Double war grave photo

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by moggly, Jun 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thought fellow ARRSERS might be interested in this.

Don't know if this is the right forum but found this in my local cemetry in Idle, Bradford-never seen one before - looked up their names on the CWG site no info on them really so not sure if father and son as there is a 20 year age gap.

Attached Files:

2. Father and son presumably. How terrible for thier loved ones.

3. 22 year age gap actually as the elder died 2 years earlier than the younger.

4. They are in CWG database.

5. What a terrible monument . I think 3 seconds looking at this will teach more about the 2nd world war than any amount of heritage shows put on by seriously overweight wehrmach re enactors.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Not if they didn't like them

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cheers Flash I've always been a mong at Mathes or is it Maths ?, Me Ingerlish weren't that good either

8. I disagree. I think that's it great that the powers that be took the effort to reunite them, and bury them together when they could've just let them rot in a foreign field.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Their records are on the CWG but no other info-pity as there can't be too many about, and it would be interesting to know how they got to be together.

10. Actually it was my maths that were mong, I first put up an age gap of 18 years.

11. From CWGC database

H W Russel was Son of Joseph and Alice Mary Russell, of Idle, Bradford

H G Russell was Son of William and Marion Edith Russell, of Thackley.

So not father/son or brothers - cousins??

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There is a double grave in Horsted Keynes village church yard, newly wed serving couple killed crossing a railway line going home from their reception!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

13. Is that the couple killed near Sharpethorne?

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

That's very near!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk