Down Jacket advice

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Rocky_Yeti, Dec 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right as the long haired general didn't pick up on any of my hints before Christmas I’m off to treat myself to a down jacket for the countless trips to many amazing defence estate dotted around the UK over the winter followed by a winter deployment to Afghan at the back end of next year.

To start with I’m not interested in trying to be some SF/Blade look'a'likie so North face is out (also think there kit has taken a nose dive over the past few years in build quality) and have had my eye on one of the following:-

Alpkit Filo- Good looking at the specs but there having trouble with their suppliers but still only £76

Mountain Hard wear Below Zero-Bit more cash but looks good on paper.£150

Rab Neutrino Endurance - Most expensive at around £176 but had a Rab peak smock years ago which was a top bit of kit.

Find myself draw to the Rab as I of the you get what you pay for school of thought. So just wanted a point of view from anyone who has used any of the above jackets I have had a trawl through the climbing forums but just wanted a military slant on anybody points of view?

2. use the search function ;)

3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Sounds strange, I know; but with the skiing season now on us check your local TK Max.

They do a decent line in winter outer garments, but usually last years style. I've seen several decent jackets in there, at seriously knock down prices and picked up a full length Driza-Bone a couple of years ago for £50 odd.

4. I've got a Rab one (looking at the website its the Peak). Its the gay blue colour.

Been very happy with it, despite what people say I've had it washed at the dry cleaners a couple of times and its been fine (rather than send it off to Rab).

PS - the shiney looking ones look awful!

5. It is interesting that they don't seem to have produced anything which outperforms down. I take it that new waterproof fabrics mean that there's a move back to down from synthetic because it is now easier to keep down dry (wet feathers being a bad joke)?

6. I have a Rab Neutrino. It's the absolute dogs.

Pricey I know but the quality is second to none. I find it to be TOO warm for the UK though!

7. Try Mountain Equipment gear. GoOutdoors have got a deal on at the moment.

I've had a ME down jacket for about 6 years, and it's the business - not too pricey either.

Good luck.

8. This is ok for the price Mountain Equipment Odin in blue

http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=5200

or

The North Face Nuptse is £89 in a sale at cotswold in red & blue only. Plus if its BFPO you get the tax off, all items not in sale get a 10% discount for HM forces.

9. get a rab neutrino as mentioned before its the dogs, great for when you are rco etc

10. Ive got the Rab peak, cant find any faults at all with it, like another poster has said, maybe a little to warm in the U.K. unless you do spend time out in winter months.

11. I have a very lightweight down jacket from PHD, nice quality, got it in one of their sales. They also do a waterproof outer version, which is handy. Saying all that, I have a Alpkit Filo for colder times, and for the money its incredible value. Very warm and build quality is good ( had it 2 winters). Only downside on the black version i have is the collar is a very light grey micro- fleece. Stands out like the dogs proverbials and not practical . However, have worn it in a heavy downpour and the water beaded off and did'nt penetrate, thats after a years use. I dont think you can go far wrong with Alpkit stuff.

12. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Rab Neutrino owner here too. Very good bit of kit. Kept me warm! Only problems with it is that It's not really designed to do much more than mong round in it, the outer is quite thin and can rip easily. You can get reinforced ones but I think it sort of defies the point really.

Rab do have a factory outlet though, loads of mates have gone there and picked up some good deals there...

13. Cotswolds Outdoor also have 40-60% off several of the aforementioned jackets if you move fast on their website.