Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Door to door in Lockdown - claiming to be ex army

AliD

Crow
Can anyone tell me if they know of any Vets charities currently sending ex army lads out to do door to door selling in SE of England. I took shopping to my elderly parents in Kent today and found them about to hand over loads of £££ to two scrawny lads who claimed to be working for a charity that helps ex army people with PTSD. They were in my parents back garden, no masks, standing about a foot away from my dad, holdall open encouraging him to rummage through it. They freaked out when I appeared but my parents were completely taken in, then very upset afterwards when they realised these two had nearly ripped them off and potentially spread the virus.

I rang the police who gave none sh*ts. Emailed local councillors and MPs. Then found out from FB that the little liars had been all around town giving this story or that they were ex offenders.

I just want to check that there aren't any vets charities that are doing any legit work? I can't imagine they'd send people out in a pandemic but I want to check on here.

Any advice how my dad ought to deal with young men pretending to be ex army with PTSD if they come knocking again. I tore him a new one, but if you have any other ideas, I'd love to hear them. My dad is Glasweigan so I'm particularly welcoming any suggestions in the Scottish vernacular.

I'd also like to know if you've heard of this happening in this current lockdown anywhere else. The police are crap. Feel completely let down.

UKRaider

War Hero
source.gif

nottingham knockers
had them in gloucestershire
i just speak to them in Italian until they give up
try and get the reg of the minibus collecting and dropping them off if you can

ask them for their street Hawkers permit

I’m surprised its still going on. Had a couple of mates knocking about 35 years ago. They were trying to sell stuff like 50p dusters for a couple of quid a piece. There was no scamming involved (beyond inflated prices).

There's a worthless pos beggar giving it the sob story outside the Tescos in south croydon.

Ambles inside, stood behind the whiffy cnut who pays for a bottle of beer, 6 eggs oh and a number 2 scratch card.

Looked at what the f was a number 2" ahem" card -a fiver.

Bimble back out and guess who's in his oh woe is me pose on the pavement.

I don't think he was very impressed by my offer of swapping a slice of my loaf for his scratch card..no it's in your manky jeans...no no bruv...The ginger wretch oh and he was a 2...err 4 1...

I had some 'ex-offender' on my doorstep a couple of months or so ago selling cheap shit cleaning materials from a holdall. He got arsey when I informed him (quite honestly and politely) that I had no cash and hadn't used such since March. The dull scouse twat. I should've jammed the de-ac in his puss. He might've recognised that response better.

BigT

LE
There's a worthless pos beggar giving it the sob story outside the Tescos in south croydon.

Ambles inside, stood behind the whiffy cnut who pays for a bottle of beer, 6 eggs oh and a number 2 scratch card.

Looked at what the f was a number 2" ahem" card -a fiver.

Bimble back out and guess who's in his oh woe is me pose on the pavement.

I don't think he was very impressed by my offer of swapping a slice of my loaf for his scratch card..no it's in your manky jeans...no no bruv...The ginger wretch oh and he was a 2...err 4 1...

Every Tesco has to have a homeless vet with PTSD asking for spare change in the same way every pub has the second man on the balcony, I think it's some kind of law.

Can anyone tell me if they know of any Vets charities currently sending ex army lads out to do door to door selling in SE of England. I took shopping to my elderly parents in Kent today and found them about to hand over loads of £££ to two scrawny lads who claimed to be working for a charity that helps ex army people with PTSD. They were in my parents back garden, no masks, standing about a foot away from my dad, holdall open encouraging him to rummage through it. They freaked out when I appeared but my parents were completely taken in, then very upset afterwards when they realised these two had nearly ripped them off and potentially spread the virus.

I rang the police who gave none sh*ts. Emailed local councillors and MPs. Then found out from FB that the little liars had been all around town giving this story or that they were ex offenders.

I just want to check that there aren't any vets charities that are doing any legit work? I can't imagine they'd send people out in a pandemic but I want to check on here.

Any advice how my dad ought to deal with young men pretending to be ex army with PTSD if they come knocking again. I tore him a new one, but if you have any other ideas, I'd love to hear them. My dad is Glasweigan so I'm particularly welcoming any suggestions in the Scottish vernacular.

I'd also like to know if you've heard of this happening in this current lockdown anywhere else. The police are crap. Feel completely let down.
They're legit. Bung 'em a fiver.

My memory isn't very reliable these days - a combination of statins and beta-blockers perhaps ? - and could have sworn charidees are no longer allowed to do this so looked it up on the interweb. Apparently they're still allowed to do this but there are rules

I've had them round my way before, if they have anything I want I buy it if not then a "no ta mate" and they're cool with me. I've chatted and had a smoke with a couple of them, treat them like humans and they're fine, same as the rest of us really.

Theres door to door prostate checkers round here, he comes every week and always picks our house.

Do you flick them a finger when they turn up?

nottingham knockers
had them in gloucestershire
i just speak to them in Italian until they give up
try and get the reg of the minibus collecting and dropping them off if you can

ask them for their street Hawkers permit

I thought that Nottingham Knockers was a female stiptease act until I read about them in the local rag.

I didn't encounter them, but if I had, I would have spoken to them in a heavy Russian accent (complete with attitude) while regarding my survival knife.

EVERY single person approaching you in direct sales is in the "Devil Corp" network:

There's a MASSIVE amount online about these predators and I don't mind admitting, I got sucked in whilst at Uni. Spent 6 months in the cult before leaving - I was bloody good as well yet never made more than £200pw for 80 plus hours. It really is a cult yet some massive names use it. ANY chugger you meet will be part of this organisation, ANY door knocker likewise. The law has recently changed to recognise these poor saps as employed as opposed to self employed but it doesn't make a difference. Modern day slavery just the right side of legal.

Option 1:
"Can I see your charity ID please?"
"nah mate, I'm a pedler"
"Ok, can I see you peddling licence please?" (These are issued by local councils)

Option 2 (and my recomended answer, to avoid any possible incidents)
"No thanks!"
Close door, call police. (If they get aggressive/verbal or keep banging on the door 999)
Call the local council likely a trading standards dept.

Essentially, any legitimate types will be so lit up with ID badges and Hi-vis they'll be instantly recognisable. A lot of big charity's aren't interested in one time donations. How often have you tried to offer a Charity mugger in a town centre some cash, but they try getting you to sign a Direct Debit? They're all about the small donation via direct debit, that's how you make the big money.

On the complaint that police are not interested. They are, but it takes a bit of work to get them on it. Each time you call (or use the online chat) make sure you get a crime reference number. This means the call handler has to get it into their system. This will generate a piece of intel. Police will hardly ever act on one piece of intel. But if there's multiple intel hits all pointing to the same area, and the same people then the police do get interested. This is why it's always better for everyone effected by the incident to log separate calls.

Consider yourself thus:
You call the police. Report the incident, and say oh and there's 20 other people in the locale reporting similar on our village facebook page! and real off the names and addresses.
That's one crime number.

Or the police get 21 crime numbers submitted...

Which one gets a response do you think.

We had one a few weeks ago. Pissing down and he looked like a drowned rat. Gave me the story about joining the Army and he was selling items for charity as a part of his "joining up procedure".
I asked him what depot he was going to when he started. Rabbit in headlight moment. Apparently he couldn't remember.
He did however perform a very smart about turn as he left.

Latest Threads