Down graded spongers

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Deep swimmer, May 22, 2006.

?
  1. Yes

22.2%
  2. No

33.3%
  3. Only if they do nothing to help themselves

44.4%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How many downgraded people do you know who get the same as you for doing next to nothing? I'm sick of those who skive all physical activities, don't even attempt physical tests because they've "been diagnosed" with bad knees through pie eating. The odd bloke who does his bit after an injury is OK, but there aren't many of them. Those who are FE are left to do all the Op tours, leaving their loved ones behind, year after year, while those skivers draw the same pay to spend on fags, chips and booze.

2. It depends - do you think that somebody who has been downgraded due to an injury caused by Army sevice, should then be payed less? And only the people who don't mind fcking themselves up even more, should carry on receiving a normal wage?

Errrm, then no...

If you mean someone who is playing on it, then yes.

3. Lets hope you deploy on OP's, fcuk your self up and return to your unit for downgrading and a paycut you fcuking MONG!!!

4. I bet your a fcking awsome boss 8O 8O 8O

Why do I get the feeling you lack intelligence?

5. What a well thought and well reasoned post............

There are different levels of being downgraded and i know lots who still deploy on Op tours if the injury allows it. Your obviously bullet and IED proof and would never get injured so its easy to sit on your self built perch and be judgemental.

What about the ones who dont like pies and dont smoke, should they get a little bit extra, or is diet a consideration ? Hey why not dock people pay for taking smoke breaks, what about Corp/Arm sportspersons, maybe we could dock there pay due to you having to do all of their tours too.

And what about females who get pregnant ? Thats not fair either is it ?

I see your point about the serial downgraders who make no effort at all, but im sure if you went to rehab and spoke to some of the guys and girls injured on Ops you would get a very warm welcome, just make sure you ban them from beer, pies and ciggies. Im sure they will recover in no time at all.

Maybe instead of pay cuts a more robust rehap system might help and perhaps encouragement might lesson your burden slightly. Dont forget will your vast Op expierience you are never far from being put in the same situation as the people you despise so much.

I for one am proud that individuals like you are really looking into the problem and coming up with some sound and worthwhile suggestions.

Great post though

C

6. I fcked up my knee, whilst doing an ACFT as part of Op tour training, so because of it I never deployed on Telic. Now, two years later I'm a civi, with constant knee pain in both knees and I was told by the physio I had arthritus (though she wouldn't write this in a statement for PAX). I'm 25 now, but I was 23 when I was told this.

Still, obviously, when I was on crutches and going through rehab, I should have taken a pay-cut. Fcking tosser.

7. I bet your a fcking awsome boss

Lets hope you deploy on OP's, fcuk your self up and return to your unit for downgrading and a paycut you fcuking MONG!!!

Ah, I see I have touched a nerve pie boys. So you don't know anyone who skives? Can't be many of you around! There are some people out there who do get terrible injuries, and do everything they can to be as fit and able as they can, and we should support them as much as possible to the nth degree. But there are plenty more who weigh 16 stone+ through no phys and too much food and beer. They then get downgraded because their body can't deal with their excessive weight. Should we reward them with a good wage, pension etc, while there are plenty of people who get the same money for actually doing their job and being professional soldiers, away from home and being in danger. Whose side are you on? Don't you support the people doing their bit, or the ones that aren't? And you think I've got it wrong?

8. Well as long as they don't impose pay cuts on stupid people who make sweeping statements and tar everyone with the same brush you'll be able to afford your mineral water and yogurt. Shouldn't you leave it to the doctors to decide why they have downgraded someone and what action they recommend to be taken?

There are plenty of skinny blokes out there who run like the wind but can't carry weight. What you going to do about them? Force feed them pies? Or maybe just make sure they only have to run without their kit? You're the expert who knows who should go and who should stay, same pay or a cut depending on how much they can carry? Please tell oh 'wise' one.

9. Now thats a bit more reasoned

Got to disagree about attempting physical tests whilst downgraded (pies or no pies). Wouldnt that make the injury much worse and in turn a much greater turnaround to being fit for all Ops ?

Maybe some do nothing to keep the weight down, i know what you mean there, and it is annoying to say the least, but the sweeping generalisation you first made just doesnt fit most downgraded people, yes some but not the majority. What about suggestions other than a pay cut, IMHO this should be a very last resort and should only be for people who are not downgraded but continue to gain weight and fail/not attempt the basic physical tests. Being downgraded is to many the breathing space they need without pressure to get back on track.

Lets not forget, nobody is going to thank you for permanently injuring yourself by being a hero by attempting physical tests, what they will thank you for is getting yourself back to fitness (maybe through rehap but depends on the injury) and becoming a full member of the team again.

The problem with cutting pay is that every single case is very different, how could you possibly decide who and how much ? Dont worry so much about missing loved ones, we all have to do it at some time, your not unique in having to do a tour. What about getting paid for the amount of tours you do ? LSSA and bonuses spring to mind ? Do you think you should be paid less than people who have done more tours than you ?

Nothing in life is truely fair, but hitting things with a heavy hammer seldom brings the results you think it will, why not encourage downgraded people and help them become fit again. If that fails buy the NAFFI out of pies....

C

You seem to have issue with pies, were you bullied by one as a child ? Got to admit i prefer pasties but each his/her own.

10. Ah, I see I have touched a nerve pie boys. So you don't know anyone who skives? Can't be many of you around! There are some people out there who do get terrible injuries, and do everything they can to be as fit and able as they can, and we should support them as much as possible to the nth degree. But there are plenty more who weigh 16 stone+ through no phys and too much food and beer. They then get downgraded because their body can't deal with their excessive weight. Should we reward them with a good wage, pension etc, while there are plenty of people who get the same money for actually doing their job and being professional soldiers, away from home and being in danger. Whose side are you on? Don't you support the people doing their bit, or the ones that aren't? And you think I've got it wrong?[/quote]

Touched a nerve my arrse!! I run a sub 8 minute BPFA, am as fit as a fiddle and still think you are a simplistic MONG!!!!!!!!!

11. There is one good side to this those ***** don't get promotions good cr's etc when they're down graded and in my battalion they don't get para pay if they're not fit to jump and they don't get the satisfaction from their job they mite seem happy being the colourman's lil bitch dishing out scoff when you're pissed wet through freezing after blitzing through a coy attack range in otterburn or jumping in overhead assault onto stanta followed by three days live firing you know and they do! even tho they don't show it that they're ashamed of being downgraded whilst the good shit is happening !!!!!!

12. Ah Deep Grinner, I mean swiimer.

I see you are backtracking on your initial statement, still I feel the need to say:

I am one of those who was injured as a result of the Army, weigh over 16 stone, but 6'5" don't smoke and not too keen on pies, obviously it is all my fault, strange though how I have still managed to do 3 Op tours whilst downgraded and NEVER once been a hinderance on any of those who work alongside me and climbed three ranks since downgrading, and maintain a good level of CV fitness, how does that make you feel cheezer? Annoyed, angry, aww didums never mind it is a fact though!

I presume you are one of the 'Strong in the arm, thick in the head' brigade who thinks because they can run, dig and jump then they are the dogs swingers? (not stereotyping all those ultra fit chaps/chapesses who don't have a chip!) I personally feel that unless you know what you are talking about you should shut up as you are cetainly using this site to show your are an ARSE! When you have been in the Army for more than one calender year and have advanced through the stages of puberty and acne then please feel free to return with a sensible argument you blithering pleb!

Toodle Pip!

13. I am downgraded (P3LE) through a serious injury (OK, I broke my neck - is that serious enough for you?). I cannot do BFT/CFT because of the nature of the injury.

HOWEVER...

I can do my job (I'm a clerk). I can deploy to my normal job on Ops (I am deploying this year). I can't go on the front line (where-ever that is these days), but as a SNCO Clerk I wouldn't do so anyway in the normal run of things.

I do limited PT, with a Physio's guidance (usually in my own time, because my boss won't release me for PT because I'm downgraded). I am not overweight. I do smoke, but I have for years - even when I could do a decent BFT. I work more hours than the average soldier (as do all clerks). So, do I deserve a pay cut? No I blooming well don't.

14. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

If anyone should have their pay cut because of downgraded soldiers, perhaps it's their Officers and NCOs who don't manage them effectively to ensure they get back to fitness as quickly as possible.

You know - the people who constantly use the biffs to cover for others so they can go to PT; the ones who don't ensure the biffs attend hospital appointments; the ones who don't take the time to sit down and encourage the unfit and downgraded to get fit again...

15. If a person is a skiver abd plays on those "injuries" he has then he should get an admin discharge

BUT

Those who have an injury related to service and are thus downgraded should receive more pay to compensate for the lower quality of life!