DOOR GUNNERS PAY

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Deathfromabove, May 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. WHY DO DOOR GUNNERS NOT GET PAID FLYING PAY AND DO YOU NOT THINK ITS ABOUT TIME THEY MADE IT A TRADE?
    INSTEAD OF A COUPLE YEARS FLYING THEN BACK TO THE GROUND LOOK AT ALL THE EXPERIENCE THEY LOSE!!

2. Simple really, flying pay is for those who sit in the front and fly.

As for making it a trade, surely there would have to be something comparable in civi strasse. Nope, nothing springs to mind here!

As for the experience they lose, rubbish!
    How long does it take to be competent at door gunning? A couple of range days?
    Above that, the knowledge levels off and all are at the same level. Unlike actual flying, experience in sitting in the back of an aircraft, firing a gun and sliding a door does not vastly improve the person in time.

I would have thought anyone getting to be a doorgunner for a couple of years, out of the sigs/groundie world, should think themselves lucky in what they are doing at the time and not start to gripe when told they have to go back to normal AAC soldiering.
    Too late mate, you should have made the most of it while you could!

If you really want to compare it to anything in the real world, paramedics on some air ambulances are only allowed a 6 month post!
    When the a/c is down or the weather is bad, they go back to the road ambulances.

3. I know what your saying silsoe .We don't fly them but we get more involved in stuff know like planning routes doing the met brief theRAF rear crew get paid so why not us? :(

4. Is there any sort of "danger money" element to flying pay (covering increased insurance premiums)? At the very least, rear aircrewmen should be entitled to that IMO.

5. Why not give Door Gunners more money? Aircrew who fly desks get paid it. Surely everyone who see's fit to mince round in a flying suit all day deserves extra money, to help pay for their treatment!!!

6. Like a Tank commander? MLRS battery commander? Pathfinder? SAS trooper? match them in Civ Div?

7. The Door gunners now have to be submitted to a long course. Ask any Lynx pilot to fly on ops without one.

8. couldn't of put it better nil-oc , plus were not just gunners we do the old heli telli aswell :eek:

9. Not in 3 or 4 Regt they don't fella. Not that i reckon them not getting paid is fair though, and as for the comparable to civi street jobs, front seat crews don't get given a licence, so i guess it just comes down to the headshed being a bunch of tightcnuts as usual.

10. totally agree with you death from above my little slightly chunky friend :D but ave you checked your last statement you my have some extra beer tokens there ( all be jpa)

11. Hmm... does the Lynx have a crew chief like our birds do? He'd be an NCO responsible for aircraft maintenance who also doubles as a gunner. The other door is manned by an augmentee (usually a lower enlisted infantryman on a temporary assignment.) Our flight pay is based on being in an assigned slot and having met a requisite number of hours for the month so flight medics, crew chiefs, pilots, and door gunners all receive it as long as they gert the blade time.

12. 20nov well we have to do it a 5 regt mate :(

13. Nope nor do we talk funny, wear flags back to front, have a toss potfor pres/PM "oo er em" ...ho yes we do....But least of all we dont shoot the same side!! :x

14. Snore.

Khyros,

I think the closest think we have to a crew chief is the loadmaster.

Others, more versed than I will tell you about them, I'm sure.

15. Thanks Gingwar...

Our military has two sorts of loadmasters... US Army has a school of that name which personnel from all types of units attend to learn how to properly load aircraft and the USAF has a specific job title called that for a crew member on transports such as the C-17.