Don't Try This At Home...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Legs, May 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I admit it. I'm a fan of Marmite. Marmite sandwiches. Marmite on toast. Marmite mushrooms. Marmite potatoes. Marmite and cheese. Marmite crisps... you get the picture.

I also love chocolate. I love flavoured chocolate - especially Chilli Chocolate. At first I thought Chilli and Chocolate was a terrible idea. But I tried it and loved it.

So I thought with Marmite Chocolate. This stuff:
    [​IMG]

I opened the pack. The smell was of chocolate, with a faint undertone of Marmite. Not too unpleasant. So I tried a piece. The texture was (of course) chocolate. It even tasted of chocolate initially. Then came that salty tang (not that salty tang, you vile creature!). Then the full hit. And the full hit wouldn't fade. Now, that's not normally an issue with Marmite. I like the aftertaste. But this was of the worst type. Imagine all the animals in a Zoo were fed on Marmite. Then imagine they crawled into your mouth and had a shit. Then they made a nest, raised a family and they all died and decomposed. That sort of aftertaste...

So. If there is someone you hate that you are obliged to give a present to, get a bar of this stuff for them. If you need a gift for a friend you want to keep, steer well clear - and don't, whatever you do, try it yourself. You will regret it.

2. And still the aftertaste repeats on me.....

3. So you don't like it then?

Yet you make it sound so nice.

4. Maybe you should consider it as a punishment for actually liking Marmite?!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Another Marmite aficionado here - love the stuff! On bread and butter; toasted or not, in stews etc. With chocolate? Blurrgh. That's a combination that wouldn't work for me - it's like chocolate and peanut butter. I like chocolate and I like peanut butter, but just not in combination.

I once convinced a friend's kid that Marmite was made from MARmalade and terMITEs - based on that info, she decided to try Marmite on toast and loved it. Whatever it takes to get them hooked at an early age ...:muhaha:

6. I got some as a Christmas pressy, it went down a treat with a drop of red wine.

7. The smell of marmite on toast (and for that matter twigletts too) remind me of being skiffed.

8. I have an almost full bar here about to go in the bin. You can have it with my blessing you weird little man...

9. Could you put a couple of squares in a chilli to add flavour?

10. You can't throw it away! Give it to a homeless person and see if he eats it.

11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

looks good as marmite and butter go really well, I got a bar of the chocolate but havent tried it yet, if its that bad then on a potato with cheese and mayo might be the way to go. or as I add marmite to gravy then that might work as well.

as a kid mum used to put it on a bit thick so I would dip my sandwich in milk, nowadays I spread mayo on it - lovley. I shant mention the marmite and rice pudding incident though

12. There is nothing weird about Marmite Chocolate - just you didn't realize its for cooking. Makes a wonderful sauce for venison - want the recipe? Also have a recipe for Marmite Chocolate cake with Salty Caramel Buttercream

• Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  13. Try Marmite on buttered toast with mashed Banana. I stuffed myself with it whilst pregnant and my son and I are still slightly obsessed 8 years on!

14. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

beetroot and marmelade also works in a sweet and sour kinda way