Doss bag

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by daywalker, Jun 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Gents, i have tried google on this but have come up with about 101 different answers. What is the lifespan of your average Synthetic doss bag that has seen a fair amount of use in the military arena?

2. I'm 25, thanks for asking!

• Like Like x 1
  3. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Anyone ???

4. Piece of string question mate.

5. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

That's kind of the answer I got from google to, worth a try though !

6. Not sure why you are asking the question though.

7. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

I have had my softie 12 now for 7 years, after speaking to some outdoor Jedi type blokes they informed me that doss bags do have a lifespan and after so long they lose a degree of there filling/ability to to provide warmth. Since none were in the military they couldn't really help me on what ''normal use'' is, I was wondering if anyone here has the knowledge of both worlds to help shed some light on the matter.

8. I've two buffalo bags must be 20 years old been all over the place but looked after well.

9. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

DW My green maggot lasted me 12Years from day 1 Bn -to demob , having done loads of tours. had a few holes and a curly wurly in it when handed in. does that help your research.

10. I used my Bufallo sleeping system for over 12 years before some **** stole it. The inner was great for summer, the outer alone was good for spring and autumn, the two together with a goretex bivvybag served me well in -36C in Norway.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Still have - and use - the green maggot replacement; the "sleeping system"; 4 season synthetic sleeping bag, goretex bivvy bag, and compression sack. Still going strong after, jesus, I cant remember how many years. At least 16 years, quite possibly 21+. And room enough, just, for two :)

12. Although your question initially concerned synthetic 'maggots' its still worth considering that bags made of down last longer than synthetic materials. Particulaly down from 'geese' raised in very cold conditions.

Canada Goose Down, Hungarian Goose Down, Siberian Goose Down... Which Is Better? (Discover the shocking TRUTH)

Rab do excellent down bags here in the UK Rab | Expedition 1000 | Expedition | Sleeping Bags | Products

Or for a cheaper but still decent down alternative ... PipeDream 600 Lightweight Mountaineering Sleeping Bag - Camping Outdoor Gear Shop - Alpkit

As you know down compacts more than synthetic equivalents but turns to 'mush' when wet.:-(

Ajunilak have the reputation for making the toughest and most long lasting synthetic bags. A classic. Ajungilak Kompakt 3-Season - Synthetic Sleeping Bags - Mammut

Softie do a decent alternative IMO ... Softie Chrysalis Autumn Sleeping Bags - Softie Chrysalis Autumn Outdoor - Leading Suppliers of Clothing & Sleepingbags - snugpak.com

Hope that helps?

13. **** down bags and the spikes from the feathers. Them issue bags were shite and the reason I bought a buffalo bag. Wet down bags are great for keeping in heat.

14. The old issue down bags where made, I believe, of cheap Chinese duck down and crumbled to dust very quickly leaving the spikes you speak of. Many modern down bags as I pointed out have a much higher quality down with a higher 'fill factor.' Many have a waterproof breathable outer shell negating the need for a separate bivi bag. The buffalo pile, great in the day is really rather bulky for the insulation you get. For a 'synthetic' bag these days I'd probably go for something like this ... Buy your SNUGPAK Code Green Softie 3 Merlin, 2 season Sleeping Bag from Surplus and Adventure secure online store