Doomsday Clock to advance...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Proximo, Jan 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists (BAS) have announced that the minute hand of the symbolic "Doomsday Clock" will move closer to midnight on January 17, 2007. This shift is the first such change to the Clock since February 2002. The clock currently displays the time as 2353hrs, or seven minutes to midnight.

The major new step reflects growing concerns about a "Second Nuclear Age" marked by grave threats, including: nuclear ambitions in Iran and North Korea, unsecured nuclear materials in Russia and elsewhere, the continuing "launch-ready" status of 2,000 of the 25,000 nuclear weapons held by the U.S. and Russia, escalating terrorism, and new pressure from climate change for expanded civilian nuclear power that could increase proliferation risks.

The 17th of January announcement will take place simultaneously in two locations: at 9:30 a.m. ET at the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Washington, D.C., and at 2:30 p.m. GMT in London at The Royal Society. Speakers will include Stephen Hawking, BAS director Kennette Benedict, Royal Society president Sir Martin Rees, Case Western physics and astronomy professor Lawrence M. Krauss, and International Crisis Group co-chair Ambassador Thomas Pickering.

2. They ought to hand control of this over to the RAF, it would be delayed for hours in no time.
  3. and we are suppposed to scared by what exactly? a bunch of scientists assuming that we are nearer to the end...whoopsie f(u)cking doo!!!
  4. I woudnt be quite so sanguine if I were you.

The Doomsday clock, if you look at it carefully, has been pretty damned accurate so far.
  5. Thing is, it isn't a predictive measure but rather a reactive one so should be accurate - if not they're pretty much clueless.

I'm also trying to work out exactly why a massive use of nuclear weapons was more likely in 1998 than during the Cuban missile crisis. There may have been more about, but they were massively less likely to be used.
  6. accurate because some scientist opens the case and moves the fecking hand backwards or forwards on the say so of a panel of his colleagues!!...mmmm I'll sh1t my pants now shall I??
  7. Generally accurate, but if you try to extrapolate where the line in the graph falls in October/November 1962.... Perhaps the clock had been put back with the end of BST?
  8. Whoops. Duplicate post.
  9. As far as I can see, it's shown the correct time twice a day for years, and moving it forwards, or backwards won't make a blind bit of difference to that.

If they just get it so it's 'radio controlled' from Frankfurt like my alarm clock, it'll nearly always be four hours slow, then we can fire the scientists!
  10. Where can I get one?
  11. What a great clock! I'm not quite sure what it does though. What happened to the old 4 minute egg timer? You know, the one that says, 'OKee dokee folks, you've got approximately 4 minutes to place the duvet over your head, kiss your arrse goodbye because you are all going to fry!' At least when that alarm goes off, you hear it on the radio, town sirens and people screaming.
  12. Wonder if Bliar has his version of the 'Protect & Survive' booklet where householders are expected to bag up earth and stack it against doors that lay 45 degrees to the upright?

Protection Factor my Arrse! [in fact as effective against a nuclear attack as New Labour has been against crime]!