Don't want one now- VC's construction

Troy

LE
Here's one that definitely has not been made from the Russian guns.
It was worn by the biggest Walter Mitty of all time, the freak that was Idi Amin.
Walt VC.jpg

He called it his "Victoreous Cross". The ******* great twat. He made such fake of loads of the world's top medals trying to impress the natives. Really though it's just an insult to the everyone.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Aww what , it's not from the captured guns at Sevastopol, in that case I don't want one, yet another myth busted.

Does it really matter where the metal comes from or is it all part of the mystique, I suspect if I was awarded one (too late now) I would not have been pondering its provenance when I was bayoneting a platoon of the enemy or storming a machine gun nest. So is getting a VC made from a couple of copper pipes from Wickes enough, or would you send it back because it didn't have some history. I seem to recall I was told that the NI GSM was the most expensive medal to produce as it was part silver, but that might just be a myth too.
Isn't this old news ?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
On a visit to RAOC Donnington in the late eighties, I saw the lump of metal from which VCs were made, and was assured that it was all that remained of the Russian guns. I was informed that there was enough for around 100 more medals, made exclusively by Hancocks of London.
are their any others of those cannons that could be dragged in for cutting up ?

Is now a good time to bring up the subject of a Cold War medal?
Yes actually. It should be awarded to NHS staff, not for any reason other than it‘ll píss the usual suspects off.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I think the lump at the jewelers (see Clarkson vid) will suffice for the time being.
As PDB said, awards will be rarer from now on.
they tend to issue them on a pro rata basis so many per conflict per 100,000 in the military.

so they aren't likely to issue anymore unless it is to some woke type hero who operated an artisan bakery in ********* province under enemy fire.

arfah

LE
are their any others of those cannons that could be dragged in for cutting up ?
The Army Reserve Centre, Boxley Rd, Maidstone might still have one?
It’s stamped with a double headed eagle and was covered in layers of black paint. It’s not a big’un, though.

Otherwise, use a 3D printer.

Unremarkable

War Hero
Aww what , it's not from the captured guns at Sevastopol, in that case I don't want one, yet another myth busted.

Does it really matter where the metal comes from or is it all part of the mystique, I suspect if I was awarded one (too late now) I would not have been pondering its provenance when I was bayoneting a platoon of the enemy or storming a machine gun nest. So is getting a VC made from a couple of copper pipes from Wickes enough, or would you send it back because it didn't have some history.
I would suggest that the history given each by its recipient outweighs any prior history.

they tend to issue them on a pro rata basis so many per conflict per 100,000 in the military.

so they aren't likely to issue anymore unless it is to some woke type hero who operated an artisan bakery in ********* province under enemy fire.
NZ still annoyed so few chaps were awarded them at Galippoli, because the cnut in charge was going 'by the book' and/or awarding all his mates DSO's.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
NZ still annoyed so few chaps were awarded them at Galippoli, because the cnut in charge was going 'by the book' and/or awarding all his mates DSO's.
I thought post ww2 you had to be over the rank of Maj to get one.

other ranks just got a bag of chocolate money and some ribbon to make their own.

the nattily coloured nasty tape on the 66 practise rounds was fun for that.

Pretty sure I've seen a cannon at Woolwich sans chopped-off cascabel and was told the bronze had been used for VCs, but no doubt the bronze was in demand anyway. Many Russian guns on display at various British towns went into the melting pot in WW1, and many WW1 German guns ditto in WW2.

You could always get it chromed.

RigPig

War Hero
The wife has held the lump of metal in Donnington. That’s as close to a VC as I’ll ever get.

RP.

I think the lump at the jewelers (see Clarkson vid) will suffice for the time being.
As PDB said, awards will be rarer from now on.
How times change.......................................[whispers] We used to chuck that in the back of a 110 in its own little wood framed glass case to take around to schools, uni's and other recruitment events. Day to day it used to sit on the filing cabinet in the team room, or on the coffee table in the LtCol's Office up in Garrison HQ. When it was in the team room you would find the ocassional body quietly supping a tea looking at it.[/whispers]

Of course we also used to wonder out loud how much it would be worth if we accidentally lost it, had it cut up into little ingots and sold them to collectors.

Latest Threads