Double tap?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by chrisg46, Aug 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

While watching a vid on youtube some time back of a unit conducting live firing, i realised that the shooting was all in double taps. I couldnt tell if it was one person doing it, or everyone was shooting double taps as SOP.
    Anyway it then got me wondering; just how useful are double taps? If you fire two shots per target, you effectivly halve the number of targets you can engage with one mag.
    On the other hand, if someone is worth shooting once, you may as well shoot them again?

2. I was taught to double tap while doing snap shooting, the reason i was given was that the snap shooting was to prepare us for some seriously close quater shooting (if it came to it, it never did luckily).

Not as in a FIBUA type fight but more an ambush in a built up area/close country where targets will be under 100m away when they appear.

Hope that makes sense, i know what i mean but im not very good with words, which has left me in this delicate conundrum.
  3. double taps i.e two rounds heading towards the target almost at the same time have, i'm told four times the kinetic energy and will create a greater shock wave infront of the rounds, therefore greater hit power overall to the water volume of the body.
    I'm no longer allowed to instruct double taps or sense of direction shooting as the law demands we justify and evaluate each round fired..
    there you go. hope that helps
  4. I thought people did double taps because of the 5.56 round.
  5. No Wah

Depends what your classing as double taps.

I'll take a stab at this.

"Them" double tap in close quaters to ensure that they hit the target as it appears very quickly at very close quaters and the likelyhood of hitting with one shot is reduced.

Infantry are taught to fire two shots as a reaction to enemy fire, i.e two rounds in the general direction as a spoiler, dash, down, observe, sights, fire or RTR as it is now.
  6. I find that double taps don't give the same temperature control as a classic mixer, but that is only my opinion and I'm not a qualified plumber.
  7. brill :D
  8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I'm assuming it's to get the target to fall down and stay that way as both rounds will not hit in the same place, thus causing more damage.
  9. My last two rounds fired in anger were double taps... Both Missed!!! :D

However this had the desired effect as my new best mate quickly raised hands and did as he was told.

Morale to this story.
    If you hit them once... Great
    If you hit them twice... Even better
    If you just miss them... They get the message

Its something i'd always encourage!
  10. I thought it was just an indication that the springs on the SMG were getting a bit tired.
  11. The US Army has modified it's rifle qualification test (there was a thread somewhere). A target has to be shot three (?) times before its recorded.

"How to shoot a double tap?" -
  12. I believe the double tap was brought about by the regiment because 9mm doesn't have enough stopping power when compared to a .45. Thr regiment didn't always have the funding and freedom of choice of weapons that it enjoys now. Don't know why we still use 9mm and havn't gone to .45, old habbits die hard I supppose.
    I believe they almost adoptyed the FN Five Seven, now that is an interesting pistol!
  13. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Double tap is when you kill them with the first shot and then kill them again. It saves suprises.
  14. They certainly stopped those buggers in the Embassy!! I thought nowadays they could just ask for something and get it.Would of thought they would of had the Five Seven for a while ,the round is differnt for a pistol.
  15. Triple tap when I went to school (mid-eighties) - two in quick succession to the body to slow him down and get his attention, third to the head.

A useful practice to conduct with SA80 if you have the time and ammunition is the automatic fire assessment. All practices are conducted with the change lever on automatic. A good lesson in weapon and trigger control.