Downfall. Tonight. Film 4 21.00

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
I have visions of him bouncing away (save for the sand).

But then why add the fictitious bit about Hunt biffing a journalist?
It’s called artistic licence, added for dramatic effect. A far bigger fictitious scene in the film is In the final GP in Japan.
Lauda is shown campaigning to get the race stopped, whereas Hunt is insisting that the race go ahead. In fact, Lauda and Hunt (who were actually very good friends) discussed the matter and agreed that it was very dangerous; neither wanted to race.
It was other drivers, including Clay Regazzoni and Alan Jones, who pushed for the race to go ahead. Hunt fully supported Lauda's early retirement from the race, and always said he wished they could have shared the title. But they don’t let little inaccuracies like that get in the way and spoil a good story.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I believe that some film and telly company's now use re enactors.They (mostly) have the correct kit and equipment,and know how it should look. Better than dressing up a load of poncey actors,and I would think much cheaper.
I was an extra on the last season of 24; in one scene I was in I was a British Army officer in service dress.. I helped the wardrobe guys sort out the uniforms from the costume suppliers (matching hats with jackets, etc.). I then asked if I could wear my own uniform for the scene because it was a much better fit..

I thought the casting was outstanding, with most of the actors having an eerily close resemblance to their historic counterparts (less for the girl playing Traudl Junge, who was a bit too pretty for the part).

Hard to think of anyone who has done a more convincing portrayal of Hitler than Bruno Ganz.
Apart from Donald Trump you mean. hahahahahahahaha

Thought i'd get that one in before one of the resident yogurt knitters did.
I seem to recall when I watched Downfall experiencing a major and sudden disturbance in the pants when Junge dons a Wehrmacht uniform to try and slip out of the bunker.
Max Mosely walt.

I'm not disagreeing in any way mind you.

Back In Time

Clanker
Sorry about the thread drift but I didn't really know where else to place this.
The original Downfall thread dates from 2005, at least this thread is a little more recent.

Being a bit of a amateur WW2 locations geek, I find this film fascinating.
As times pass by & stories get muddled, it appears some confusion may have arisen regarding this film.

At the very end of the film, General Mohnke's breakout group No 1, including Traudl Junge, arrive at a brewery.
A Schultheiss Brewery.
I know it does not depict it as such in the film, but we know it was, because General Mohnke tells us so in James P. O'Donnell's book The Berlin Bunker, (page 322).
A map which shows us the route from the bunker to the brewery is also in the book.

Here took place a mass surrender of German Troops, possibly the last surrender of German troops in Berlin ?

Now here is the problem.

Another source map, (*see below), indicates there was no Schultheiss Brewery at this location in 1945.
Only the Malzbierbrauerei Groterjan at Prinzenallee 78-80.
Also google translate tells me this brewery was only taken over by Schultheiss in 1952.
Was General Mohnke or O'Donnell mistaken ?

Just to confuse the issue even more, the site "Traces of War" put the said brewery about 5K East of Prinzenallee on the now called Indira Ghandi Strasse at No 74.
Great if General Mohnke wanted to shorten his journey time to a Moscow prison cell.

Can anyone confirm as to where this significant event took place.
For what its worth my money is on the Malzbierbrauerei Groterjan, Prinzenallee, 78-80.
Part of the building still exists, and is now
-Dr Thiedig Gmbh, its an engineering solutions company.

So, just to sum up after this long ramble, here are the main points.
1 - The surrender took place at a brewery, that is certain. But at the time it was not a Schultheiss Brewery.
2 - The location is most certainly not where "Traces of War" place it.
3 - Is the building I have suggested correct.

SOURCES FOR THE POST

BOOKS
The Berlin Bunker - James P. O'Donnell
Downfall - By Traudl Junge with Melissa Muller
MAPS
* Berlin Allied Intelligence Map of Key Buildings 1945 - By After The Battle

Addition
I would have liked to have posted links to various maps & sites on the net but this site will not let me.
I think there might have been spam in there somewhere. Oh well.

Last edited:
The original Downfall thread dates from 2005, at least this thread is a little more recent.

As times pass by & stories get muddled, it appears some confusion may have arisen regarding this film.

At the very end of the film, General Mohnke's breakout group No 1, including Traudl Junge, arrive at a brewery.
A Schultheiss Brewery.
I know it does not depict it as such in the film, but we know it was, because General Mohnke tells us so in James P. O'Donnell's book The Berlin Bunker, (page 322).
A map which shows us the route from the bunker to the brewery is also in the book.

Here took place a mass surrender of German Troops, possibly the last surrender of German troops in Berlin ?

Now here is the problem.

Another source map, (*see below), indicates there was no Schultheiss Brewery at this location in 1945.
Also google translate tells me this brewery was only taken over by Schultheiss in 1952.

Just to confuse the issue even more, the site "Traces of War" put the said brewery about 5K East of Prinzenallee on the now called Indira Ghandi Strasse at No 74.
Great if General Mohnke wanted to shorten his journey time to a Moscow prison cell.

For what its worth my money is on the Malzbierbrauerei Groterjan, Prinzenallee, 78-80.

1 - The surrender took place at a brewery, that is certain. But at the time it was not a Schultheiss Brewery.

SOURCES FOR THE POST

BOOKS
MAPS

Addition
I would have liked to have posted links to various maps & sites on the net but this site will not let me.

Perhaps Mohnke simply got the name of the brewery wrong.
I doubt looking at a building name was high on his priority list at the time.

1642965941797.jpeg

Heidi.
Was on telly a while back, with MrsR and the kids watching.
I was pissing myself, expecting 'FEGELEIN!'

A Schultheiss Brewery.

Now here is the problem.

SOURCES FOR THE POST

BOOKS
MAPS

Addition

Firstly, bravo on your research, good drills. I'd have to agree with the above poster, that Mohnke was mistaken about the name, you said the name changed in 1952, I'm assuming the interview with him took place after this? The route of the breakout they took was intricately mapped out prior, in the bunker, so I would expect Wilhelm remembered going through a particular brewery, but over time had remembered the name as being the current one.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Book Reviewer

A Schultheiss Brewery.

Now here is the problem.

SOURCES FOR THE POST

BOOKS
MAPS

Addition
It won't be spam. You have to post messages a few more times to overcome this problem. The site software is designed to stop newcomers from posting pics straight off the bat.

Truxx

LE
I believe that some film and telly company's now use re enactors.They (mostly) have the correct kit and equipment,and know how it should look. Better than dressing up a load of poncey actors,and I would think much cheaper.
All the US HQ kit (typewriters, folding desks, notebooks etc) from Fury are in one of my sheds. And they are genuine WW2 stuff

I remember when I went to see the film the Baader Meinhoff Complex where Bruno Ganz plays Horst Herald, a German police chief thinking "whats the Fuhrer doing in this." It was the same when he appeared in the Reader with Kate Winslett.

Latest Threads