Double braded lanyard quest.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by True2Blue, Jun 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right chaps, I have a question which I don’t suppose will be answered, but one never knows does one?
    In the photo the WO2 is wearing a double braded lanyard, which apparently only 2 para WO2 & WO1 had / has.
    (Not sure if the Btn still has today).
    This question has been passed around the Airborne community for some time now, and it does seem that there is no logical answer.
    Although I personally am quite au fait with our Regimental history, others including myself cannot trace the origin.
    Perhaps another Regiment / unit had the same?
    Any ideas or perhaps a logical answer / explanation would be most appreciated.

Attached Files:

• 744.jpg
      744.jpg
      File size:
      32.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Logically, if no one else knows anything about it then maybe he made it himself ?

3. He lost the proper one and pressed a pistol lanyard into service ? (see bottom right of picture)

4. As mentioned, 2 para wore them, but not 1 or 3 para.
    There must be answer, perhaps something from WW11?

5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

surely if it was a battle honorific like gun lanyards or bearskins then the whole battalion would have worn them.

not likely to be a trench warfare throwback is it from the desert - whistles perhaps?

6. A double braid would include two (2) cords... which could be a simple nod to the number of the battalion?

7. Thank you for your input M-M. That could be a strong possibility.
    None the less, why did 3 para not have 3 braded lanyards?
    The following could also could be a possibility;
    After the war the under-strength 2nd Battalion was amalgamated on 13 December 1947 with the 3rd Battalion to form the 2nd/3rd Parachute Battalion,
    which was disbanded the following year.
    Being joint 2&3 then perhaps donates the 2 lanyards. But why then only from WO2 upwards? (The mind boggles).

Or could it be from a then new 2 PARA, which was formed in July 1948 from the 5th (Scottish) Parachute Battalion I wonder?

8. that looks like an old 1960s pistol lanyard

9. No, the browning lanyard was of single type cord/type lanyard, if memory serves me well?
    Also the only others who were issued the 9mm, apart from officers, was the No; 1 on the gimpy.
    But it was normally carried in the front pouch and not in the holster.

10. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

What is the date on that photo ?

11. The lanyard in the photo looks identical in shape and quality to the lanyards still used by the Norwegian Army. These lanyards were introduced with the Norwegian units raised in the UK during the war (yellow-green for Recce, etc), and have remained unchanged AFAIK, apart from a rather tacky artificial quality of material introduced by the (probably) Pakistani producers.

So could it just be the "original" WW2 pattern lanyard that was phased out for privates, but with enough proffed by some QM to kept in use for NCOs?

12. Early 70’s NI.
    Interesting mm, the problem is it was only 2 para from WO’s upwards.
    There must be significance in ref to WW11, this is what makes it an interesting question. (To some of us).

13. Looks very like the whistle cord formerly worn by LI officers. I believe there was at least one WW2 para bn formed by wholesale conversion of a light infantry bn. Wikipedia says 7 Para was formed from 10 Som LI during WW2 and 17 Para, which was TA, from 9 DLI in 1947.

14. Thank you Vasco, I have just read through some of the data after your post, and although suspicions were of the strong connection with 7 RHA, (possibly the firing cord) if that is indeed what it was called?
    But still seems to be something of a mystery.

53rd (Worcester Yeomanry) Airlanding Light Regiment RA | ParaData
    17th Parachute Battalion | ParaData

15. After many sleepless nights, I have now received the answer to my original question.
    Be it that the answer was given today from a mucker who did produce original letters of some extremely high, in status.
    May I also state that every man jack who was involved or at the bridge, has been recorded and can be verified. FACT!
    (I'm sure those who are interested can read between the lines)?

The lanyard was awarded to The 2nd Parachute Battalion, Army Air Corps, 6th Airborne Division by Field Marshall Montgomery in December 1944, for being the only Battalion to achieve their objective in Operation Market Garden. FIGHTING AND HOLDING THE BRIDGE…………..Presented at Montgomery Lines, Aldershot.