Don't want one now- VC's construction

Pretty sure I've seen a cannon at Woolwich sans chopped-off cascabel and was told the bronze had been used for VCs, but no doubt the bronze was in demand anyway. Many Russian guns on display at various British towns went into the melting pot in WW1, and many WW1 German guns ditto in WW2.
Correct, it was on the walkway that ran past the parade ground.
You are right that the cascabel was (roughly) chopped off and we were all told that it was used for production of VCs.
I have no idea if this is true and if the cannon is still there.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I feel cheated. Let it be known that should my feats be recognised, and a VC awarded...I’ll be sending the bugger straight back!
Me too, but I'll keep the other one.

Is it just me or does the Guardian seem to take pleasure in the exposure of this tale?

Anything to denigrate and criticise their country seems to be their only motivation these days.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Is it just me or does the Guardian seem to take pleasure in the exposure of this tale?

Anything to denigrate and criticise their country seems to be their only motivation these days.
That would depend on which country they regard as theirs.

I think the lump at the jewelers (see Clarkson vid) will suffice for the time being.
As PDB said, awards will be rarer from now on.
There's a smallish lump with Hancocks, enough to keep them going for a while unless WW3 breaks out. There's a much bigger lump in Donnington:

Metal-crop.jpg

There's a smallish lump with Hancocks, enough to keep them going for a while unless WW3 breaks out. There's a much bigger lump in Donnington:

View attachment 488300
Thought so. Attended a presentation by a snotty chap from Hancock's at the V&A Museum a few years ago and he assured us there was no chance of running out for a good while. Not withstanding a Gallipoli 6 VCs before breakfast series of events!

Here's a more up to date version:

Surprised they got a chit to film from the MDP to be honest.

Bodenplatte

War Hero
Are the CANANZAC VCs being made by Hancocks from the Donnington lump, or are the Dominions sourcing their own bronze ?

I hear shattered remnants from the bells at St Trinians may be available.

Are the CANANZAC VCs being made by Hancocks from the Donnington lump, or are the Dominions sourcing their own bronze ?
They get a bit of the original metal to put in their version.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Thought so. Attended a presentation by a snotty chap from Hancock's at the V&A Museum a few years ago and he assured us there was no chance of running out for a good while. Not withstanding a Gallipoli 6 VCs before breakfast series of events!
According to Mark Smith at a presentation a couple of years ago, he believed the laurel "V" bars and the second award bars were made from melted down pennies during WW2 by Hancocks, which accounts for their brighter colour.

I got to hold a VC that day; it didn't fill me with martial fervour but it was sufficiently notable that I don't think I'll forget having done so.

How times change.......................................[whispers] We used to chuck that in the back of a 110 in its own little wood framed glass case to take around to schools, uni's and other recruitment events. Day to day it used to sit on the filing cabinet in the team room, or on the coffee table in the LtCol's Office up in Garrison HQ. When it was in the team room you would find the ocassional body quietly supping a tea looking at it.[/whispers]

Of course we also used to wonder out loud how much it would be worth if we accidentally lost it, had it cut up into little ingots and sold them to collectors.
You do realise that the version seen in messes, a couple of offices etc are copies?

You do realise that the version seen in messes, a couple of offices etc are copies?
Ditto museum display sets.
You CAN, if you have a good enough reason, get the original from Lord Ashcroft on loan, if he has it in his collection.
Costs a lot in terms of insurance, and also 'proper' security has to be in place, and approved.

Not being in any way technically qualified, a question for those that know; When a new medal is to be minted/cast does someone from the company just rock up and hacksaw a few ounces off the side, and then return the unused spigot? This has puzzled me for some time.

Not being in any way technically qualified, a question for those that know; When a new medal is to be minted/cast does someone from the company just rock up and hacksaw a few ounces off the side, and then return the unused spigot? This has puzzled me for some time.
One of the several articles mentioned that the medals are made in batches. As there isn't a 'hot' war going on, those batches must last a while. Due to the supposed low quality of the bronze, there must be a fairly high reject rate, as well as the structural bits of the casting, so maybe the foundry simply re-uses the scrap until they need a new lump from Donnington? Does repeated re-melting further damage the bronze, or does it drive out more of the impurities?

One of the several articles mentioned that the medals are made in batches. As there isn't a 'hot' war going on, those batches must last a while. Due to the supposed low quality of the bronze, there must be a fairly high reject rate, as well as the structural bits of the casting, so maybe the foundry simply re-uses the scrap until they need a new lump from Donnington? Does repeated re-melting further damage the bronze, or does it drive out more of the impurities?
the clarkson-quoted doccie shows a half-dozen or so in a drawer, ready for when needed.

Latest Threads