Don't you just wish.

Brilliant,somewhere in Wales?

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Stupendous piccies! But why do they have to wear oxygen masks at such low altitude? Or is that just for the practice and to get used to them?

MsG

ACAB

LE
Stupendous piccies! But why do they have to wear oxygen masks at such low altitude? Or is that just for the practice and to get used to them?

MsG
I'm not an aviator but would imagine it may be because they may have to go from very low to very high rather feckin quickly depending on the situation and enemy response. The mask also encloses the comms eqpt enabling them to shout 'Tally Ho, Old Boy'.

Last edited:
Just think about 1965 to 75!

Hunters, Lightnings,Vulcans, Victors, Gnats, Jags, even JPs , must have had a hard on for days.

MsG
Good practice in the low level environment and high-g regimes. As is having a visor down in the event of needing to eject or having a particularly nasty bird strike, etc...

Bixslade

Old-Salt
Must go to the Mach Loop, been promising myself for years and never got round to it. Back in 2002 i was in the Elan Valley on the mountain bike. Whilst trying to stop me lungs from falling out after slogging over the Monks Trod, we had stopped for rest and were sat in the sun taking in the scenery. Could hear a jet off in the distance getting closer....and was surprised to see a Bucc at mid to low level.

Used to see them a lot back in the late 80s early 90s. We had RAF Kemble nearby which I believe was a maintenance base for F-15s and A-10s as well as Fairford (all sorts from B-52s downwards), Upper Heyford (F-111s), and Greenham Common(all sorts again) so US jets were a common sight. Its been years since I saw one flying around here outside of an international airshow though.

I'm not an aviator but would imagine it may be because they may have to go from very low to very high rather feckin quickly depending on the situation and enemy response. The mask also encloses the comms eqpt enabling them to shout 'Tally Ho, Old Boy'.

Flight safety both in fire and protection from flying stuff with bird strike, the hands free comms is in there too, there may be a sudden need zoom climb and in an ejection it keeps your face intact.

Once saw a hawk jock hit full frontal on the canopy by a seagull, visor, and mask saved him a lot of pain at 420 kts. Which made sure I kept both on.

Looks cool too and gives you that high pitch voice!

Latest Threads