Double war grave photo

Thought fellow ARRSERS might be interested in this.

Don't know if this is the right forum but found this in my local cemetry in Idle, Bradford-never seen one before - looked up their names on the CWG site no info on them really so not sure if father and son as there is a 20 year age gap.

Attachments

What a terrible monument . I think 3 seconds looking at this will teach more about the 2nd world war than any amount of heritage shows put on by seriously overweight wehrmach re enactors.

Their records are on the CWG but no other info-pity as there can't be too many about, and it would be interesting to know how they got to be together.

From CWGC database

H W Russel was Son of Joseph and Alice Mary Russell, of Idle, Bradford

H G Russell was Son of William and Marion Edith Russell, of Thackley.

So not father/son or brothers - cousins??

ugly

LE
There is a double grave in Horsted Keynes village church yard, newly wed serving couple killed crossing a railway line going home from their reception!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

C

cloudbuster

There is a double grave in Horsted Keynes village church yard, newly wed serving couple killed crossing a railway line going home from their reception!

Is that the couple killed near Sharpethorne?

ugly

LE
C

cloudbuster

That's very near!

Thanks. Confirms a tale told by rellies about the dangers of dicking-about on railways. Used to holiday in Sharpthorne before the ressurection of the Bluebell Line.

From CWGC database

H W Russel was Son of Joseph and Alice Mary Russell, of Idle, Bradford

H G Russell was Son of William and Marion Edith Russell, of Thackley.

So not father/son or brothers - cousins??
Unless the 'W' in 'H W Russell' is for 'Wiliam', and that is what he went by?

All the best,

John.

In all the WW2 CWG cems i've been in the continent there are always a number with the headstones clustered very close together, no gap between. Would this be because the remains were found together & in a bad state so indistinguishable from each other? I did wonder if was tankie lads incinerated in their tanks but there were inf cap badges too. Quite sad.

There's a couple of graves in Ranville where there are three headstones touching each other side by side. Tankies presumably all in the same shoe box after it brewed up.

Not a pleasant job to clear up. Those blokes earned their money.

Off topic but I used to work with an ex-Para years ago who told of exercising in Libya in the 60's when there were still some tanks on the battlefields. He told stories of there still being remains inside them. Bollox or facts anyone ?

D_B