• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Down the drain.

Protests as police spend £10,000 on anti-racism CD guide for gipsies
By David Sapsted
(Filed: 31/03/2005)

A police force has spent £10,000 on CDs informing travellers of legal action they can take if they are the victims of harassment or discrimination.

J Parkers

The move has astonished householders who complain they are the ones suffering harassment at the hands of travellers who are setting up illegal camps in the countryside.

"It's a great shame that the authorities won't put the same sort of effort into protecting our rights," said one farmer who fought an expensive legal battle to get travellers off his land.

"We are the ones whose lives are being ruined by the illegal camps, anti-social behaviour, intimidation and criminality."

The 2,000 CDs are being distributed free to families in the Fenland area of Cambridgeshire, which has the country's largest concentration of travellers. Another 500 CDs are being sent to local police officers to ensure they are aware of the travellers' rights.

Called Del Gavvers Pukker Cheerus' - a Romany phrase meaning "give the police a chance" - the CD has been funded by the Home Office and is designed to encourage travellers to report incidents of discrimination. Other police forces are now showing an interest in distributing copies.

Sgt Vic Galpin, hate crime manager of Cambridgeshire police, said: "People see a lot of negative publicity about travellers and very little about their plight.

"We spoke to young gipsies and travellers across Cambridgeshire and 68 per cent had suffered some form of racist discrimination in the recent past but none said they would go to the police because they thought they would side against them.

"We are trying to address this and break down some barriers."

Jake Bowers, a Romany journalist, narrates the CD, which includes an interview with Chief Supt Simon Edens, commander of Cambridgeshire's central division, which includes Fenland.

Interviews with travellers, recounting the "racism" they have suffered, are also included on the disc.

It was decided to use a compact disc, rather than a leaflet, to make the message more accessible and to overcome any literacy problems.

David Bailey, traveller and diversity manager at Fenland district council, which is helping to distribute the CDs, said: "We have found that people in other minority groups, such as the lesbian, bisexual and gay community, are much more confident in making complaints to the police if they fall victim to hate crime.

"Unfortunately, travellers don't have the same confidence."

Terry Brownbill, a spokesman for the residents' association in Cottenham - where locals complain that their lives have been made a misery since the arrival of hundreds of travellers on an illegal camp at nearby Smithy Fen in 2003 - remained unimpressed by the scheme.

"It's a bit rich that the scheme is being launched and they are spending money on the travelling community, when the settled community has been so discriminated against by the police and local authority for the last two years," he said.
© Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2005.

Ten grand? That's enough to pay a young copper for 6 months. Another copper on the streets though, wouldn't satisfy the council's 'diversity requirements'. Wouldn't it be nice if the public actually had a say in where their money went?

Is this not an insult even to their intellegence, assuming that they do not know how to go to the police if they are the victims of crime?

Why didn't they give that money to me and I would have spent it on curry and sprouts. I would then have collected my farts and used the said gasses to heat a small nursing home or childrens ward for weeks.

Surely this is a more sensible suggestion. Any more bright ideas about what to do with 10,000 big ones?

AR

What exactly is their plight? Is Sgt Vic Gilpin checking up on their tax discs, unlicensed shotguns etc? Is he he listening to "settled residents" FFS! Views? If he had any bottle as a decent cop he should be doing a seroius sneaky beaky and then.........UNLEASH HELL!!!!!!

unlikely tho

It was decided to use a compact disc, rather than a leaflet, to make the message more accessible and to overcome any literacy problems.
So these people aren't educating their children, which is a legal requirement?

The majority is now the oppressed minority

£10,000 could buy plenty of barbed wire to keep the buggers in,.. plus where have all those Anti personnel mines that are now banned gone, liberally scattered around the encampments....

A criminal waste of money,... these people have given up laws that we abide by...

as you say, this is half a years salary for a fresh Bobbie.. would have been better spent..

It also assumes these people are PC literate and have access to the hardware needed!!!

And they wonder why so many of the 'majority' feel helpless and opressed in their own communities.

Minorities are by the very definition a small part of a community, why should they have large sums of money spent specifically on what the powers that be think are what they require, rather on the whole community.

If elections were run on the same basis they would not be classed as legal. I mean, when did a minority have more voting power than the rest of the electrate?

Tooldtodieyoung said:
It also assumes these people are PC literate and have access to the hardware needed!!!
No, it's an audio CD because they don't want to discriminate against those that cannot read (read the article more thoroughly before releasing safety-catch)

most of them are not even romany there irish tinkers who paddyland has had enough off and are forcing them all to come here by passing some truely non pc laws

I suppose we would all like to be left to live our lives in our own way.
However we are called upon to conform to certain basic standards of which the majority are common sense, thats how we got the Ten Commandments which are same same-ish, for every religion beleif I know of.
The traveller wants the best of all worlds takes what he can, avoides paying all he can and then has the neck to scream Racisam when required to conform to what he does not want to do.
How often do I see some 'backwoods pesant' of zero education use a phrase on Human rights, theoretical idiology that seems to have originated in the mouth of Christian Amanpour or which ever of the new generation of doom bringers the Beeb now employs, since the 'demise' of the Angle of Death Kate Aidei. Where ever they go so does destruction and misery for the population, only the birthrate and use of high faluting phrases increases.
john

One of the most depressing parts of this report is the fact that the Police are now capable of appointing some of their officers to the post of "Hate Crime Manager".

I do despair.

No one minds travellers, its when they fcuking stop that they cause trouble!!

The arrogance of these people, demanding the right to live an alternative life-style but then demanding that those of us in the mainstream support them by our taxes! They are rude, ignorant and these days don't even paint pretty flowers on wooden buckets - KFC bargain buckets nowadays...

You can call me a bigoted retired officer but then again, I am. More importantly I live in a rural area and I'm fed up with catching some Fenian bastard inspecting the lock on my outbuildings and then being offered plant at knock-down (i.e. knock-off) prices that probably was stolen from my neighbour. Thank god for the trusty Beretta and a deep slurry pit is what I say...

Awol said:
Protests as police spend £10,000 on anti-racism CD guide for gipsies
By David Sapsted
(Filed: 31/03/2005)

A police force has spent £10,000 on CDs informing travellers of legal action they can take if they are the victims of harassment or discrimination.

J Parkers

The move has astonished householders who complain they are the ones suffering harassment at the hands of travellers who are setting up illegal camps in the countryside.

"It's a great shame that the authorities won't put the same sort of effort into protecting our rights," said one farmer who fought an expensive legal battle to get travellers off his land.

"We are the ones whose lives are being ruined by the illegal camps, anti-social behaviour, intimidation and criminality."

© Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2005.

Ten grand? That's enough to pay a young copper for 6 months. Another copper on the streets though, wouldn't satisfy the council's 'diversity requirements'. Wouldn't it be nice if the public actually had a say in where their money went?

Guess the theft rates of laptops will now soar thru the roof.... 8O good move there Cambridgeshire Constabulary .... :? Unless of course the CD also loads a virus that downloads the contents of the toe-rags computer to the local nick and then trashes it :lol: :lol:

Ya couldnt make it up .... Vote Labour :twisted:

Awol said:
Sgt Vic Galpin, hate crime manager of Cambridgeshire police, said: "People see a lot of negative publicity about travellers and very little about their plight.
"Unfortunately, travellers don't have the same confidence."
Sorry to use bad languge but: Male cow excrement!

I live near one of those cambridgeshire infestations. and worked next to one. Most of what you hear is right. the state they've turned the area into is amazing. It looks like the Milton rubbish tip has migrated up the A14!

I belive that £10,000 worth of napalm would solve the problems far better than a damn CD.

All the poor Travellers want is free food, free clothing, the ability to move anywhere and set up on anyone's property, free of charge or rent.
Doesn't society owe these people support in their way of life?
They have their own laws, which they apply and enforce. This surely should be recognised as being valid?

Why shouldn't the Police protect that?

:D

armourer said:
The reality is, these scum are like bogus asylum seekers, surplus to the worlds requirements.
Excuse me but is it now time for the "Hitler wasn't all bad" quip gentlemen? Or can we maintain this debate at its current level for a brief moment longer?!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

At least one Police Force has the right idea about these scum:

POLICE recovered stolen goods and vehicles worth £75,000 after raiding a travellers’ camp.

Cops found six caravans, two trailers and a quad bike, all believed to have been nicked.

Other items in the haul were a pressure cooker and an industrial decontamination kit — being used as a shower block.

Five people were arrested following the dawn raid at the Tall Trees site near Almondsbury, Gloucs — which has planning permission for caravans.

The recovered items were towed away.

A spokesman for Avon and Somerset Police said: “This sends out a clear message — we will not tolerate people benefiting from victims of crime.”

Inspector Richard Corrigan said: “Police will always act on intelligence from the public.

“We encourage anyone with information to contact us to make our communities safer.”

One resident, too sacred to be named for fear of reprisals, said: “Before they moved in this place was full of trees and green shrubs. Now it is filled with litter, battered caravans and big lorries.”

The swoop came days after officers were called to the site to recover the body of a lurcher dog that had been hanged from a tree and stoned to death with bricks.

Officers are still appealing for witnesses to the attack, which happened in full view of passing motorists.

Pasty Boy said:
At least one Police Force has the right idea about these scum:

POLICE recovered stolen goods and vehicles worth £75,000 after raiding a travellers’ camp.

Cops found six caravans, two trailers and a quad bike, all believed to have been nicked.

Other items in the haul were a pressure cooker and an industrial decontamination kit — being used as a shower block.

Five people were arrested following the dawn raid at the Tall Trees site near Almondsbury, Gloucs — which has planning permission for caravans.

The recovered items were towed away.

A spokesman for Avon and Somerset Police said: “This sends out a clear message — we will not tolerate people benefiting from victims of crime.”

Inspector Richard Corrigan said: “Police will always act on intelligence from the public.

“We encourage anyone with information to contact us to make our communities safer.”

One resident, too sacred to be named for fear of reprisals, said: “Before they moved in this place was full of trees and green shrubs. Now it is filled with litter, battered caravans and big lorries.”

The swoop came days after officers were called to the site to recover the body of a lurcher dog that had been hanged from a tree and stoned to death with bricks.

Officers are still appealing for witnesses to the attack, which happened in full view of passing motorists.
Thats just discrimination that is, why cant the Police just leave them be, my middle class guilt is just too much :? .

The ROI seems to have the right idea "you are not Romany, youre just scum now Feick off.... the Brits are suckers these days go over there"

Latest Threads