Builds Douglas A26 Invader Airfix 1/72 scale kit with airwaves PE set

This is and old kit first released in the early 70's. Though this is a later boxing with an alternative post WW2 night fighter option.
airfix box art a.jpg

I'm doing the 16 gun ww2 version in various shades of aluminum, a beat up old war bird, on the ground with all hatches open and a fuel truck in attendance, diorama.
I'm building it with the airwaves pe set. Just to lift it a bit.
pe set for the wrong plane.jpg

one interesting area of this build, is here in the pe instructions, the canopy hatches open.
canopy diagram.jpg

this is going to make or break this build, cutting that canopy without it shattering or splitting.
kit canopy.jpg

another part of the plan is to sand off all the impossibly large rivet and raised panel line detail, and paint the model exterior using differing shades of aluminum to show the different panels up.
fuselage test join.jpg

sanding down the rivits.jpg

first adding the pe floor detail to the cockpit, then the engine control lever slots and the pilots control yoke, that is made up using the kit column and the pe handles and cables.
cockpit floor.jpg

just to show how impossibly small, the levers are that fit into those grooves in the cockpit, you can see a cocktail stick pointing to them.
pe 17 control levers.jpg

this is what I'm aiming at it looking like, but on the ground being refueled. (and not with the Roy Cross fireworks of course)
invader older artwork ally.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
first adding the pe floor detail to the cockpit, then the engine control lever slots and the pilots control yoke, that is made up using the kit column and the pe handles and cables.
View attachment 579095
just to show how impossibly small, the levers are that fit into those grooves in the cockpit, you can see a cocktail stick pointing to them.
View attachment 579096
Hell's teeth, I thought @Simmerit was mental, but you. . .

I hate the PE stuff - only used it a couple of times.

Kudos to you chaps who make it look easy!

Slime

LE
I’m going to suggest a left field model and finish suggestion.

Make it to represent the aircraft used in the film ‘Always’.

If you are unfamiliar with the film it’s a romantic film set around aerial firefighters, has a an unusual plot, and is worth watching just for the flying scenes.

Always liked the A26 (later B26 designation) Invader. Even used in the Bay of Pigs invasion:

blog-a-26_mg_2979.jpg

blog-a-26-detail_mg_2964.jpg

440px-Douglas_A-26C_Invader_435440_Tamiami_26.04.09R.jpg

Last edited:

Slime

LE
Blatant thread drift alert. :)
Here is the opening scene to the film ‘Always’.

this is what I'm aiming at it looking like, but on the ground being refueled. (and not with the Roy Cross fireworks of course)
View attachment 579129

Don't suppose you'd be interested by a Congolese Air Force, around '66-'67, Kalemie-based version:

B-26K
Unit: 221 Escadrille, 21 Wing, 2 Groupement, Force Aerienne Congolaise
Serial: FM-662
CIA aircraft with full Congolaise markings. Albertville (Kalemi), 1966-1967. FR-649 has paintings like this one.

Artist: © Robert Craig Johnson
Source: Archives of Chandelle

1622963829776.png

... just for gits 'n shiggles, then.

tiv

LE
Don't suppose you'd be interested by a Congolese Air Force, around '66-'67, Kalemie-based version:

B-26K
Unit: 221 Escadrille, 21 Wing, 2 Groupement, Force Aerienne Congolaise
Serial: FM-662
CIA aircraft with full Congolaise markings. Albertville (Kalemi), 1966-1967. FR-649 has paintings like this one.

Artist: © Robert Craig Johnson
Source: Archives of Chandelle

View attachment 579223

... just for gits 'n shiggles, then.
There was an article on the 'K' in Aeroplane and it's use in Vietnam, a few images:

A-26K3.jpg

A-26K1.jpg

A-26K2.jpg

The Invader Soldiered on well after the 2nd World war, there are so many interesting and varied cam schemes, I've committed myself to a WW2 fitting the mounts for the turrets, but I had been drawn to this RAAF scheme on the paint box. Not sure if the Aussies used the Invader though.
artwork for Aus plane.jpg

the fuselage joined together, the nose is not fixed yet, it still needs a lead .36 ball as a nose weight, as it's on the ground. The nose is a good force fit and it's holding the forward fuselage tightly together.
joining of the two halves.jpg

later on I'll also be building this to go with it. It's been sat up there at the back of the stash awaiting just such a project.
truck art.jpg

Think I may have to up my game with those guns in the nose. Here's a closer view of the cockpit , needs a lot of detail painting there.
cockpit.jpg

The Invader Soldiered on well after the 2nd World war, there are so many interesting and varied cam schemes, I've committed myself to a WW2 fitting the mounts for the turrets, but I had been drawn to this RAAF scheme on the paint box. Not sure if the Aussies used the Invader though.
View attachment 579278
Herewith, some info, and I’ll have a dig around a bit more on Ronny RAAF’s use …

the nose guns fitted, the .36 cal lead ball left over from my black powder days, with a dollop of mixed milliput.
nose fit d.jpg

the guns ball and milliput in the nose.
nose fit c.jpg

nose fixed to the fuselage
nose guns.jpg

Latest Threads