Doss bags

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by aj2608, Apr 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. to be honest id go for snugpak

especially when you think youve got a bivvi bag as well.

2. Don't know about the elite range, but I've got a Softie 6 kestrel. The bag is good, bit cold on its own but if your wearing layers and you get an inner for it, it works well. Of course you can go higher, all the way up to the softie 12, but as yolu can imagine, the pack size gets larger, and it probably is possible to get too warm with layers on etc. if your just using it on exercise in the UK.

http://www.snugpak.com/index.php?MenuID=93-101

3. Most Brit army courses now state that during times of winter period, issue bag, or softie 12 can be used ONLY (this includes Brecon)

4. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Softie bags are fine for anorexic dwarfs but if you're a tall, broad-shouldered love god like me they will zip up to about your waist and that's it. I use the issue bouncing bomb when it's cold and the issue jungle bag when it's warm.

5. Which is fine if you don't have to fit anything else in your bergen, or have a bat-man to carry it for you.

I was a Softie 9 man and proud of it :D

Good for anything up to a medium/light dusting of snow.
    (Specs say -10 if you believe them).

6. The elite range is very good. I'm a broad shouldered six footer from the rough end of the trench and can quite happily fit in an Elite 1. Not sure about Elite 2 but it should be able to fit into a rocket pouch or take up minimal space in a bergen or patrol pack.

7. ok great thanks for all the info
    when it says the specs does that mean ground tempertaure or wind aswell?
    ta

8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Sleeping? You sleep? In 49 we used to go months on ops without food, water or sleep, just killin' and shaggin' and medals.

Grrrr

9. Seconded old boy! I've had mine down to -30 with a silk sleeping bag liner. It were fookin' freezing!

10. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

In fact I've used my jungle bag with a liner down around zero degrees and been warm enough, though I did have to keep my socks on.

11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

REMF....

12. I had a softie 9 which was ok until I used it mid winter at Barry Buddon.
    I was frozen.
    Admittedly, this was without a liner.

13. The specs don't really mean much at all. They're only a guideline and vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

14. ...because real men don't wear their socks in bed!