Builds Douglas A26 Invader Airfix 1/72 scale kit with airwaves PE set

time to have a go at the Gasoline truck that will be in attendance of the Invader.
truck art.jpg

first of all, it's a very odd kit, most of which I'll take with a pinch of salt, but I'll show it for it's comedy value, starting with these, stickers, no use to man nor beast.
crap stickers.jpg

the instructions are of the same ilk, I'm sure the English is from a Benny Hill sketch.
rook front.jpg

the model itself doesn't escape criticism, two axles supplied, for a three axle truck
chassis, cab and fuel bowsers.jpg

I could have made the new Airfix tooling of this truck, but it assembled into a truck shape.
fuel truck unpainted.jpg

sprayed in Primer
truck in grey p.jpg

then a few sweeps of differing green shades
painted Olive drab.jpg

the decal for the bonnet taken from the decals spares box. with a wet coat of matt varnish waiting to dry.
wet matt varnish djpg.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
time to have a go at the Gasoline truck that will be in attendance of the Invader.
View attachment 580541
first of all, it's a very odd kit, most of which I'll take with a pinch of salt, but I'll show it for it's comedy value, starting with these, stickers, no use to man nor beast.
View attachment 580542
the instructions are of the same ilk, I'm sure the English is from a Benny Hill sketch.
View attachment 580543
the model itself doesn't escape criticism, two axles supplied, for a three axle truck
View attachment 580545
I could have made the new Airfix tooling of this truck, but it assembled into a truck shape.
View attachment 580547
Where the hell did that come from?

on the edge of the Gasoline truck box, an advert showing other kits in the range. the left picture shows the artillery tractor.
gas truck side of box ads for other kits.jpg

I have this kit in it's original Hasagawa state, though it's half built, the instructions are fine, no crap diagrams or Benny Hill language
instructions for artillery tractor.jpg

I later learned that the Tractor wasn't used to tow the long Tom, a later, larger more powerful version was built for that job, it's a superb Piece of artillery, but way too heavy for the M5 Tractor.
box art for Hasagawa long tom.jpg

Was the M5 tractor used for re-supply of shells and charge bags, perhaps? Might have been nearby in the logistics tail, but it does look a bit small to be dragging one of the M2s cross country.

Was the M5 tractor used for re-supply of shells and charge bags, perhaps? Might have been nearby in the logistics tail, but it does look a bit small to be dragging one of the M2s cross country.
I think the M5 was used to tow the 105 Howitzer. or a Yacht for Captain Maintland in Kelly's Heroes.

Last edited:
starting on the Concrete base for the Invader 30cm x 28cm and a much smaller base for the "Super High Tech Jet Fighter" Saab JAS 39 Gripen my previous project.
first I smeared a thin coat of car body filler, let that dry.
concrete base b.jpg

then when that was dry, sanded out the larger faults and rough edges to produce a nice concrete surface, with a knife line down the centre for the expansion joint, I dunno, does concrete expand in the sun? Maybe just a concrete join then.
concrete base.jpg

the two Gas Guys get their ejector pin marks and casting air holes filled with mr surfacer.
gas guys e.jpg

Slime

LE
starting on the Concrete base for the Invader 30cm x 28cm and a much smaller base for the "Super High Tech Jet Fighter" Saab JAS 39 Gripen my previous project.
first I smeared a thin coat of car body filler, let that dry.
View attachment 580858
then when that was dry, sanded out the larger faults and rough edges to produce a nice concrete surface, with a knife line down the centre for the expansion joint, I dunno, does concrete expand in the sun? Maybe just a concrete join then.
View attachment 580860
the two Gas Guys get their ejector pin marks and casting air holes filled with mr surfacer.
View attachment 580861
Has the chap on the right just done an extraordinary long stool, or is he raising his hand for ’snake **** sex’

I think we should be told :)

Slime

LE
Back to being serious.
Is there a ‘how to’ guide on any of the modelling threads for Mr Surfacer?

Slime

LE

Chef

LE
sprayed in Primer
View attachment 580549
then a few sweeps of differing green shades
View attachment 580550
the decal for the bonnet taken from the decals spares box. with a wet coat of matt varnish waiting to dry.
View attachment 580551
Considering the efforts you went to sorting out the rivets on the Invader, how come you left the ship's rivets on the sides of the cab?

I'd say it's deffo ex Hasegawa, they produced a lot of airfield vehicles both US and Japanese, including as I recall a Hucks starter for the Japanese.

Slime

LE
As the aircraft may have been lined up neatly on the apron they might have often started their engines in roughly the same place over and over.

Maybe some soot from a radial start up would be something different.

Many RAF bomb tractors seemed to get to the aircraft over grassed areas, so maybe some muddy tyre tracks.