I once met a Captain who had been permanetly downaded and had never done a fitness test since leaving training; but had still made WO2 and then LE commision. It was commen for a permanety down graded person to be promoted, but when we deployed to Iraq in 2005 we had a prpblem as most of our Cpl's and 1 Sgt were noft enough to deploy, in a small Det it can cause big problems. Although when I was attached to the Artilery the CO at the time refused to promote anyone who was downgraded and could not pass a fitness test, the number of downgraded personnel fell overnight; it seemed a good policy.

They might be selected but as there are no downgraded J/SCLM courses, surely they wont promote due to the fact of not being qualified.

You now have to be MFD for the ACSLB. This can be got round by having an appendix 9 from the Doc, however if no AFT pass on ACFC 3 you will not scroll.

B

Biscuits_AB

It was the same in the AGC, I once met a Captain who had been permanetly downaded and had never done a fitness test since leaving training; but had still made WO2 and then LE commision. It was commen for a permanety down graded person to be promoted, but when we deployed to Iraq in 2005 we had a prpblem as most of our Cpl's and 1 Sgt were noft enough to deploy, in a small Det it can cause big problems. Although when I was attached to the Artilery the CO at the time refused to promote anyone who was downgraded and could not pass a fitness test, the number of downgraded personnel fell overnight; it seemed a good policy.
**** being able to string a coherent sentence together, a soldier should be promoted on his ability to run faster than his mates.

B

Biscuits_AB

I can't understand how permanently downgraded tradesman are coming off promotion boards.
Have the rules changed or are reporting officers being less than honest?
Maybe it's simply because they are better than you. It happens.

I understand your frustration, however, you can't blanket-bomb everyone with the downgraded thing.
I am permanently downgraded -MLD- and have been for a good few years. In that period I have promoted from CSgt to WO1 and am on the LE commissioning board next month. Although I am perm downgraded, there is nothing that I cannot do that a fully medically fit person can do. I have deployed on ops and not just a base rat, patrols etc too.
Downgraded personnel are looked at on an individual case by case basis, and although there are plenty of O2 thieves about there are also plenty who -like me - just need a few happy pills every day, and can perform as good as, if not better, than their fully fit counterparts.

I understand your frustration, however, you can't blanket-bomb everyone with the downgraded thing.
I am permanently downgraded -MLD- and have been for a good few years. In that period I have promoted from CSgt to WO1 and am on the LE commissioning board next month. Although I am perm downgraded, there is nothing that I cannot do that a fully medically fit person can do. I have deployed on ops and not just a base rat, patrols etc too.
Downgraded personnel are looked at on an individual case by case basis, and although there are plenty of O2 thieves about there are also plenty who -like me - just need a few happy pills every day, and can perform as good as, if not better, than their fully fit counterparts.
Spot on about the foolish stereotyping. If the reports written are strong enough to earn a place on the promotion list and a vacancy in the next rank will accept the level of downgrading specified then well done that soldier for rightfully earning the promotion. Methinks most reporting officers can readily work out those who hide behind their downgrading and those who work through it during a reporting year. The downgrading may be the fault of the Army - within sensible limits we owe a duty of care.

Christ ... I have to work hard at being a soldier and don't expect to promote again, but it's unfair to promote downgraded soldiers over fit ones regardless of how well they can spanner.
Admit it you're just not very good.
P.S it's very brave of you to put a gif of yourself exercising at the end of your posts.

Christ ... I have to work hard at being a soldier and don't expect to promote again, but it's unfair to promote downgraded soldiers over fit ones regardless of how well they can spanner.
Right - this seems to be something you haven't grasped (or you are over simplifying your posts for brevity) - below are 3 examples, which type of bloke is first pick for a tour and thus, by definition, the best?

Fit bloke - legs it about like Seb Coe but is so thick he can't even spell AESP and antagonises everyone else in the workshop by wandering around dripping like a fecked fridge about not getting enough time to train for his ultra marathons despite barely being able to to find his own toolbox.

Fat bloke - world's best VM but can't deploy because he is so fat he has to be stitched in to a set of coveralls made out of an 18x24 tent.

Average fella - good tradesman, good bloke, perm. limited deployable but still passes AFT & PFA and can deploy outside of the wire.

Clearly everything is about some sort of balance - downgraded is not 'one size fits all' and by constantly dribbling on like it is you don't come across particularly well. Plenty of fellas kicking about with non lower limb injuries that don't affect 99% of their employment who you would consign to the scrap-heap on the basis of being downgraded - mild hearing loss in a tech storeman for example, why would he not be promoted if he scored highly enough?

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
It is something that is currently under review - mainly due to the whole "one size fits all" problem. We have a senior Cpl who went to the last board, and through doing sport from the Service he sustained a rather nasty injury to his knee and is now undergoing MRI, key-hole surgery, the lot. The low-down is that he has now been made non-deployable for the foreseeable, and cannot promote, despite 'picking up' because - as my upright spinning scientific phenomenon friend has already pointed out - he has to pass PFA and AFT for that year along with all his MATTs. Likewise we have someone in the same boat in terms of PFA and AFT however, his lack of physical agility is down to eating his own body weight in pork scratchings, as opposed to smashing himself for the good and benefit of the Corps. Therefore it is currently being looked into that cases may need to be decided on individual merit. I suspect that the current 'blanket' regulations that we are currently enduring are down to the recent redundancy issues that APC Glasgow have been snowed under with - and hence a lack of time and resources to be allocated to things like this particular issue.

The standards are quite simple.

To go to the board you have to be able to complete a JCLM/SCLM. Part of the criteria for this is being able to complete all MATTS in that year - which include the PFA and AFT.

If they get loaded on the board they meet the criteria, if selected for promotion they must attend JCLM/SCLM within that year (rare exceptions due to operational tempo). If they don't attend and pass JCLM/SCLM (which once again includes the PFA & AFT) then they don't keep the rank.

Instead of dripping about it perhaps you should go on one of the REME APC Roadshows and listen to what the SO1 REME APC has to say about it all, instead of being "too busy" aka skiving in the pissed mattress store.
That standard is supposed to be the same for the loggies as well. But apparently it isnt (they just say it is) there are people turning up on RLC PNCO/JCLM course and failing a PFT. They are not RTU.

Quite a few loggies (I should imagine its the same REME) upon be forced on to a course (Having got a 6 month extention on their year, as its also for biffs not just those on tour) make a miraculous recovery that makes the raising of Lazarus seem minor, until they get the pass certificate at which point their old injury plays up again.

Stacker, it's supposed to be an Army-wide policy. How it is implemented is of course down to the whim/opinion of the personnel conducting board loading/course loading/course conductors.
Ive said the same before, but someone (I think it was CARRPS) said that because a PFT has different timings it cant officially be used as something to get on a promotion course.

Latest Threads