Doug Beattie on Hard Talk Now

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Sven, Nov 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. News 24 right now.

Quite interesting.
  2. More than interesting - a must watch
  3. Would you like to explain why, maybe even a synopsis for those not on News 24?
  4. Doug's interview is on BBC Hardtalk site.
  5. I'll record it if it is on again at 04:30, and then put out a synopsis. It is on iplayer now so people can watch it there for the next day or so.
  6. Having watched the interview I will say that in my opinion Doug got the best of the debate.
    Steven Sakur tried to make some snide remarks along the Lines of Loyalty and Duty and Doug just accepted such as the normal way of life.
    Quite refreshing for little old me.
  7. Yes

Sakur pressed Beattie on several issues and the latter put him right every time.

I am downloading the interview as well as recording whatever is on at 04: and so hope to have a synopsis by tomorrow evening.

But now I'm off to my scratcher.
  8. An officer and a Gent, spot on.
    Try this link. Stays on the Hardtalk website indefinitely as far as I can make out. A must for anyone going to Afghan. Good to see the words in his book An Ordinary Soldier spoken by a real person. Great bloke. Army 1 BBC 0. Get in!
  10. It seemed that the interviewer at one point could not accept that we had made progress. He kept harking back to 2006. Doug was great at bring it all back on track - nice to see a "squaddie" get one over the journos for a change.
  11. If a few people on here need a synpsis doing then I am now in position to do this
  12. Spent a bit of time with him in Afgan, a top man, I have nothing but respect and admiration for him.
  13. Was that in 2006?